Tayven Jackson in the portal

Like (ideally) every student entering college, he is committed to, and investing his time and effort toward, his personal goals for the future.

As a fan, I'm concerned about what his leaving does to our depth at QB. I do not expect Nico to be ready to win top-tier SEC games in his freshman year in this offense.

But as a human being, I can only hope that he got good information from every reliable source before making this decision. I thank him for choosing Tennessee, and for everything he has contributed to the team.

I think Nico gives us as good or better chance than Jackson to win those games

I’m sure you’re disappointed Kamara, Velus, Hendon. Milton, Bru, Mincey, and on and on ….right? They weren’t loyal and made knee jerk reactions didn’t they? You people are crazy.
I think these players should at least see it through sophomore year before evaluating other options. This isn’t just about what benefits TN. It’s about value added to college football. Just my opinion, crazy or not

He has not left ... But 'old people' are criticizing him for putting his resume out there to see what other opportunities are out there?!? (I'm 66, before your eyes glaze over in rage.)
I applaud people who for are looking for a better fit. It is better for the current employer and the potential future employer. Let's let this play out and wish him well if he finds a better fit.

Now he has a 5 star and wants nine of him
There's no shame in getting beat out. He wants to play and not sit the bench. Do you think he should just exhaust his eligibility on UTs bench instead of finding a better spot to play?

What do you say about players like Hooker or Milton who get beat out and transfer in to UT?

Well looks like we're in the market for a transfer that's willing to be a backup. I don't think we can really go through all of next year with just two scholarship QBs. Unless they truly feel Gaston Moore can fill that void.
Whether they want to or not, I'm guessing they will have to.

Just like Hooker and Milton right?
I don’t fault TJ but it seems like a different situation. Milton and Hooker were both a few years into their careers and had lost starting jobs. Tayven would be 2 on the depth chart going into spring. Do you really just absolutely have to be the starter your redshirt freshman season? That seems odd. So the only thing I can figure is he sees it as a foregone conclusion that Nico will beat him out, and doesn’t care to compete for the job. I would’ve expected him to see where the chips fall after spring of next year, let alone spring this year.

I don’t fault TJ but it seems like a different situation. Milton and Hooker were both a few years into their careers and had lost starting jobs. Tayven would be 2 on the depth chart going into spring. Do you really just absolutely have to be the starter your redshirt freshman season? That seems odd. So the only thing I can figure is he sees it as a foregone conclusion that Nico will beat him out, and doesn’t care to compete for the job. I would’ve expected him to see where the chips fall after spring of next year, let alone spring this year.
Maybe your perspective would be different if it was YOUR perspective as a player as opposed to the perspective of a fan? We like to float out this "afraid of competition" narrative, but recognizing the odds aren't in your favor isn't tantamount to cowardice. His time his decision. Kid worked hard and competed his whole time here. He can hold his head up high imo.

I don't disagree with you about competing in spring but the fact he has had injury issues and Milton, with his Orange Bowl game, is already anointed the starting job in the fall and with Nico running the scout team for the bowl practice and getting big NIL $ he is not sitting at 3rd string. I think he knew the right answer for him. Why wait.

VN Store

Back