Team News (current roster)

I don't like the possibility of the virus randomly passing through teams and distorting the strength of rosters. What happens if you catch a really good team when their starting 5 are in a two week quarantine? It's a giant cluster f***. TN has arguably it's best class in history signed and the season is in jeopardy... sheesh.

I don't like the possibility of the virus randomly passing through teams and distorting the strength of rosters. What happens if you catch a really good team when their starting 5 are in a two week quarantine? It's a giant cluster f***. TN has arguably it's best class in history signed and the season is in jeopardy... sheesh.

I posted about the integrity of the game being hurt that way last week. I think if one or two teams see multiple players hit with it basketball season will he stopped

I posted about the integrity of the game being hurt that way last week. I think if one or two teams see multiple players hit with it basketball season will he stopped

And California is only going to have online classes in the fall. How can they keep students away from campuses and bring in the student athletes to play without compensating them? College sports should just be shut down until 2021, but those making the decision are drawing 7 figure salaries and they're going to do everything possible to protect their pay.

BTW, what Basilio said was something like "it's always the guys that can't play that drags the virus in". He repeated it and said something like "and that's all I'm going to say about that".

It's on the 6/22/2020 recording of the broadcast at around 15-17 minutes in.

So it sounds like he's insinuated that either Uros, Pember, or ORN has the Rona.

I slightly lean toward agreeing with this BUT the key is we don’t know what if any long term effects there are to having covid. We know it’s far from deadly to athletes but it’s possible there are long term issues after having it.

Correct - the long term effects are not known right now. Perhaps you survive it, but your lungs or kidneys are such that you have issues down the road. Or perhaps you have underlying conditions that you weren't aware of. I assume China knows more about this virus than anyone else, and it is clearly doing everything it can to keep it from spreading there. That tells me a lot about what they think the long term effects might be.

Reactions: zaqhhh

Also makes me really question the likelihood of college football going forward. If I had to bet, it does not happen.

Since the virus doesn't tend to have deadly consequences for young people I'm more worried about the long term effects of it. When the virus was at its peak in NYC they weren't losing a large number of young people to it, but a good number were hospitalized with weird kidney and heart conditions from the clotting. I wonder how many athletes who catch it will come down with issues with clotting and embolisms.

BTW, what Basilio said was something like "it's always the guys that can't play that drags the virus in". He repeated it and said something like "and that's all I'm going to say about that".

So it sounds like he's insinuated that either Uros, Pember, or ORN has the Rona.

Definitely not Uros as he’s not here

Reactions: miket4god

This partly led me to believe it was Bailey.

Can you cite a credible study which attributes all flu deaths under 50 to no vaccine (I would guess it is probably the majority but no way is it 100% which is your premise as stated)?

Regardless of that, you are missing the point which is the odds of these athletes dying today from covid-19 is about as close to them being struck by lightning (and the continued testing continues to build more & more evidence of this) but it would be ludicrous to suggest we not play sports.

First off, I never said it was 100% or even implied it. You are jumping to a lot of conclusions that I simply didn't state. The stats regarding pediatric deaths are easily accessible. I didn't look up a study under 50, but there are no doubt people who die that are unvaccinated. I actually agree with you that Covid-19 doesn't effect young people that much. However, the premise that the flu effects young people more is skewed because of the very reason I stated- people don't take advantage of the vaccine. I never missed your point, but you moved the goal posts a bit from the original post in which I responded.

I never got the lightning comparison either. I seek shelter when it's lightning outside. Better yet, teams don't practice or play in lightning, and games are temporarily suspended when lightning is around for the safety of players and fans. It's a liability issue, just like the very issue we are dealing with. If the odds are so low to get struck by lightning, why don't they play? I'm not suggesting that we not play sports, but it just isn't that simple. It's difficult to navigate, and there are coaches, staff members, and fans that could be effected, and there are many that are 50+.

I thought about that but I think that Basilio had been talking up Bailey as a bit of a stud.

I'm failing at Rona Bingo. I had Vescovi, then Uros, then Pember.
I guess the phrase "it's always the guy that can't play" has multiple meanings. The sense they can't play because they aren't any good, and the sense that they can't play because they aren't eligible. The latter is the angle I took.

That, coupled with the two posters who have ruled out the names of some other guesses (as if they probably do know) have yet to rule out my speculative guess that it is Bailey leads me to believe that he's the one.

Could it be one of the walk ons or are they not on campus with the scholarship players yet?

First off, I never said it was 100% or even implied it. You are jumping to a lot of conclusions that I simply didn't state. The stats regarding pediatric deaths are easily accessible. I didn't look up a study under 50, but there are no doubt people who die that are unvaccinated. I actually agree with you that Covid-19 doesn't effect young people that much. However, the premise that the flu effects young people more is skewed because of the very reason I stated- people don't take advantage of the vaccine. I never missed your point, but you moved the goal posts a bit from the original post in which I responded.

