Tayven Jackson in the portal

They really should do away with the use of the word "commitment". :rolleyes:

I hear you BUT commitment goes two ways. I could be committed to my wife but if she is not committed to me then there is not a mutual commitment.

If the kid felt that Nico will be the man after Milton, can you blame him? He came to UT to play football and he wants to play. If he feels Nico will be #2 over him by the beginning or even half way through season why not transfer if he has a chance to start/play somewhere else.

Truth is Nico is getting a lot of money to come to UT to play. Jackson has seen Nico in practice. He probably feels like it is Milton’s to lose and that might come around game 4 or 5 when Nico may be ready so why stay. If it was my kid and this was the situation and he had some place to go right away and play, would it be fair to tell him he had to stay? I don’t think so.

Let’s be honest the schools are not 100% committed to any kid. How many threads are there right now talking about who the staff is chasing to upgrade to and who the staff might be suggesting that they should pursue other ops in the portal. It is happening at every school and there is not 100% commitment on either side of this equation.

Bummer. He will be a great pickup for somebody though. I hope he doesn't go to Florida. We would for sure make him look like a Heisman candidate next year.

Reactions: Raebo
"Wait..what?? This is shocking and unimaginable news!!"
- Nobody

Good luck to him. I hope he finds a great fit and that his time at Tennessee was a positive experience.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
That sucks! Also bad since it only leaves us with 2 scholarship QBs on the roster.

That said, not at all unexpected. I just thought it would take at least 1 more season.

I do think he'd be better off competing right now and waiting till at least '24 or '25 to transfer. He's not going to start anywhere in '23 anyway and he's going to get better coaching here than elsewhere. Wait to transfer till he's a more finished product and can start somewhere.

Sucks really, we never got to see what he could do here. But this is modern college football, new freshman come in with high NIL deals and previous recruits/players want more playing time/less competition and possibly make some NIL money elsewhere. Good luck young man, I hope it works out for you.

Reactions: jmcarr33 and Raebo
Well looks like we're in the market for a transfer that's willing to be a backup. I don't think we can really go through all of next year with just two scholarship QBs. Unless they truly feel Gaston Moore can fill that void.
UT still has 4 QB's and I believe they will all succeed in our system, if it comes down to having to use them.

Jackson saw first hand what Nico brings to the QB room and he really didn't have any opportunity here as a starter. There are over 150 QB's in the portal so he's gonna have to deal with that too.

Bummer. He will be a great pickup for somebody though. I hope he doesn't go to Florida. We would for sure make him look like a Heisman candidate next year.
Florida already has 5 QB's on the roster, 6 I think if you count this Jaden Rashada kid who's signed a stupid lucrative NIL and is trying to get out of his LOI. So even if he went to FL, he'd still be buried ina depth chart. i expect he moves down to FBS just so he can have less competition and play sooner.

I wish the young man well. He could have bolted last year but he stayed with us and stuck with his commitment after Pruitt was fired and everyone was jumping ship. I hope he is successful (outside the SEC).
He was recruited by Heup Pruitt was recruiting Ty Simpson… I wish he woulda stayed but fully understand his decision no doubt in my mind that he will be a good college Qb…

makes one question in this day and age whether a recruit is ever truly committed to any school
QB is a different position and a revolving door of highly recruited kids. Only one gets the ball and you don't want your time to be playing backup and a snap a away as your role. They all want to be the guy.

I am not around practice but everything I saw and witnessed indicated that he was a great teammate and probably going to be a very good qb. He always seemed around and engaged with the other qbs and players, very enthusiastic and fired up on the sidelines. In the few games where he got to play he performed well and seemed to understand and run the offense. He is a talent and will definitely help somebody. Good luck to him - hopefully outside the SEC. With the new transfer rule you need to get it right when you transfer or you shoot yourself in the foot.

Can TN limit where he can transfer to and exclude some SEC schools? I think you used to able to but that was pre-portal. Not sure what can be done now.

VN Store

Back