Statement from Fulmer.

If Barnes had left how much would we have had to pay another Coach with a similar resume? Would you rather pay less and gamble? In the scheme of things I think we got a hell of a deal!
They would have had 10 million to start the conversation.

It seems quite plausible that UCLA was never touching that buyout, so the whole thing was a ploy and tactic.
So, it's your supposition that that's probably what happened because it "seems quite plausible." Seems like you've got a solid footing for the contentious stance you've taken in this thread, broseph.

Reactions: Bret178
If Barnes had left how much would we have had to pay another Coach with a similar resume? Would you rather pay less and gamble? In the scheme of things I think we got a hell of a deal!
It is what it is... A payday for Barnes. Why are people so upset? Maybe they should learn how to get a payday for themselves with their own job. I did. Don't regret it for one minute. Not like his "win" comes out of your money.

as plausible as Izzo to UT.
Dang, you are not bright. Izzo is not leaving. His name was never in this conversation, except when interjected by you repeatedly. Repeatedly, you were reminded that it was never part of any statement I made. So, continue saying something to support an argument never presented.

It is what it is... A payday for Barnes. Why are people so upset? Maybe they should learn how to get a payday for themselves with their own job. I did. Don't regret it for one minute. Not like his "win" comes out of your money.

Guarantee that Barnes raised the annual value of the program by more than his raise. I agree with Z that the stakes (from the wooden museum?) are raised but if he doesn't deliver he gets the boot and we higher someone from a mid-major for 1.5 million and start over.

To be clear, I don't disagree. I just know there will be some who believe Fulmer caved and overpaid. I think he realized the value in maintaining the status quo in the one major sport Tennessee can currently hang its hat on. Not a good look for an inexperienced AD to have the 3 major sports programs all in a rebuild/coaching transition.
It’s an interesting study, overplaying for a proven versus overpaying for an up and comer. I’m not sure Barnes is worth his current salary but we could have overpaid for an unproven as his replacement.

Dang, you are not bright. Izzo is not leaving. His name was never in this conversation, except when interjected by you repeatedly. Repeatedly, you were reminded that it was never part of any statement I made. So, continue saying something to support an argument never presented.

Who did you say again would come here?

Reactions: VolNExile
So, it's your supposition that that's probably what happened because it "seems quite plausible." Seems like you've got a solid footing for the contentious stance you've taken in this thread, broseph.
Well, that speculation has been voiced and fits the timeline. I'm not USA Today, and this is a message board.

How dare you! When somebody says we paid too much for Barnes and could've used that money to hire someone better, it's not at all fair to ask them who that "someone better" would be.
It is as fair as saying no one will come here. It's the same speculation.

Guarantee that Barnes raised the annual value of the program by more than his raise. I agree with Z that the stakes (from the wooden museum?) are raised but if he doesn't deliver he gets the boot and we higher someone from a mid-major for 1.5 million and start over.
I really hope it doesn't play out that way. I would like to see make the S16 every year. After that is upside. I would really to break through to the FRONT with Barnes.

That’s fine but if we are gonna pay that much money then expectations should be raised. S16’s and no conference tournament titles won’t cut it anymore.

Still think Barnes being the third highest paid coach in college ball ludicrous.

It sounds simple and at some schools it is. I dont think UT fits in that group.
UT is not drawing elite level coaches and the last guy that had substantial (UT grade) success road out of here in NCAA chains.

Is Barnes overpaid (after Fulmer ponied up)? Yeah. More than likely.

Is it a guarantee that UT upgrades if Barnes walks without UT putting up a fight? Not at all.

It just is what it is really.

It’s an interesting study, overplaying for a proven versus overpaying for an up and comer. I’m not sure Barnes is worth his current salary but we could have overpaid for an unproven as his replacement.
Exactly. Barnes may not be an elite coach, but he is a proven commodity who we know does things the right way. Am I upset if we overpaid by 10-15% to ensure we weren't left to repeat the football coaching hire of a year ago? Not at all. The risk of ending up with Buzz Peterson 2.0 isn't worth losing Barnes over $500k.

I don’t know man. He’s making 500K more than Izzo. $1M more than Jay Wright. I’m all for pay raises and rewarding guys but not like Barnes is out here making Final Fours.

As you had mentioned in another thread about Barnes ceiling. I wonder if Grant and Bone leave and we don't make the tourney next year if this was a good buy or not

testy - make the case for them leaving their programs and I'll listen. If it's just "we'll pay them more" I'm going to be skeptical.
Izzo. Prove to me that he won't come here. The gymnastics scandal is possibly dragging down MSU's future with bad PR, and he has likely always wanted to end his career recruiting the South seeking a warm, low tax retirement city near a beach while he enjoyed the mountains in his later working years.

It is as fair as saying no one will come here. It's the same speculation.
Speaking of logical fallacies ...

I don't recall a single person saying "no one will come here" - of course someone would come here. You can twist words if you want, but the point is that anyone acting like someone better than or equal to Barnes would be 1) easy to find and 2) willing to come to Tennessee is not operating in reality. I think we could've hired a good coach, but a resume like Rick's isn't going to be cheap.

VN Store

Back