Tayven Jackson in the portal

I don’t fault TJ but it seems like a different situation. Milton and Hooker were both a few years into their careers and had lost starting jobs. Tayven would be 2 on the depth chart going into spring. Do you really just absolutely have to be the starter your redshirt freshman season? That seems odd. So the only thing I can figure is he sees it as a foregone conclusion that Nico will beat him out, and doesn’t care to compete for the job. I would’ve expected him to see where the chips fall after spring of next year, let alone spring this year.
He would most likely be 3rd string behind a younger player. Nico is already on campus so they've competed.

I don't disagree with you about competing in spring but the fact he has had injury issues and Milton, with his Orange Bowl game, is already anointed the starting job in the fall and with Nico running the scout team for the bowl practice and getting big NIL $ he is not sitting at 3rd string. I think he knew the right answer for him. Why wait.
Wasn’t aware of the fact Nico ran scout team, thanks. That adds another element if he really showed out in bowl practice.

Maybe your perspective would be different if it was YOUR perspective as a player as opposed to the perspective of a fan? We like to float out this "afraid of competition" narrative, but recognizing the odds aren't in your favor isn't tantamount to cowardice. His time his decision. Kid worked hard and competed his whole time here. He can hold his head up high imo.
I’m not one of the people in this thread who said he was “afraid” or made other negative comments (“players aren’t committed these days” etc.) in reference to Tayven. It’s an understandable decision, and I wish him the best. The only thing I don’t fully understand is the level of urgency, as he’ll be only a redshirt freshman next year and has his entire college career ahead of him. There’s a long time between now and the start of the 2024 season and anything can happen.

My fan perspective is that if he made the calculus that he’s not beating out Nico within a matter of weeks of Nico arriving on campus, that’s probably a very good sign for us.

I’m not one of the people in this thread who said he was “afraid” or made other negative comments (“players aren’t committed these days” etc.) in reference to Tayven. It’s an understandable decision, and I wish him the best. The only thing I don’t fully understand is the level of urgency, as he’ll be only a redshirt freshman next year and has his entire college career ahead of him. There’s a long time between now and the start of the 2024 season and anything can happen.

My fan perspective is that if he made the calculus that he’s not beating out Nico within a matter of weeks of Nico arriving on campus, that’s probably a very good sign for us.
If one wants to play as soon as possible, finding that match and working out with your new teammates, learning the offense and studying the playbook BEFORE Spring practice would be of utmost urgency. The time between the present and over a calendar year would be a significant amount of time to lose your place in line. For what purpose? So fans of a team can feel better about DEPTH? Meanwhile we're recruiting 2024 and 2025 QBs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raebo
This was likely mentioned, but it seems to me we are now possibly in a era of even the bigger programs maybe having one starter, one competent back-up (if lucky), and then a true freshman to develop (not a 5 star likely). Plus some other roster-fillers that really aren't likely to see the field. Bringing up hi-star quality depth to develop is apparently not tenable any longer. We will need to see where this first double portal plays out. If it turns out that many of top tier portal qb guys find a poor home or unhappy finish it could turn the tide toward staying, but I doubt it because the headlines always flow around success stories and not quiet failures.

It is going to get where you get a great QB every other year but that is about all you have on your roster. Now that NIL is involved people aren’t going to sit the Alabama Bench waiting to make money.

If one wants to play as soon as possible, finding that match and working out with your new teammates, learning the offense and studying the playbook BEFORE Spring practice would be of utmost urgency. The time between the present and over a calendar year would be a significant amount of time to lose your place in line. For what purpose? So fans of a team can feel better about DEPTH? Meanwhile we're recruiting 2024 and 202525 QBs.
Agreed. Jackson found himself in a bad situation. Outside of a major injury to Milton he sits at least next season at UT and they have Nico sitting there.. Where he could transfer to another D1 school and at the very least compete for a starting job. He is probably easily one of the best 50-100 QB's in D1 and there are plenty of teams that would love to have him.

Reactions: butchna
If one wants to play as soon as possible, finding that match and working out with your new teammates, learning the offense and studying the playbook BEFORE Spring practice would be of utmost urgency. The time between the present and over a calendar year would be a significant amount of time to lose your place in line. For what purpose? So fans of a team can feel better about DEPTH? Meanwhile we're recruiting 2024 and 2025 QBs.
If immediate playing time is the only consideration, sure; that makes perfect sense. Still not sure why you’ve chosen me as the emblem for everyone in the thread throwing shade at TJ, though, when I literally started my first post with “I don’t fault TJ…”

If immediate playing time is the only consideration, sure; that makes perfect sense. Still not sure why you’ve chosen me as the emblem for everyone in the thread throwing shade at TJ, though, when I literally started my first post with “I don’t fault TJ…”
“Immediate” or sooner…whichever happens first. Not sure what else would be more rewarding that we could offer. Can you clue me in on when I accused you of “throwing shade”? My whole discussion with you centers on our different talking points. My interpretation of yours concerns “why is he in such a hurry?” My counter is WHAT ADVANTAGE IN WAITING and expending a year of playing eligibility?

“Immediate” or sooner…whichever happens first. Not sure what else would be more rewarding that we could offer. Can you clue me in on when I accused you of “throwing shade”? My whole discussion with you centers on our different talking points. My interpretation of yours concerns “why is he in such a hurry?” My counter is WHAT ADVANTAGE IN WAITING and expending a year of playing eligibility?
”What advantage in waiting” is only the rhetorical slam dunk you think it is if one assumes a priori that Nico will beat Tayven for the job. If Tayven is convinced that’s the case after a few weeks, then his decision, and the timing, make perfect sense.

