Tayven Jackson in the portal

Why does anyone think we can find a good depth QB in the portal? Any QB there is looking for a place to play,just wants to put SEC on his job resume or is looking to get into coaching and a grad assistant position. When looking at our depth chart, no one with SEC talent will be looking to transfer in. 2-3 years ago, maybe, but not now
Thanks captain obvious but we still need a emergency QB if Milton goes down

Why does anyone think we can find a good depth QB in the portal? Any QB there is looking for a place to play,just wants to put SEC on his job resume or is looking to get into coaching and a grad assistant position. When looking at our depth chart, no one with SEC talent will be looking to transfer in. 2-3 years ago, maybe, but not now

Why not now?

But just so I am clear....you're fine if an elite player transfers to UT......do i have that right?

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

I think the new norm will be having only 2 scholarship level QBs with the portal like it is. You are going to need guys like Moore and Shuler who could come in for a series or two in emergency but understand they won’t be starting or playing except in that role.

Or schools will invest NIL $$ in back ups .. ideally experienced guys with not much NFL dreams but 1-2 years eligibility.. they can come in, make money & be insurance policy if starter gets hurt & freshman isnt ready !!! Ideally guys from smaller schools with experience

I wish the young man well. He could have bolted last year but he stayed with us and stuck with his commitment after Pruitt was fired and everyone was jumping ship. I hope he is successful (outside the SEC).
Pruitt never recruited him.

I hear you BUT commitment goes two ways. I could be committed to my wife but if she is not committed to me then there is not a mutual commitment.

If the kid felt that Nico will be the man after Milton, can you blame him? He came to UT to play football and he wants to play. If he feels Nico will be #2 over him by the beginning or even half way through season why not transfer if he has a chance to start/play somewhere else.

Truth is Nico is getting a lot of money to come to UT to play. Jackson has seen Nico in practice. He probably feels like it is Milton’s to lose and that might come around game 4 or 5 when Nico may be ready so why stay. If it was my kid and this was the situation and he had some place to go right away and play, would it be fair to tell him he had to stay? I don’t think so.

Let’s be honest the schools are not 100% committed to any kid. How many threads are there right now talking about who the staff is chasing to upgrade to and who the staff might be suggesting that they should pursue other ops in the portal. It is happening at every school and there is not 100% commitment on either side of this equation.
Bingo

It’s going to be extremely hard to stack QB depth in the era of the transfer portal. You can only play one QB and not many, whether right or wrong, want to wait their turn and compete. And I can’t blame them! You get 5 years and that’s it. It does feel like you are going to see Gaston Moore style 3rd string QBs for most teams not named Ohio State, Georgia, or Alabama.
Predicted this years ago BEFORE the current portal and NIL was a reality. Bama and tOSU have come the closest and we saw the turmoil in Tuscaloosa when Young got dinged up and missed a game. Same program that couldn’t keep Tua’s little bro and the Bear’s GRANDSON around as “depth”. Now they signed two 4 star QB’s who got bumped to 5’s after committing to follow last classes 5 star who they’re continually shopping to recruit over. 😅

They really should do away with the use of the word "commitment". :rolleyes:
He was 3rd on the depth chart this year and was gonna be 3rd next year. Depending on recruiting, he might’ve been the same the year after.

It has nothing to do with commitment. He only has 4 years and the kid wants to play football. It’s pretty reasonable that he would transfer. A lot of us saw this coming a mile away.

Had to happen if the kid wanted a legit shot to play. Milton next year and then it's Nico's team for at least the next couple after that.

For all the talk about having a decent 3rd string QB on the roster, let's be honest - if it comes down to that guy playing, the season is pretty much toast anyway with regard to winning the conference or making the playoff.

I wish him the best of luck.

Hooker's run last year and this season was the worst thing for Jackson...... Had we not had a set QB coming into this season, there was a chance he could have forced his way in the convo.

However, Hooker shined, Milton studied, Nico committed.

Not surprised. Just don't want him somewhere else in SEC and especially not with Kiffin.

VN Store

Back