Statement from Fulmer.

Are we forgetting that Texas fired him? Yea, he’s been a good coach for us to get things back on track but damn...we’re paying him like he’s Tom Izzo (who, btw, only makes 4.1 mil a year and has a .723 win percentage).

Deserved or not, Phil just earned a lot of points with the Tennessee fanbase.

Very deserved. Us, as a fanbase, have been burned so many times over so many years it is difficult to give anyone in the UT AD the benefit of the doubt. Phil Fulmer yet again showed his ability to come up big when it really mattered most.

Kudos to great leadership.. Finally!

So really, why is everyone so happy about this?

We had a coach, he was about to leave, we had to give him more money to stay, and now we still have the same coach...I mean, if the university is going to pay that kind of coin, why not just hire someone else who doesn’t have a 24-24 tournament record?

Blah blah blah blah.

This just in - BBall programs are worth a ton of money if you're good.

I know it's behind a paywall but UK bball is worth 334 (Dr. Evil pinky) million. Being consistently good pays for itself.

How Much Is Your College-Basketball Team Worth?
Exactly. For that kind of coin, you can start fishing in a better pool than the one Barnes swims in. Overpaying a coach is not a noteworthy move.

We had a coach, he was about to leave, we had to give him more money to stay, and now we still have the same coach...I mean, if the university is going to pay that kind of coin, why not just hire someone else who doesn’t have a 24-24 tournament record?

Because we just saw our entire future as a basketball program flash before our eyes. Had Rick left, our program, that just spent four weeks at #1 in the nation, would have to blow the whole thing up and start from square 0. Half the roster (inc. Grant) would have certainly left too. Rick staying is amazing news.

Have you ever said anything positive on this site

He hasn’t missed a beat as AD yet. He’s shown incredible support for all of the Vols’ sports programs. He deserves credit.
To be clear, I don't disagree. I just know there will be some who believe Fulmer caved and overpaid. I think he realized the value in maintaining the status quo in the one major sport Tennessee can currently hang its hat on. Not a good look for an inexperienced AD to have the 3 major sports programs all in a rebuild/coaching transition.

It’s been awhile since someone chose Tennessee over another school (coaching-wise)- it feels really good to have enjoyed this season and know Barnes enjoyed it too. All for the right, very Tennesseee, reasons- you build a family, work hard, love each other, and stay loyal win or lose.

I love this.

Give us a name that would “definitely” come........and it has to be definitely because Barnes “did” stay.

For the record, Barnes now makes more than Tony Bennett (Virginia), Tom Izzo (Mich St), Bruce Pearl (Auburn), and Chris Beard (Tx Tech).

We sure we’re getting a good deal?

For the record, Barnes now makes more than Tony Bennett (Virginia), Tom Izzo (Mich St), Bruce Pearl (Auburn), and Chris Beard (Tx Tech).

$4.7M for one S16 this decade man.

I mean I’d rather he stay but expectations should be and will be raised. Hope he’s got it in him.

To be clear, I don't disagree. I just know there will be some who believe Fulmer caved and overpaid. I think he realized the value in maintaining the status quo in the one major sport Tennessee can currently hang its hat on. Not a good look for an inexperienced AD to have the 3 major sports programs all in a rebuild/coaching transition.

I certainly agree........and I’ll add, I would also always rather over pay for proven than over pay for unproven.

which would come and would you lose Barnes to bring back Pearl?

UCLA offered Calipari and he said no. Why on earth would Izzo, Bennett, or Beard say "yeah, Tennessee is the opportunity I've been waiting on"?

How much is UT asking you to pay again???????? Geez. You act like you gotta eat ramen noodles and peanut butter cos Fulmer done garnished your check to pay his salary.

$4.7M huh? That puts him top 5 in salaries.

Hopefully he brings top 5 results now.
If true, Fulmer is the Man. We’ve seen in football that offering money doesn’t always get your guy. I’m not sure Barnes is worth that much but It seems likely that had He left Tennessee would have ended up with a lesser coach.

VN Store

Back