Team News (current roster)

Is it possible that the flu (although it appears to change slightly between seasons) has been around long enough to develop some herd immunity whereas the COVID is relatively new with little herd immunity such that it appears more contagious?
Some herd immunity with flu, plus vaccines. But, all else being equal, Covid is more contagious....easier to contract.

Reactions: vols 30
Still amazing how some people don't believe that.
Yeah, I dont get it either. Over the past couple months, everyone seems to have gotten their doctorates in virology and no longer need expert advice and opinions from others.

I get that people are feeling oppressed/suppressed too. I just wish everyone could be unified in doing what they can to keep everyone safe. Luckily, I live in Knoxville, and I'm an essential, so I haven't been affected adversely. As a matter of fact, both my fiance and I are doing less work than we usually do and are getting paid more. We are very fortunate.

Statistically speaking per the CDC's report from a couple weeks ago, the flu is more deadly if you are under 50 than Covid-19

What about hospitalizations? If at any time a college player (or even coach or administrator) gets hospitalized for covid-19, then I’m guessing we will have a problem.

I agree that covid-19 does very little to young people. However, a vast majority of pediatric flu deaths were unvaccinated kids, and I would guess that is similar to folks in early 20’s because they believe they are invincible and don’t need a vaccine. I understand a vaccine is not a cure, but it greatly mitigates it.

Just passing along info: Shelby County has an uptick in hospitalizations, and one local hospital has its most patients since this began. The uptick is among those in their 20’s and 30’s.

I personally know someone who got it. He’s a healthy 51. He said he wasn’t close to going to the hospital, but he was down for 8 days with no strength. His law partner also got it at the same time, and he was still out when we spoke.

Last edited:
I can understand that you have an especially hard time wrapping your head around the concept that an opinion can change over time as information, data, and research become available.

Well when the WHO says one month that asymptotic carriers can spread Covid, a month later says they can’t, and a day later retracts that they can’t you aren’t going to convince me to Listen to such “data”.

the “experts” have had their ass whipped by this thing and their “data” is about as good as snow forecast in East Tennessee. Flip a coin

Being thoughtful and educated about something means that you are able to change your opinions when the evidence dictates. That is true in virtually any situation. This is a brand new diseased, and sure, even the experts are going to be wrong from time to time. But they clearly know far more than you and me.

And to correct the record:

1. COVID is far more deadly than the flu when comparing the death rate to the infected rate, even if you assume more people have been infected than reported.

2. The WHO never said asymptomatic people cannot spread the disease. Only that it is rare in truly asymptomatic cases (as opposed to presymptomatic). Maybe even that will turn out to be wrong - who knows. But ignoring the opinions of experts does not seem smart.

Still amazing how some people don't believe that.
That's been scientifically proven. What can't be proven is predicting how many deaths will ultimately happen. Of course, we know colds, other viruses, and many bacterial infections are spread more easily among those in closer contact. That is proven history.

Being thoughtful and educated about something means that you are able to change your opinions when the evidence dictates. That is true in virtually any situation. This is a brand new diseased, and sure, even the experts are going to be wrong from time to time. But they clearly know far more than you and me.

1. COVID is far more deadly than the flu when comparing the death rate to the infected rate, even if you assume more people have been infected than reported.

2. The WHO never said asymptomatic people cannot spread the disease. Only that it is rare in truly asymptomatic cases (as opposed to presymptomatic). Maybe even that will turn out to be wrong - who knows. But ignoring the opinions of experts does not seem smart.
Good post. Common sense can be our friend if we choose.

The Who and Dr. F have their bases covered. It’s like a yo yo.
From 40% of all cases were spread from asymptotic persons to 25% to very rare for asymptotic carriers to be contagious.

And keep in mind the WHO said it wasn’t even contagious from person to person at all at the start of this mess.

It’s just hard to be wrong when you make so many different statements

Last edited:
The Who and Dr. F have their bases covered. It’s like a yo yo.
From 40% of all cases were spread from asymptotic persons to 25% to very rare for asymptotic carriers to be contagious.

And keep in mind the WHO said it wasn’t even contagious from person to person at all at the start of this mess.

It’s just hard to be wrong when you make so many different statements
The media was confused about what asympomatic vs presymptomatic meant in the statement you complained about. They don’t have doctorates in virology either.

