Tayven Jackson in the portal

Aren’t you selling a portal QB on being the backup? What good does it do to have Nico as the backup? Surely he’d play enough garbage minutes to risk burning his potential redshirt. Wouldn’t you wanna maximize his time here and have him for 4 after Milton? Idk Nico may not be on board with that. But I was thinking ideally we get a kid who can be the cemented backup and starting in 24 we have Nico with 4 years left.

So long, goodbye
I'll see you when I see you
You can pick the street
I'll meet you on the other side
So long, goodbye

True. That would be a terrible return on investment. For somebody. Not Josh Heupel, but somebody.

The NIL money is no guarantee an athlete will play. It is only a guarantee that the folks ponying up the money believe he will.

There's a useful--if complicating--offset to NIL as it currently stands. The coach, who decides who is best fit to play, is not the fella handing out NIL contracts. And he's certainly not the guy spending the $$$ that go into those contracts.

It is not his money. It is not his financial commitment. At least not directly.

Leaving him relatively free to decide what's best for the football team, independent of the sunken and ongoing costs involved.

And that's a very good thing for a program seeking to win championships. The head coach needs that kind of freedom to pick the best players no matter what.

Go Vols!
I hear you. But somehow I just don’t believe that the schools and the coaches have no say or direction in what these groups like Spyre use to determine players they are going to offer money to. Call me cynical but I think there is at least subtle communication from the program. Otherwise how would Spyre determine who to target for UT?

I hear you. But somehow I just don’t believe that the schools and the coaches have no say or direction in what these groups like Spyre use to determine players they are going to offer money to. Call me cynical but I think there is at least subtle communication from the program. Otherwise how would Spyre determine who to target for UT?
Oh, I absolutely agree, Delmar. In fact, the state of Tennessee passed a new law less than a year ago to explicitly make it legal for the state universities' athletic coaching staffs to talk directly with NIL contract holders, like Spyre.

So it doesn't even have to be under the table. Josh Heupel and his coaching staff can have monthly strategy sessions with the Spyre leadership. Can explain clearly where their recruiting efforts are going. And between those meetings, they can hop on the phone with each other when developments occur.

But Josh Heupel is still free of that financial burden, the direct responsibility for having gathered and then devoted the $$ that goes into the NIL contracts. He still has a lot of freedom to decide, you know what, Player B is working out better than Player A, he's going to be the starter.

Even if Player A is the million dollar man. Know what I mean?

Go Vols!

Reactions: Delmar and Raebo
Best wishes and good luck. Break some IU and BG0 records. Enjoy Bloomington - my first date with my wife included a trip to Bloomington and Brown County. I have grandchildren that went to Center Grove a few years before you. My son and grandson watched you play in HS.

Aren’t you selling a portal QB on being the backup? What good does it do to have Nico as the backup? Surely he’d play enough garbage minutes to risk burning his potential redshirt. Wouldn’t you wanna maximize his time here and have him for 4 after Milton? Idk Nico may not be on board with that. But I was thinking ideally we get a kid who can be the cemented backup and starting in 24 we have Nico with 4 years left.
I'm sure the redshirt option was the preference for the coaches, but think about it. Wouldn't him getting snaps in more than four games prepare him (better) as next season's starter? And if he's anywhere close to what we're hoping, he won't be here in his fourth year much less fifth.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Near-zero chance IU smells the playoff in the next 3 years. I’d put UT at 80% in ‘24 and ‘25. So TJ went for personal potential over team potential. Can’t fault him for that. He wants to get to the next level. He can do it at IU as the starter. If he starts.

Or he could have stayed, competed, and still made the league even as #2 at a playoff program. If you have the talent, the NFL will find you.

Losing him hurts. In the end, it will hurt him more than it does UT. Good luck, young man.

Go Vols.

I'm sure the redshirt option was the preference for the coaches, but think about it. Wouldn't him getting snaps in more than four games prepare him (better) as next season's starter? And if he's anywhere close to what we're hoping, he won't be here in his fourth year much less fifth.
We don’t know what’s gonna happen. Just seems dumb to burn a year of his eligibility to throw him out there in garbage time. We may end up needing him but I hope not. It really doesn’t matter if he’s gonna leave after 3 whether he’s a Jr or RS Soph I suppose. Regardless we need to pick up another signal caller when they start the exodus post-spring practices.

We don’t know what’s gonna happen. Just seems dumb to burn a year of his eligibility to throw him out there in garbage time. We may end up needing him but I hope not. It really doesn’t matter if he’s gonna leave after 3 whether he’s a Jr or RS Soph I suppose. Regardless we need to pick up another signal caller when they start the exodus post-spring practices.
I don’t think it’s dumb at all. And it’s not set in stone that he has to participate in only garbage minutes. All is weighted on Milton’s health, of course. If Milton were to get injured, it would be preferable that Nico not be totally cold.

