• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

Schwartz Becomes Head Coach at ECU

I think experience and connections will drive the hire. McDonald has those things:

“His G League (then known as the D League) coaching career began as an assistant with the league champion Austin Spurs in 2012. In 2013, he was promoted to head coach, and he led the organization in that role from 2013-17—a run that included two Western Conference Finals appearances.

Immediately prior to his time in the NBA G League, McDonald spent four years as the head coach at Western Kentucky from 2008-12. The Hilltoppers logged a pair of 20-win campaigns under his direction and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament in 2009.

McDonald also has a lengthy relationship with USA Basketball. He was an assistant coach and advance scout with the 2017 FIBA AmeriCup gold-medal-winning team, and he also did advance scouting work for the men’s senior national team during the 2019 FIBA World Championships in Shanghai, China.”
Facts! Thanks for posting this, for everyone that has no idea who this guy is and would immediately downplay him being promoted within Barnes’ staff.
GBO!!

So Frank Martin is gone from SC? I had not seen this anywhere. So 4 SEC teams jettisoned their coaches this year, Georgia hires Mike White away from Florida, what the heck is going on here?

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
So Frank Martin is gone from SC? I had not seen this anywhere. So 4 SEC teams jettisoned their coaches this year, Georgia hires Mike White away from Florida, what the heck is going on here?

SEC basketball as a whole is getting stronger, and these programs don’t want to be left behind with mediocre programs.

SEC basketball as a whole is getting stronger, and these programs don’t want to be left behind with mediocre programs.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa

Howland probably steps down after Miss State is done in the NIT for the 6th SEC opening. Kermit Davis at Mississippi doesn’t have much left in his tank either.

I'm not going to question Barnes, but this seems like a missed opportunity to upgrade his staff. I don't love the two most recent hires and Polinsky was already on staff in a role. I guess he felt like he might lose him.
Almost makes you wonder if the hire was made last year with the discussion that he would get a look, he had NBA opportunities and chose to come to Knoxville, seems plausible that more was in play.

Aren’t the last 2 SEC hires Musslman and Oats? Maybe bama and Arkansas’ recent success has these other programs thinking they can do the same with the right hire?

Reactions: bigorangepoppa
Almost makes you wonder if the hire was made last year with the discussion that he would get a look, he had NBA opportunities and chose to come to Knoxville, seems plausible that more was in play.
Yeah, kind of what I figured. It just means that Gainey and Clark are going to have to pull their weight in recruiting.

Yeah, kind of what I figured. It just means that Gainey and Clark are going to have to pull their weight in recruiting.
Early signs on ‘23 are good, we will see how they close. I’ll add to that the continued success of the program makes recruiting easier and easier, obviously can’t ignore it but kids are going to WANT to come/be recruited to Tennessee way more than probably every before…add in the portal when guys are looking for successful programs and that helps too.

If there isn't one appealing to him this year maybe he'd consider a 1 year gig as an assistant and wait for one he wants to open up. Right now I don't really see one that makes much sense.
He could also work as a bouncer at Uptown on his off-nights to make up for any lost income. He would scare the sh!t out of any underage kid trying to buy a beer.

Reactions: golfballs
If you want to become a head coach, come be an assistant at UT. It’s unreal how many head coaches have come out of this staff the last 3 years alone.

While I hate to lose Schwartz, ultimately, Barnes has been GREAT at hiring assistants and putting so many assistants in HC jobs will help attract the best talent and candidates to replace Schwartz

Congratulations to CMS and good luck at East Carolina.

Maybe he replaces Barnes at Tennessee when Barnes retires.

Man I was really hoping he was going to be groomed to take over after Barnes leaves. I know it was a long shot…but that’s what I had hoped for.

Best of luck and thank you for everything you brought to the team and the program.

Ehhhh, by the time he gets ECU to a couple FFs and Barnes wins 2-3 nattys, then he should have the resume ready to return to take over for Rick. Piece a cake.

VN Store

Back