Tayven Jackson in the portal

Well looks like we're in the market for a transfer that's willing to be a backup. I don't think we can really go through all of next year with just two scholarship QBs. Unless they truly feel Gaston Moore can fill that void.
Nico will be our backup to Milton. And Gaston Moore and Navy Shuler are also on the roster still.

Thanks captain obvious but we still need a emergency QB if Milton goes down
If it’s so obvious why are all these posters saying we have to get a transfer from the portal that is SEC quality? We have Shuler for emergency, unless he is also tired of carrying the tablet.

I think the new norm will be having only 2 scholarship level QBs with the portal like it is. You are going to need guys like Moore and Shuler who could come in for a series or two in emergency but understand they won’t be starting or playing except in that role.
Need 3 game ready QBs not 2. Especially with a true freshman at #2. Got to find an experienced talented backup in the portal. Can’t throw Nico to the wolves until Heup is 💯 certain he’s ready. While he could be ready from day 1 or even mid year that’s doubtful imo.

It’s Heup’s call whether he just wants an insurance policy from the portsl or a game-tested legit QB who can challenge Milton for the starting job. I’ll go with whatever coach decides on this one.

I wish him well.
Would have loved for him to stay.
I have seen 2 quarterbacks get injured and the third quarterback finish out the season.

I can think of 6 seasons in the last 28 that the 3rd string either finished the season or saw meaningful snaps at some point. Thats almost 25%. Im nervous.

Reactions: TBvol
Read first 3 pages regarding why Jackson is leaving in the first place. ……
Sorry, anyone transferring in would be behind Milton and Nico from day one.

That doesn't mean UT can't get a scholarship worthy QB better than the walk ons behind Milton and Nico.

Last edited:
Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Oh well. Guess he saw Nico in practice and knew the deal. He doesnt have a lot of film out there and coming off injury better hope he gets picked up by a good school and not Google U or a bad school. Got to remember some schools will be holding out at certain positions knowing bigger names could be entering the portal.
Also isn’t there another QB looking at TN for the 24 class?
Hopefully the new rule will make people really think before getting into the portal knowing they only got one free shot now.

Reactions: LadyVolette
With Milton looking like a starting QB and Nico coming in he knew his chances of significant playing time were slim. Can’t blame him really. Fortunately, we have two good gunslingers in the QB position.

Could it be possible it was suggested by the staff that he may can get more playing time somewhere else. Which is probably true and they needed a scholly for one of the new transfers.
I think it’s more likely that when he met with Heup and Halzle he asked them those questions, and they gave him an honest answer.

They really should do away with the use of the word "commitment". :rolleyes:

lol, commitment is a two way street. Or at least it used to be.

Now it's a no way street. Isn't this awesome? Woo. Is this fun yet? Are we all having fun now? Is this what we wanted college football to be? Woo.

Reactions: SaipanVol
I think it’s more likely that when he met with Heup and Halzle he asked them those questions, and they gave him an honest answer.
That's possible.

But it seems more likely that even with 100% frank talk, Heupel & Halzle would respond: "Every position is always open to competition, of course. But honestly, Joe Milton has a strong position to hold the starting job in 2023. We'd like you to be his backup. Then in 2024, it is anyone's position to win. You and Nico would be the two experienced scholarship options."

I can't see them saying, "son, you're going to lose out to Nico. I mean, just look at him."

That's not what coaches tend to do. Even when they're being frank. They're all about pushing competition, to make EVERYONE better.

More likely, I think, Tayven finally got a good, up close look at Nico's physique, throwing ability, and maturity (for a freshman), and realized the jig was up.

That'd be my guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raebo
They really should do away with the use of the word "commitment". :rolleyes:
What do you expect the guy to do? If his goal is to get to the NFL, he isn't going to get there sitting on the bench. With Milton the likely starter next year and the 8 million dollar QB behind him, the writing is on the wall. Hope he gets a chance to play somewhere else.

he would silly to consider the Bufs with Deons son qbing. brother star baller at Indiana

I consulted my dog about Tayven's decision. Now, while I tend to trust the dog, I admit he's a Labrador--Rottweiller mutt. And while he does play football with me, I have no idea where he got his recruiting and portal information. Anyway, he says Tayven will look at Kentucky, as he wants to remain in the SEC. However, he will decline the Wildcats because of Stoops unimaginative pro style play calling. He likes Florida, despite the current mess down there, but will end up at either Penn. State, Purdue, or, yep get this, UCLA. Least that's what my dog said.

Last edited:
I consulted my dog about Tayven's decision. Now, while I tend to trust the dog, I admit he's a Labrador--Rottweiller mutt. And while he does play football with me, I have no idea where he got his recruiting and portal information. Anyway, he Tayven will look at Kentucky, as he wants to remain in the SEC. However, he will decline the Wildcats because of Stoops unimaginative pro style play calling. He likes Florida, despite the current mess down there, but will end up at either Penn. State, Purdue, or, yep get this, UCLA. Least that's what my dog said.
Woodsman, there are times I worry about you.

But then I glance over at the bottle of Jack on the mantle, and say, "nah, he's fine. He's good. Nothing wrong with that man."

Go Vols!

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Milton is the cemented starter , just brought in the best QB prospect we have had in 20 years. U just want him to sit on the bench for the next 3 years ?? The kid wants to play.
Heath waited, Tee waited, Casey waited. What makes Tayven so special or any highly regarded freshman QB for that matter? Instant gratification, entitlement and the refusal to compete for what you want to achieve is what’s wrong now with college football. “Don’t care how, I want it now!”

Reactions: lexkyvol
Like (ideally) every student entering college, he is committed to, and investing his time and effort toward, his personal goals for the future.

As a fan, I'm concerned about what his leaving does to our depth at QB. I do not expect Nico to be ready to win top-tier SEC games in his freshman year in this offense.

But as a human being, I can only hope that he got good information from every reliable source before making this decision. I thank him for choosing Tennessee, and for everything he has contributed to the team.
Post was not to single out Tayven, just player attitudes in general. At least stay through sophomore year I say

VN Store

Back