(Speculation)Miles in talks of finishing a deal

Running Miles offense would be the death of Tee. He wouldn’t ever get another job. No way he’s coming for that. And don’t even think Miles would let Tee run his own offense.

Les Miles is a Toyota Corolla with 200,000 miles on it. You know it has been a great car and probably has another 25,000-50,000 miles on it but I wouldn't plan a cross country expedition in it by any means.

And no offense to Tee what so ever but he would be like buying a car from auction, great price, great brand however you couldn't test drive it.

Cbssports line is saying we are in talks with miles. They also mentioned tee martin coming on staff.

Anyone suggesting there will be a coach in waiting is flat out wrong. Will not happen and should not happen.

You dont structure the contract with coach in waiting language. You assume miles will only coach 5 years or so if he does well. Then he will retire. Then you can promte from within.

I actually prefer Mikes and Tee to the possibility and pipe dream that Gruden is and always has been!

Well, I prefer him to a Doeren, Dooley, Butch type hire...and it's not even close.

If we are not going to knock it out of the park with a Petersen or Frost, or even a Kiffin, Leach or Mullen, then I would prefer Miles to someone who hasn't been there and done that as a head coach.

He should be able to surround himself with the best that money can buy.

Miles is the football version of Rick Barnes. Not the fan favorite, maybe, but able to stabilize, and provide a foundation for the future, at worst. Who knows, he might surprise us a little, an actually field a team that can compete for titles.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
People forget that Miles was 13-0 in 2011 after the sec champ game .yes they lost to bamma in the title game but they had a great season with his players

Reactions: 2 people
People forget that Miles was 13-0 in 2011 after the sec champ game .yes they lost to bamma in the title game but they had a great season with his players

I'll tell you what I didn't forget... Miles had the same problem John Cooper had at Ohio State... he couldn't beat his rival. Miles just couldn't beat Saban like Cooper couldn't beat Michigan.Miles had more in state talent than Alabama does and is closer to Texas. Basically people that want Miles is happy to just finish second because it's better than where we are now, rather than wanting the best. Jmo, he could prove me wrong if he is hired, and would love to be wrong. Plus nobody is guaranteed to succeed no matter how confident/good the hire appears to be, just some have less chance to be the best than others.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll tell you what I didn't forget... Miles had the same problem John Cooper had at Ohio State... he couldn't beat his rival Saban. He had more in state talent than Alabama does and is closer to Texas. Basically people that want Miles is happy to just finish second because it's better than where we are now, rather than wanting the best. Jmo, he could prove me wrong if he is hired, and would love to be wrong. Plus nobody is guaranteed to succeed no matter how confident/good the hire appears to be, just some have less chance to be the best than others.

What if he brings in tee martin and kevin steele

I'll tell you what I didn't forget... Miles had the same problem John Cooper had at Ohio State... he couldn't beat his rival. Miles just couldn't beat Saban like Cooper couldn't beat Michigan.Miles had more in state talent than Alabama does and is closer to Texas. Basically people that want Miles is happy to just finish second because it's better than where we are now, rather than wanting the best. Jmo, he could prove me wrong if he is hired, and would love to be wrong. Plus nobody is guaranteed to succeed no matter how confident/good the hire appears to be, just some have less chance to be the best than others.
Miles was winless versus Saban. Heard it here first

What if he brings in tee martin and kevin steele

I have heard some say they don't even know if Tee actually calls the plays because Clay Helton is so controlling. Now he does appear to recruit well so I will give him that.

Steele has been average at best everywhere he's been. This year was his best, but of course choked in SEC championship game. Like Tee he does recruit well, but I feel it's more important to get a coach that is good at X's and O's because we always recruit pretty well, some great some just top 25 which if good X and O's guy is all you need.

Well, I prefer him to a Doeren, Dooley, Butch type hire...and it's not even close.

If we are not going to knock it out of the park with a Petersen or Frost, or even a Kiffin, Leach or Mullen, then I would prefer Miles to someone who hasn't been there and done that as a head coach.

He should be able to surround himself with the best that money can buy.

Miles is the football version of Rick Barnes. Not the fan favorite, maybe, but able to stabilize, and provide a foundation for the future, at worst. Who knows, he might surprise us a little, an actually field a team that can compete for titles.

Well he won titles at LSU. I would personally have him ahead Kiffin, Leach, or Mullen for this very reason. Frost is going to Nebraska and is going to probably be the next Saban/Myer type coach. Petersen would be an absolute home run hire, but he's not coming here. Miles is the obvious choice in my opinion. By the way, his career record against Dan Mullen is 6-1, so I like our chances against Florida.

Last edited:
I love the fact Fulmer is the AD now. But Miles is Butch Jones with a different style of offense. I do like the power football better but neither could adapt and change to fit the players. Is there a reason he never had good QB play during his time. If he couldn't run the ball then he didn't score.

Les Miles is as different from CBJ, as anyone could possibly be. Took mid-talent and made them superstars. Won a NC on the biggest stage.... throw in some SEC trophies and you get a picture of Miles. Don't know how you could say he is like Butch.

Did he like to gamble in play calling? Sometimes, but that's how he won the "Mad Hatter" moniker.

Come on up here Coach! Welcome to UTK. Tear up the East Division.

Les Miles is as different from CBJ, as anyone could possibly be. Took mid-talent and made them superstars. Won a NC on the biggest stage.... throw in some SEC trophies and you get a picture of Miles. Don't know how you could say he is like Butch.

Did he like to gamble in play calling? Sometimes, but that's how he won the "Mad Hatter" moniker.

Come on up here Coach! Welcome to UTK. Tear up the East Division.

Took mid talent?!!! Whaaat?! I don't think recruiting was a problem! He did like Butch have problems developing a QB. He did not win many SEC trophies either because Saban was too busy taking his lunch money!!! The games he did win, it was because of defense, not offense.

VN Store

Back