I never got the lightning comparison either. I seek shelter when it's lightning outside. Better yet, teams don't practice or play in lightning, and games are temporarily suspended when lightning is around for the safety of players and fans. It's a liability issue, just like the very issue we are dealing with. If the odds are so low to get struck by lightning, why don't they play? I'm not suggesting that we not play sports, but it just isn't that simple. It's difficult to navigate, and there are coaches, staff members, and fans that could be effected, and there are many that are 50+.

"Your original post said that the CDC says that the flu is more deadly than Covid-19 for people under 50. Yes, unvaccinated deaths are VERY relevant because those people did not take advantage of a vaccine. That's the difference."

The bolded part of your statement above sure seems to assume all deaths were due to not taking a vaccine but maybe it was just poorly worded. Sorry you somehow missed the tongue-in-cheek tone regarding getting struck by lightning and wrongly tried to narrowly apply it to only playing sports versus recognizing it as a euphimism.

Regarding moving goal posts, my assertion has been consistent and simple and it is factually correct based on real data...the mortality rate for the flu exceeds Covid-19 for those under 50. You can spin it or explain it away however you wish but the simple point is that no sane or reasonable person would have argued in the past to shut down all sports (let alone the entire economy) for something less deadly than the flu (and, yes, hindsight is 20/20 - I suggest we all use it accordingly).

No need for us to carry on as I am not trying to belabor my original point or argue for argument's sake.

"Your original post said that the CDC says that the flu is more deadly than Covid-19 for people under 50. Yes, unvaccinated deaths are VERY relevant because those people did not take advantage of a vaccine. That's the difference."

The bolded part of your statement above sure seems to assume all deaths were due to not taking a vaccine but maybe it was just poorly worded. Sorry you somehow missed the tongue-in-cheek tone regarding getting struck by lightning and wrongly tried to narrowly apply it to only playing sports versus recognizing it as a euphimism.

Regarding moving goal posts, my assertion has been consistent and simple and it is factually correct based on real data...the mortality rate for the flu exceeds Covid-19 for those under 50. You can spin it or explain it away however you wish but the simple point is that no sane or reasonable person would have argued in the past to shut down all sports (let alone the entire economy) for something less deadly than the flu (and, yes, hindsight is 20/20 - I suggest we all use it accordingly).

No need for us to carry on as I am not trying to belabor my original point or argue for argument's sake.

You just misinterpreted it. Doctors will tell you the difference between the flu and covid-19, and I am not talking about Dr. Faucci either. Maybe we should try playing a covid-19 positive team against another in a lightning storm, and see how it works out. Your last sentence is probably your best one.

You just misinterpreted it. Doctors will tell you the difference between the flu and covid-19, and I am not talking about Dr. Faucci either. Maybe we should try playing a covid-19 positive team against another in a lightning storm, and see how it works out. Your last sentence is probably your best one.

Your inability to comprehend and/or accept a simple fact as reported by the CDC concerning the severity of Covid-19 in comparison to the flu for those under 50 says a lot about either your biases and/or lack of critical thinking. Also, I am glad you know what Doctors would tell me when the mortality rates say otherwise (or maybe you are arguing dying from Covid-19 is worse than dying from the flu...lol).

The funniest part of this dialogue was your failure to recognize that even with a vaccine (which you finally admitted at least some of those who died with the flu under 50 would have taken) the flu is MORE deadly than Covid-19 for those under 50.

But carry on and good day sir as that is my last reply to you on this topic.

Your inability to comprehend and/or accept a simple fact as reported by the CDC concerning the severity of Covid-19 in comparison to the flu for those under 50 says a lot about either your biases and/or lack of critical thinking. Also, I am glad you know what Doctors would tell me when the mortality rates say otherwise (or maybe you are arguing dying from Covid-19 is worse than dying from the flu...lol).

The funniest part of this dialogue was your failure to recognize that even with a vaccine (which you finally admitted at least some of those who died with the flu under 50 would have taken) the flu is MORE deadly than Covid-19 for those under 50.

But carry on and good day sir as that is my last reply to you on this topic.

I have found you to be a pretty good poster, so it’s no hard feelings. I guess my lack of critical thinking skills helped me through law school. I didn’t say anything personal to you- just that you misinterpreted it. This topic has just divided everyone, and some information is just being used for more than just health reasons (both ways). All I have said throughout this whole ordeal is to ask the doctors that you know. They may say different things, but most will tell you that a flu with a vaccine is different. Be safe.

VN Store

Back