And you made reference to “floating the ‘afraid of competition’ narrative” in your first post and yelled about fans feeling better about DEPTH in your second. Neither of which I made any mention of. You seem very emotional about this and I’m just not clear on why I of all people drew your ire.

I don’t fault TJ but it seems like a different situation. Milton and Hooker were both a few years into their careers and had lost starting jobs. Tayven would be 2 on the depth chart going into spring. Do you really just absolutely have to be the starter your redshirt freshman season? That seems odd. So the only thing I can figure is he sees it as a foregone conclusion that Nico will beat him out, and doesn’t care to compete for the job. I would’ve expected him to see where the chips fall after spring of next year, let alone spring this year.
I can think of 8 million reasons that tell him he won’t even get a fair shot at the job in 2024. You don’t pay someone money like that to ride the bench.

”What advantage in waiting” is only the rhetorical slam dunk you think it is if one assumes a priori that Nico will beat Tayven for the job. If Tayven is convinced that’s the case after a few weeks, then his decision, and the timing, make perfect sense.

And you made reference to “floating the ‘afraid of competition’ narrative” in your first post and yelled about fans feeling better about DEPTH in your second. Neither of which I made any mention of. You seem very emotional about this and I’m just not clear on why I of all people drew your ire.
I yelled? Sorry man. 😢

I can think of 8 million reasons that tell him he won’t even get a fair shot at the job in 2024. You don’t pay someone money like that to ride the bench.
Even more than that, you have current players singing Nico’s accolades as well as every recruit. I don’t know about FAIR…but there’s definitely not a REALISTIC shot.

Indiana would be a good place for him. Gets to start pretty quickly and won’t be recruited-over there. Wonder if a school like Nebraska or Colorado gives him a shot?
I'd say either Indiana because his brother is on roster there, or he follows Golesh to USF. Would be surprised if ended up at Florida or another SEC school but that's not out of the realm of possibility.

Forgive my ignorance but if a player enters the portal nowadays does that mean he’s leaving for sure? I remember there was a time when guys would enter the portal to “test the waters” and (although not too often) come back. However in the era of NIL it seems that a player entering the portal guarantees “he gone.” Does anybody know that for sure though?

Personally this seems like a big loss bc you can never have too much depth at QB in this conference. You’re only a couple of bad plays away from being “the guy.” If you don’t believe me look up the history of good ol’ #16’s career. There’s a storyline that gets you the starting job.

“But why do you care if UT loses this guy? He’s unproven.” I guess you’re right. Based on his limited career I don’t have a good reason to argue for trying to keep him. You could apply that sense to most transfers. Maybe it’s just me but there are always an unproven guy or guys that enter the portal that I’d rather stay and see if they break out or find their role. And yes a lot of times they leave and aren’t very successful elsewhere. There’s always that possibility if they had stayed things might have worked out for them. The ideal situation for Jackson at UT would involve waiting another year. The experience he would have as a backup next year behind Nico would have me feeling very confident about the QB room.

Ultimately though I wish him luck and I hope it’s best decision for both sides.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Forgive my ignorance but if a player enters the portal nowadays does that mean he’s leaving for sure? I remember there was a time when guys would enter the portal to “test the waters” and (although not too often) come back. However in the era of NIL it seems that a player entering the portal guarantees “he gone.” Does anybody know that for sure though?

Personally this seems like a big loss bc you can never have too much depth at QB in this conference. You’re only a couple of bad plays away from being “the guy.” If you don’t believe me look up the history of good ol’ #16’s career. There’s a storyline that gets you the starting job.

“But why do you care if UT loses this guy? He’s unproven.” I guess you’re right. Based on his limited career I don’t have a good reason to argue for trying to keep him. You could apply that sense to most transfers. Maybe it’s just me but there are always an unproven guy or guys that enter the portal that I’d rather stay and see if they break out or find their role. And yes a lot of times they leave and aren’t very successful elsewhere. There’s always that possibility if they had stayed things might have worked out for them. The ideal situation for Jackson at UT would involve waiting another year. The experience he would have as a backup next year behind Nico would have me feeling very confident about the QB room.

Ultimately though I wish him luck and I hope it’s best decision for both sides.
The team he's leaving can let him return or not. Once the kid enters, there's no guarantee of a return path. You better be damned good or sure about the move before you make it.

You got that right. These days NIL money talks and any other BS walks. Nico ain’t getting millions to sit the bench. After 2023, if he ends up on the bench that’s some bad ROI for somebody.

None of us know why he's transferring. Yet some presume it's OK to stomp the guy for doing so just the same.[/QUOTE. Only see a few stomping. Most realize the reality of the situation. Nico ain’t getting millions to sit the bench after 2023. If Joe doesn’t cut it, he may get his shot to develop on the job this season. Either way I’m relatively sure Tayven sees the situation and wants to play. More power to him.

You got that right. These days NIL money talks and any other BS walks. Nico ain’t getting millions to sit the bench. After 2023, if he ends up on the bench that’s some bad ROI for somebody.
True. That would be a terrible return on investment. For somebody. Not Josh Heupel, but somebody.

The NIL money is no guarantee an athlete will play. It is only a guarantee that the folks ponying up the money believe he will.

There's a useful--if complicating--offset to NIL as it currently stands. The coach, who decides who is best fit to play, is not the fella handing out NIL contracts. And he's certainly not the guy spending the $$$ that go into those contracts.

It is not his money. It is not his financial commitment. At least not directly.

Leaving him relatively free to decide what's best for the football team, independent of the sunken and ongoing costs involved.

And that's a very good thing for a program seeking to win championships. The head coach needs that kind of freedom to pick the best players no matter what.

Go Vols!

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land

VN Store

Back