Statement from Fulmer.

Look at his record against Bruce Pearl.... that’s the one I care about.
I don't really care to look right now, but I'm pretty sure that he's the only coach that Barnes has a losing record against in the SEC. That's impressive. Also Bruce's coaching days may be numbered.

When do we get a statement from CRB ... thanking Coach Fulmer and the Admin for its continued support of Mens BB and give credit where its due !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Bret178
So really, why is everyone so happy about this?

We had a coach, he was about to leave, we had to give him more money to stay, and now we still have the same coach...I mean, if the university is going to pay that kind of coin, why not just hire someone else who doesn’t have a 24-24 tournament record?[/QUOTE

FYP

If true, Fulmer is the Man. We’ve seen in football that offering money doesn’t always get your guy. I’m not sure Barnes is worth that much but It seems likely that had He left Tennessee would have ended up with a lesser coach.

UCLA seemed to think he was worth it, so I agree Fulmer got it done. Thumbs up in my opinion!

Mildly overpaying for Barnes beats being in UCLA's shoes right now.

Right, UCLA right now is the equivalent of the Lady Vols. A roster full of 4 and 5 star players but play like 2 and 3 stars. And their search for a basketball head coach is starting to look similar to our search for a head football coach a few years ago.

We have a GEM here. This man brought success as a coach here, loves the University, and has done a SUPER job as AD. UT is in a much better place with CPF at the helm and he won't spare a dime to make sure our athletic department has what it needs. CPF was my first and only choice for AD and I hope he stays on and continues to get extensions because right now, UT athletics are improving under his watch.

Reactions: JCP201
CPF. has gone above and beyond. If anyone questions his love or best interest for all sports program should take a time out and stand back and look. He canned Holly and didn't look back. He saw Holly wasn't getting it done. He made the right call and I think Kelly will be a breath of fresh air. CPF saw a VFL and went after her. When players become coaches and can coach at their Alma mater, great things happen. I feel bad for Holly but this is a change that had to be made.

Don't know what happened to Holly but it seemed she lost the team and her edge. New blood and I feel CPF made a great hire and him locking down Barns was beyond incredible. Not sure how CJP will respond to the money given to Barnes but he should see success is rewarded. Things are on the raise on the hill.

Reactions: perico
In closing, the members on this board that has any beef with CPF, are the same ones screaming for his firing. One question, how did that work out after we fired him? I'm sure Mike Hamilton is on your Christmas card list.

Reactions: perico

We had a coach, he was about to leave, we had to give him more money to stay, and now we still have the same coach...I mean, if the university is going to pay that kind of coin, why not just hire someone else who doesn’t have a 24-24 tournament record?
Why don't we have a buyout for posters like you? You can't actually be serious. If any additional money is involved, don't be surprised if it is for his assistant coaches and not himself. Remember, this is a head coach that self reported a minor NCAA violation because he gave one of his assistant coaches a raise out of his own pocket.

Reactions: BisonVol
"That is much more than what Beilein, Marshall, Bennett, and Drew make. All are better coaches."

Beilein is 66 and ain't goin nowhere. Marshall is a tool--don't want him and don't think he's as good as Barnes. Drew? He makes $2.8M. Why hasn't some other big-time program been after him? Bennett is very good. Doubt he would leave UVA for UT and $5M. But, he's also extremely lucky. Should have lost to AU (double dribble) and probably TT (Guy fouled Moretti on the breakaway where officials ruled ball went out of bounds on him. 2 pts. there would have tied the game). Did not play a 1 or 2 seed in the tourney. Had Turner not fouled, the Vols could have been where UVA is. Bad luck vs. good luck at end of games is the only difference.

We had a coach, he was about to leave, we had to give him more money to stay, and now we still have the same coach...I mean, if the university is going to pay that kind of coin, why not just hire someone else who doesn’t have a 24-24 tournament record?
Should have been at least 25-23. Ball don’t lie.

I don't get the excitement for overpaying a coach (I assume). If they gave him the money in the neighborhood of UCLA's offer, we deviated from the smart move. He is not in that class.
I like coach Barnes but I totally agree he is getting paid way over market value right now. To be the third highest paid coach in the country without a national championship on his resume and without a final four at his current School it is a little much. One thing about it when you start wanting more money the expectations will go up too as they should. It's sad that we have a large percentage of the fan base that would be willing to pay the guy 10 million dollars a year just to make the tournament. It's something I've been preaching for a long time. We have a lot of fans that settle for mediocrity. And usually the least that you're happy with is the most you'll ever get. I'm pulling for Rick Barnes to get it done.

If true, Fulmer is the Man. We’ve seen in football that offering money doesn’t always get your guy. I’m not sure Barnes is worth that much but It seems likely that had He left Tennessee would have ended up with a lesser coach.

We could've avoided so much BS had Fulmer been hired after Hamilton was canned.

CPF. has gone above and beyond. If anyone questions his love or best interest for all sports program should take a time out and stand back and look. He canned Holly and didn't look back. He saw Holly wasn't getting it done. He made the right call and I think Kelly will be a breath of fresh air. CPF saw a VFL and went after her. When players become coaches and can coach at their Alma mater, great things happen. I feel bad for Holly but this is a change that had to be made.

Don't know what happened to Holly but it seemed she lost the team and her edge. New blood and I feel CPF made a great hire and him locking down Barns was beyond incredible. Not sure how CJP will respond to the money given to Barnes but he should see success is rewarded. Things are on the raise on the hill.

I like CPF as AD and hope he has a successful tenure. However, I'm not sure the narrative playing out concerning Barnes and UCLA is actually indicative that basketball at UT is now a top priority.

From what I understand, Barnes was all but gone to UCLA due to the athletic department sending one associate AD to the Naismith National COY ceremony. Apparently wasn't feeling the love from the University Athletic Department, and this bothered him.

UCLA was planning to give him $4m up front to help with his UT buyout, but he would've had to pay a hefty California tax on that money leaving him well short of paying the $5m buyout.

CPF meets with him and offers more $ to stay...or essentially more $ because the AD hasn't shown the proper respect to the job Barnes and staff have done.

Yes...Barnes is staying and all appears well....UT is suddenly committed to building a powerhouse b-ball program and Barnes has decided that UT has what it takes to become an annual national title contender...at least that's the narrative all parties involved would like for us to believe.

VN Store

Back