As far as portal options, the QB capable of starting but willing to back up others would be quite the find.

I don’t think it’s dumb at all. And it’s not set in stone that he has to participate in only garbage minutes. All is weighted on Milton’s health, of course. If Milton were to get injured, it would be preferable that Nico not be totally cold.

As far as portal options, the QB capable of starting but willing to back up others would be quite the find.
Virginia (Nashville)
Peay
UTSA
UConn
Vandy

Those are just the games off the top of my head I can see us with large 3rd quarter leads in. Hopefully there will be more, we shall see. All I’m saying is, if it comes down to playing him in a 5th game vs not, what would be the point? One more game isn’t gonna make a ton of difference vis-a-vis his preparedness to take over.

As I said and you parroted, injuries happen and we may need him. Or if he’s just that much better than JM3. Otherwise I don’t see the benefit. Better to have an extra year for him and not need it than need it and not have it.

Virginia (Nashville)
Peay
UTSA
UConn
Vandy

Those are just the games off the top of my head I can see us with large 3rd quarter leads in. Hopefully there will be more, we shall see. All I’m saying is, if it comes down to playing him in a 5th game vs not, what would be the point? One more game isn’t gonna make a ton of difference vis-a-vis his preparedness to take over.

As I said and you parroted, injuries happen and we may need him. Or if he’s just that much better than JM3. Otherwise I don’t see the benefit. Better to have an extra year for him and not need it than need it and not have it.
I found a good stopping point. No need for me to continue the circle.

Virginia (Nashville)
Peay
UTSA
UConn
Vandy

The odds of him getting redshirted are low

The odds of him being in college for 5 years is very low

He'll want to bolt for the NFL after year three or four. Nobody wants to be in college for five years if they're a serious NFL prospect. Which he is...

He'll be a STUD in 2023 and a STUD in 2025 and be off to the NFL

Reactions: butchna

He'll want to bolt for the NFL after year three or four. Nobody wants to be in college for five years if they're a serious NFL prospect. Which he is...

There’s nothing that says just because you redshirt you have to stay x number of years.

And if he’s a backup anyway, which we know JM3 is gonna get every chance to lead this team, it simply doesn’t make sense to throw him out there more than necessary. We all crowned him the second he put on an orange hat.. me included. But I don’t love the idea of throwing him out there at 190 lbs so long as Milton is healthy and playing well.

If he overtakes Milton due to sheer talent level or if he’s needed because of injury then fine, obviously this is a moot point. Many of you seem to be rooting for Nico to step in, whatever the reason, and that’s fine. I want Milton to succeed and have his year personally.

Maybe he needs development like almost every other kid. Give him some snaps in four games. More than that? So long as everything is going swimmingly and Milton is up to snuff, it makes absolutely no sense to.

"He’s too good for a redshirt" in itself is not a reason to load him up with garbage time snaps in a bunch of games. I just don’t see the staff doing it. It’s simple asset management.

I sure hope you’re right. But I’d prefer to see him play in real time at this level first. Remember a guy named Bailey that was being praised like this not to long ago?

I don't like it, but I understand. Why compete when you can pick a lesser program and likely waltz into the starting position. I think it's kind of weak to walk out before you even go heads up on the field with your competition. Right now, Nico is pure hype. How many "hype" QB's have we had in the last 20 years that were total busts on the field? Heck, even Hooker had to ride the bench behind Milton to start here.

I don't like it, but I understand. Why compete when you can pick a lesser program and likely waltz into the starting position. I think it's kind of weak to walk out before you even go heads up on the field with your competition. Right now, Nico is pure hype. How many "hype" QB's have we had in the last 20 years that were total busts on the field? Heck, even Hooker had to ride the bench behind Milton to start here.

Maybe Nico passed his eye test. Recently heard an account of back in the day UT had a bunch of new HS QBs in a class among them Tony Robinson. The teller shared that most went to staff wanting to change rooms after the first day. Portal gives another option without having to sit. I am hoping his departure is a validation of Nico’s skills.

I personally hope that we follow the Clemson model with Klubnik for Nico....

I don't think Milton is going to run as much as Hendon so I really have little fear that he's gonna get hurt... I don't really want to waste portal or scholly spot on a transfer QB.

Reactions: butchna
Read first 3 pages regarding why Jackson is leaving in the first place. ……
Sorry, anyone transferring in would be behind Milton and Nico from day one.
So Nico has already solidified the number 2 spot....sort of like Harrison Bailey?

VN Store

Back