Tayven Jackson in the portal

Tayven and Nico just overlap too much in terms of developmental schedule. Then throw Milton in the mix and it’s really a situation where Tayven and Nico are going to be in direct competition throughout their time here.

I think a good coach can still get a good QB to develop 2y with the prospect of playing 2y. But, we are just out of sync with these two QBs.

Reactions: Raebo
I consulted my dog about Tayven's decision. Now, while I tend to trust the dog, I admit he's a Labrador--Rottweiller mutt. And while he does play football with me, I have no idea where he got his recruiting and portal information. Anyway, he says Tayven will look at Kentucky, as he wants to remain in the SEC. However, he will decline the Wildcats because of Stoops unimaginative pro style play calling. He likes Florida, despite the current mess down there, but will end up at either Penn. State, Purdue, or, yep get this, UCLA. Least that's what my dog said.

Yeh , I dunno man . At least one of those mixes can't tell the difference between a female dog and a man's leg wearing blue jeans.

From what I understand Nico looked really good running scout for our game. No doubt Jackson got a upfront seat. Do well young man at your next stop. In CHRIST Alone

Reactions: Coddlecreek1
I hate that he is leaving but totoally undestand and will always be a fan...Goodluck young man and know the VOL nation will be rooting for you....As long as its not against us lol

They really should do away with the use of the word "commitment". :rolleyes:

About 14 years ago or so many people thought the John Calipari model for Kentucky basketball was an awful direction for the sport, but fast forward and the transfer portal plus NIL has done it to all college sports. It's mostly groups full of mercenaries and players who want to try multiple schools. Don't get to close to your favorite players. Appreciate those who stick to it and wish the others luck.....sometimes.

Reactions: DixieVol
I guess the future of college football is you will have your returning starter (or returning 2nd string when the starter is leaving) and an incoming new hot shot HS kid (or a former hot shot HS kid who from the portal) battling it out for the starting job and they will be backed by walk ons...going to be hard to have 3 SEC caliber QBs on roster...

makes one question in this day and age whether a recruit is ever truly committed to any school
TBH, this goes both ways. How many guys have we suggested to hit the road?

Can TN limit where he can transfer to and exclude some SEC schools? I think you used to able to but that was pre-portal. Not sure what can be done now.
Not surprised. Just don't want him somewhere else in SEC and especially not with Kiffin.
Seems to me he is leaving on good terms, is it really cool to try to limit him somehow when we don't need him?
Even if we could limit his choices, I don't think we should.
He had a near zero chance of starting here. Plus if we tried to get hateful about transfers, that would be noticed by recruits wanting to have some insurance about finding a team with a starting spot to take them if option 1 doesn't work out.

Not a good look in 2023 CFB.

Wherever TJackson goes, he will not be an immediate threat to our team.
Let him go to a team either where he is the elite guy (not an elite team) or he can work his way up the roster of an elite team. Best of luck. If he wins the Heisman, that would be an inspiring story.

Far different than the guy(s) who left bitter memories behind a couple of years ago.
T0'0 T0'0 was going to start wherever he went, and he went to our most bitter rival and could hurt us immediately. That is the opposite of this situation.

Reactions: Raebo
Going back home to Indiana. Cannot blame the young man and I do wish him well. I would not want to be behind Nico either.

All that said - my guess is NIL played some role here. Maybe not top line. But he'll go home where he is from and loves to be and will get some good jingle in his pocket.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
lol, commitment is a two way street. Or at least it used to be.

Now it's a no way street. Isn't this awesome? Woo. Is this fun yet? Are we all having fun now? Is this what we wanted college football to be? Woo.
Commitment is meaningless these days. Kids are "reserving" a spot while looking at other options they find more attractive.

Unfortunate, but not surprising. We need another QB as any injury at the position becomes a big problem.

TBH, this goes both ways. How many guys have we suggested to hit the road?

Seems to me he is leaving on good terms, is it really cool to try to limit him somehow when we don't need him?
Even if we could limit his choices, I don't think we should.
He had a near zero chance of starting here. Plus if we tried to get hateful about transfers, that would be noticed by recruits wanting to have some insurance about finding a team with a starting spot to take them if option 1 doesn't work out.

Not a good look in 2023 CFB.

Wherever TJackson goes, he will not be an immediate threat to our team.
Let him go to a team either where he is the elite guy (not an elite team) or he can work his way up the roster of an elite team. Best of luck. If he wins the Heisman, that would be an inspiring story.

Far different than the guy(s) who left bitter memories behind a couple of years ago.
T0'0 T0'0 was going to start wherever he went, and he went to our most bitter rival and could hurt us immediately. That is the opposite of this situation.
It’s just business…

1673654501325.jpeg

Reactions: SpookyAction
Well that sucks. Now we go into spring with 2 scholarship QBs. Only 1 with experience. Gonna be hard to find a QB who just wants to sit the bench. Shouldn’t be surprising because quitting is becoming more and more prevalent.

VN Store

Back