Schwartz Becomes Head Coach at ECU

I'm late, but it's silly people were concerned about this. No coach for a Final 4 contender is going to bail on March Madness to get a leg up at ECU 🤣

I'm relieved to know it was a silly concern, but many of us (for better or for worse) have football as our frame of reference and remember Coach Cut leaving before the BCS championship game.

Per the article linked in the OP: "Schwartz is expected to remain with Tennessee through the postseason." Very good news, if true.

Had to scroll a bit to find this.

With this tidbit, I say good luck coach. Let's go win 6 more, and send you out in style!
A bit of rough luck, and on the eve of what might be the best shot UT's ever had at reaching a Final Four. Can't begrudge a guy for getting paid but this is a development that could either end very well or very poorly for the Vols. It's one thing to say "I'll coach through the tournament," but it's another thing to actually stay focused on coaching through the tournament, as opposed to thinking about the million things you have to do as a newly-minted head coach.

I guess anything is possible, but players are going to be moving on after this season, and they are already making plans. So, I don't see it any different for a coach. I'm sure they are really happy for him, and this is motivation to send him off on a high note.

A bit of rough luck, and on the eve of what might be the best shot UT's ever had at reaching a Final Four. Can't begrudge a guy for getting paid but this is a development that could either end very well or very poorly for the Vols. It's one thing to say "I'll coach through the tournament," but it's another thing to actually stay focused on coaching through the tournament, as opposed to thinking about the million things you have to do as a newly-minted head coach.
No, I think they’re too far into this winning season and Schwartz is still very much a part of it. As an OP said, ECU doesn’t require coach Schwartz’s immediate attention and he will be very much committed to this NCAA tournament.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Arguably, more so, especially if you are comparing to a team like Heupel's in which he effectively runs the offense. You have fewer assistants in basketball, so less room for error (dead weight). You need to be more well-rounded in all aspects rather specific focal points (DBs, OLBs, TEs, etc). One bad assistant on a basketball staff can stick out, easily.

Thank you

Reactions: cncchris33
VQ saying that Polinsky will very likely be promoted into that role… Gregg Polinsky hitting reset on career as Tennessee's volunteer analyst

Works for me. I was thinking somebody in their 40s to bridge the gap between young coaches/players and Barnes would be ideal, but Barnes doesn’t seem to need that. One of the amazing things is how well he relates to players less than a third his age.
I'm not going to question Barnes, but this seems like a missed opportunity to upgrade his staff. I don't love the two most recent hires and Polinsky was already on staff in a role. I guess he felt like he might lose him.

Sounds like Polanski is way overqualified for his current title/position and maybe he was hired after he left the Pistons with the expectation that Schwartz was likely moving on and Gregg was an assistant in waiting. Barnes plays 3-D chess while we’re not all that at checkers.

I'm not going to question Barnes, but this seems like a missed opportunity to upgrade his staff. I don't love the two most recent hires and Polinsky was already on staff in a role. I guess he felt like he might lose him.

I agree on Gainey and Clark. Neither of those guys exactly felt like home run hires. Polinsky, at least from the outside looking in, also feels like a downgrade from Schwartz, but I'm not sure that it's fair to say that this presented Barnes with an opportunity to upgrade his staff. Schwartz was one of the top assistants in college ball imo. Upgrading from him would have been very difficult.

For now I'm going to take a positive approach and trust Barnes with this hire. His history suggests that he knows a good coach when he sees one. I'm also going to assume that I was wrong about Gainey and Clark for the time being since their first season here ended in an SECT championship. We'll find out more about their ability as time passes, but so far so good for them.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Basilio: (check his stats)

Where Does Tennessee Go To Replace Schwartz:
spacer.gif
The name I'm hearing to watch is Frank Haith. This makes sense since Barnes has a longstanding relationship with the former Tulsa and Missouri Head Coach. In fact Schwartz came off of Haith's staff as did Kim English who was a player for Haith at Missouri as well. Haith was jettisoned from Missouri after a little NCAA mess that has since cleared, making him hirable. Haith just got fired a few days ago at Tulsa .

I agree on Gainey and Clark. Neither of those guys exactly felt like home run hires. Polinsky, at least from the outside looking in, also feels like a downgrade from Schwartz, but I'm not sure that it's fair to say that this presented Barnes with an opportunity to upgrade his staff. Schwartz was one of the top assistants in college ball imo. Upgrading from him would have been very difficult.

For now I'm going to take a positive approach and trust Barnes with this hire. His history suggests that he knows a good coach when he sees one. I'm also going to assume that I was wrong about Gainey and Clark for the time being since their first season here ended in an SECT championship. We'll find out more about their ability as time passes, but so far so good for them.
No, no, no...don't get me wrong. I didn't mean upgrade on Schwartz. I meant upgrade on the remaining staff (Gainey and Clark) because I'm not overly impressed with those two hires, thus far. Losing Schwartz and promoting Polinsky just seems like a net loss since you already had him unless he is a super recruiter, which his current role restricts. Given his NBA background, I'm not sure how much he brings in the recruiting realm.

Tough to lose outstanding assistants--but then they've heard the opportunities to become head coaches themselves and it is evidence
that we have a successful program, which in turn should attract strong candidates to fill the position. It's the circle of life...I mean, success.

Man I was really hoping he was going to be groomed to take over after Barnes leaves. I know it was a long shot…but that’s what I had hoped for.

Best of luck and thank you for everything you brought to the team and the program.

Getting some head coaching experience so he can return once Barnes retires...

Ehhh I'm glad for they guy,think its kinda sh*t to drop the news rite now.I hope theirs a reason for it,assuming their is.Does this effect us with any recruits or future prospects??

Ehhh I'm glad for they guy,think its kinda sh*t to drop the news rite now.I hope theirs a reason for it,assuming their is.Does this effect us with any recruits or future prospects??

Who dropped the news? A school has a position to fill. Neither school has released a statement yet (they might could on Tuesday as it is a travel day and the news has already leaked out). It might not be the best timing, but this is the season of coaching movements.

I doubt that recruits and prospects are making decisions based mainly on an assistant coach. Facilities, the head coach, the entire staff, the future teammates, the N-I-L benefits, the fan base, the city, the school, the academic support resources, and the history of player development likely are far bigger considerations.

Who dropped the news? A school has a position to fill. Neither school has released a statement yet (they might could on Tuesday as it is a travel day and the news has already leaked out). It might not be the best timing, but this is the season of coaching movements.

I doubt that recruits and prospects are making decisions based mainly on an assistant coach. Facilities, the head coach, the entire staff, the future teammates, the N-I-L benefits, the fan base, the city, the school, the academic support resources, and the history of player development likely are far bigger considerations.

Yea ive had a few tonight,actually just re read that and I could have presented that less assholish I guess.

VN Store

Back