Tayven Jackson in the portal

Joe Milton once through a bomb from Dudley Field at Vanderbilt that Squirrel White ran down in the far end zone of Nissan Stadium for a TD!

Heath waited, Tee waited, Casey waited. What makes Tayven so special or any highly regarded freshman QB for that matter? Instant gratification, entitlement and the refusal to compete for what you want to achieve is what’s wrong now with college football. “Don’t care how, I want it now!”

Players no longer have to wait, they used to or pay the year penalty on the bench.

Reactions: Wolfeman_Vol
I consulted my dog about Tayven's decision. Now, while I tend to trust the dog, I admit he's a Labrador--Rottweiller mutt. And while he does play football with me, I have no idea where he got his recruiting and portal information. Anyway, he says Tayven will look at Kentucky, as he wants to remain in the SEC. However, he will decline the Wildcats because of Stoops unimaginative pro style play calling. He likes Florida, despite the current mess down there, but will end up at either Penn. State, Purdue, or, yep get this, UCLA. Least that's what my dog said.
This is the dog talkin’ now.
“What is your, conceptual, continuity? Well, I told ‘em right then”, Fido said, “It should be easy to see. The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.”

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
We need to get a 3rd scholarship qb, but it has to be someone that is willing to probably sit the bench and then backup Nico. Mike Wright from Vandy or someone like that. Maybe a Paul Tyson type or an older qb who might want to get into coaching. Anyone who went into the portal to start won’t be an option. Maybe there’s a good FCS qb who wants to move up a level.

Reactions: SpookyAction
He saw the writing on the wall with Nico coming in and the 5 star stud QBs Tennessee is recruiting for the future. I understand he wants to play not hold a clipboard which he would be doing at UT

Yes, Nico is a guaranteed star waiting to start. Maybe we should wait till he at least plays his first spring game before anointing him as the next can’t miss QB we’ve signed. I thought we were waiting on Harrison Bailey to be that guy. Less than 2 years ago Vol fans were tickled pink Heupel had recruited this kid. Think lots were saying let him sit a year and then he’d take over. I don’t blame him but wished he would stay.

Reactions: DixieVol and Raebo
Just the way it is under the new rules. Outside of the QB and C it’s possible to have a rotation at other positions and get more guy’s experience. With the 2 that touch the ball every play that’s not going to happen.

This was likely mentioned, but it seems to me we are now possibly in a era of even the bigger programs maybe having one starter, one competent back-up (if lucky), and then a true freshman to develop (not a 5 star likely). Plus some other roster-fillers that really aren't likely to see the field. Bringing up hi-star quality depth to develop is apparently not tenable any longer. We will need to see where this first double portal plays out. If it turns out that many of top tier portal qb guys find a poor home or unhappy finish it could turn the tide toward staying, but I doubt it because the headlines always flow around success stories and not quiet failures.

Heath waited, Tee waited, Casey waited. What makes Tayven so special or any highly regarded freshman QB for that matter? Instant gratification, entitlement and the refusal to compete for what you want to achieve is what’s wrong now with college football. “Don’t care how, I want it now!”
Casey was third team Freshman All American by the Sporting News. The Iceman didn’t have to wait very long at all

They really should do away with the use of the word "commitment". :rolleyes:

He wanted to play here but he knows it’s going to be hard to beat out Nico after Milton.

Only one QB can play at a time. I totally get wanting to go somewhere with a better opportunity for that.

Dumb move Tayven, but oh well. Going into 2023 one play away from being the starter. Now leaving the door open to a former transfer Gaston Moore and/ or Nico. smh. Was set to start at least one year

I consulted my dog about Tayven's decision. Now, while I tend to trust the dog, I admit he's a Labrador--Rottweiller mutt. And while he does play football with me, I have no idea where he got his recruiting and portal information. Anyway, he says Tayven will look at Kentucky, as he wants to remain in the SEC. However, he will decline the Wildcats because of Stoops unimaginative pro style play calling. He likes Florida, despite the current mess down there, but will end up at either Penn. State, Purdue, or, yep get this, UCLA. Least that's what my dog said.
Some of that Bsghetti may stick to the wall

I’m sure you’re disappointed Kamara, Velus, Hendon. Milton, Bru, Mincey, and on and on ….right? They weren’t loyal and made knee jerk reactions didn’t they? You people are crazy.

Indiana would be a good place for him. Gets to start pretty quickly and won’t be recruited-over there. Wonder if a school like Nebraska or Colorado gives him a shot?

Colorado is out unless he wants to go there to be a backup.

Deions kid who is the QB has two seasons of eligibility left (I think?).

He could be NFL in his prime Manning level as a player and he still wouldn't start at Colorado for a few years.

Dumb move Tayven, but oh well. Going into 2023 one play away from being the starter. Now leaving the door open to a former transfer Gaston Moore and/ or Nico. smh. Was set to start at least one year

It's disappointing, but not dumb. We're pretty much loaded at QB for the time being. Now, folks will understandably disagree. We got Javelin Joe, despite the venomous dislike some VN fans have for him. We got a much hyped promising Nitroglycerin Nico (Nitro Nico) waiting in the wings. OK, laugh if you want, but we also have Gas Station Gaston Moore, who knows the Heup system from experience, and has had plenty of time, and on-going time to learn the playbook, and practice it on the UT campus. As for USN-Navy Shuler, a former Appy State QB. While his being the son of Heath Shuler doesn't guarantee anything, I refuse to believe he'd be a lost cause if we had to throw him into a game. Point? All except Nico, all of our guys have previous college game experience. While we don't really know why Tayven decided to portal, it's not dumb. By all accounts, he is a talented QB, Go where he can put that on display instead of sitting? Makes sense.

Finally, I'm going to throw in a wild card. That hit that he took and got injured. He might have decided it was a setback that could delay his being on the field again. Or, playing in a lower tier conference, he'd risk less chance of being SEC-slammed again. So maybe it was a survival decision. Naw, probably I'm off my rocker, and recliner both, as usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: perico and Raebo
Some of that Bsghetti may stick to the wall

I told the dog what you said. His reply as: Worf! I tried to ask if he barked or was reminding me he's actually a Klingon Targ. At which point I had to flee inside and lock all doors, and activate the drop-down steel bars on the windows.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coddlecreek1

VN Store

Back