Tayven Jackson in the portal

I'm super excited what this says about Nico.

All through this past season, Tayven was comfortable competing for the lead job after Hooker left. He looked at Joe Milton and said one of two things: "I can beat him out" ... or "I can wait one more year for Joe to have 2023, then take over."

Either way, Joe Milton was not a factor in Tayven's recent calculations.

What's new is Nico.

And since Tayven didn't jump ship the week Nico committed...didn't even jump ship when Nico arrived on campus...there's a good chance Tayven was looking forward to competing with Nico for the job. Either in 2023, or in 2024.

But now he's pulling pitch. That means he saw Nico up close and personal, and went, "whoa. I can't compete against that."

That's kinda fun to think about, neh? :)

Good luck, Tayven, wish you the best at any non-SEC destination!

Go Vols!

p.s. And yeah, we need a good backup QB who is willing to be a backup QB but still be SEC starter caliber. Tough request.

If you are hoping that Nico takes over 4 or 5 games into next season, you are gonna be greatly disappointed. Nico will see mop up duty or we will have sucked terribly to start the season.

I am not hoping that at ALL actually I hope Milton and team goes 15-0 and he is the first pick in the draft.

I was saying from Jackson standpoint he would have to figure at best if would be 4/5 game before anyone has a chance to take over.

Just trying to discuss on board not trying to get accused of being a Milton hater which I know I will because some people can't seem to have discussions on here without it getting personal.

Serious question in regards to adding another QB: why do we really need to add a random 3d QB?

We have Gaston Moore and Shuler and let’s be honest. Do you really expect to win anything of significance with a 3d string QB?

I say just roll with what we have and use the spot for another DB. Recruit 2 in 2024 or 1 in 2024 and 2 in 2025.

Who knows what would’ve happened. Stetson Bennett was a walk on who got his chance in 2021.

His name escapes me but the TCU QB was on the bench the first two or so games this past season.

I wish Jackson nothing but the best but he was one play away from being a starter.

Go Vols!

Reactions: LadyVolette
This surprises me. I would have liked him to stay and competed. We haven’t even saw Nico throw in live action with someone coming at him. Seems we are putting all our eggs in the Milton basket. I hope it works out for everyone. Nico will not be ready next year if Milton gets hurt. Hopefully he pulls his name out of the portal.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
While I was hoping hed stay for depth purposes, he was never beating out Nico. It is what it is. Now we gotta go get a depth QB from the portal in Spring probably
We need a talented guy who could start. Whatever 'depth' is is probably why he transferred.

Damn, I was hoping he would at least stick it out through spring practice.[/QUOTE
I was hoping he would stay too. I would like to see Nico throw with a 300 lb lineman trying take his head off. Hopefully Jackson will rethink his decision and stay. We need 3 serviceable quarterbacks in the SEC. Hopefully Nico is the real deal.

This is a bit different than bouncing around like J.T. Daniels every year with 5 colleges or the starting QB free agency we are experiencing now where kids who started this year just flipping for whatever reason. This is a kid who wasn't seeing a path to playing time because he's been recruited over. This case has nothing to do with the NIL hijinks or his personal commitment level. Good luck to him.

Reactions: SpookyAction
makes one question in this day and age whether a recruit is ever truly committed to any school
Kids are committed to the opportunity of success more than they are beholden to a certain school. When a school looks good they get recruits piling up until they can't play em all. Then some have to leave. Or they are forced to sit and prove their 'loyalty' for an opportunity that may never come. It's too easy to leave now so there will be some leaving going on. We've added several "leavers" ourselves. Our grass has look greener to some kids out there. And it certainly has turned out to be just that for several transfers.

We have potentially 3 of the top 10-12 RBs in the league next year and a first time playcaller. Im hoping we run it 50 times a game and judiciously use play action to set up easy throws for Milton/ and keep him healthy.

Wish he would've stayed, would've been nice to have Nico have a year to learn. Oh well!
Gbo!

Post smells like a sly JoMil slight. Semi-clever methodology. :cool:

On another topic, I volunteered to be a walkon QB for depth purposes. CJH, declined as he felt I was of more value as a fan. Drat! That was probably my only chance to be a Vols player, beech sitter or whatever.

Appears that Nico has already jumped him on the depth chart. Or the talent gap between Nico and Jackson was that obvious l, and Jackson made a business decision. Best of luck to the kid and looks like Nico may be more ready than we might had thought coming in. QB position I believe is in good hands for next 3-4 years at least with Milton and Nico leading the way.

We have potentially 3 of the top 10-12 RBs in the league next year and a first time playcaller. Im hoping we run it 50 times a game and judiciously use play action to set up easy throws for Milton/ and keep him healthy.
Why do you hope that? I hope the offense was as good or better while being balanced

Can't blame the guy at all.
Milton has shown the last couple of games he has a firm grasp on QB1.
Comes down to Jackson and Nico for competing playing time at mop-up.

Was hoping to see a 'local to me' kid do good at UT, but totally understand the landscape he's facing.
Best of luck Mr. Jackson - we'll keep tabs on you for sure.

Reactions: DixieVol

VN Store

Back