With science, things can change swiftly based on actual evidence, so you’re going to get a change in what is stated. Dr. Fauci and the EPA have been fairly consistent in what they recommended even if the WHO was careless early on with its recommendations that were misleading. You can take changing attitudes as a hit against science, or you can realize that at one time people thought the earth was flat, diseases were due to imbalance in the humors, etc. and that things change in the scientific community.

The media was confused about what asympomatic vs presymptomatic meant in the statement you complained about. They don’t have doctorates in virology either.

With science, things can change swiftly based on actual evidence, so you’re going to get a change in what is stated. Dr. Fauci and the EPA have been fairly consistent in what they recommended even if the WHO was careless early on with its recommendations that were misleading. You can take changing attitudes as a hit against science, or you can realize that at one time people thought the earth was flat, diseases were due to imbalance in the humors, etc. and that things change in the scientific community.

I am not taking a stance against science

I am taking a stance that the science of this thing called covid is inconclusive and has been all over the place. I won’t accept anything they say as fact for a good deal of time going forward. I Suspect we won’t know for a few years exactly what this thing does and exactly how it spreads or even the long term effects of it.
But eventually science will figure it out

Reactions: Lankykong

I am taking a stance that the science of this thing called covid is inconclusive and has been all over the place. I won’t accept anything they say as fact for a good deal of time going forward. I Suspect we won’t know for a few years exactly what this thing does and exactly how it spreads or even the long term effects of it.
I think you're right. Certainly the doomsday predictions are so far out of bounds its laughable, at least at this point. The PGA of America tested over 900 players, support personnel, etc and have had ONE test positive. ONE!!! I'm not a math guru or statistics guy but I think that means 99.9% tested negative. And the news, especially sports news, was waiting with great anticipation to declare disaster. As I've said before it all reminds me of the Mulberry bush, a weasel and monkey.

Reactions: BruinVol

Well sure, it is a new disease, and it shouldn't be a surprise that we don't know everything and that some assumptions that were made initially now appear to be incorrect. There are probably some we are making now that will ultimately prove wrong.

What we do seem to know as fact:

1. It is highly contagious
2. If you catch it and are old or have underlying health issues, it is very deadly.
3. If you are younger and do not have underlying health issues, it has not been deadly. But you can still get very sick and the long term effects of that are unknown.
4. We do not know everything about how it spreads, but social distancing and masks limit the spread.

That is enough for me to know that I don't want to get it.

IMHO, the biggest mistakes Dr. Fauci (and others) made were not understanding the severity of the virus soon enough and initially claiming that masks were not helpful. These were clear errors that have lasting effects still today.

A lot of the time these so called experts are just making GUESSES.
They're not randomly guessing. They're making projections based on limited experience in an effort to possibly limit catastrophic consequences. Yes, projections have been wrong even though actions taken have helped to limit the worst case scenarios. As the poster mentioned above, there are some absolutes that we do know as scientific fact.

Reactions: Special Ed
What about hospitalizations? If at any time a college player (or even coach or administrator) gets hospitalized for covid-19, then I’m guessing we will have a problem.

I agree that covid-19 does very little to young people. However, a vast majority of pediatric flu deaths were unvaccinated kids, and I would guess that is similar to folks in early 20’s because they believe they are invincible and don’t need a vaccine. I understand a vaccine is not a cure, but it greatly mitigates it.

Just passing along info: Shelby County has an uptick in hospitalizations, and one local hospital has its most patients since this began. The uptick is among those in their 20’s and 30’s.

I personally know someone who got it. He’s a healthy 51. He said he wasn’t close to going to the hospital, but he was down for 8 days with no strength. His law partner also got it at the same time, and he was still out when we spoke.

Not sure what unvaccinated flu deaths has anything to do with what I posted your anecdotal info is not relevant. Look at hospitalization rates across the entire country not to mention entire states like FL, GA, etc...

If this was taken more seriously in December and January, maybe we are a few months ahead of where we are now....

And in December and January the so called experts(WHO) said this wasn’t transmitted by person to person and China was lying about the number of people effected. There is your place for blame

Reactions: tennrich1
Basilio saying about the player with the C19 positive... "it's always the guy that can't play that brings the infection. And that's all I'm saying about it".

So Uros must have the Rona.

Basilio saying about the player with the C19 positive... "it's always the guy that can't play that brings the infection. And that's all I'm saying about it".

So Uros must have the Rona.

Im betting not

I know for a fact Barnes hasn’t been happy with the toughness of another player

But seems awfully petty to even connect getting covid to toughness

Last edited:

VN Store

Back