Schwartz Becomes Head Coach at ECU

Man I was really hoping he was going to be groomed to take over after Barnes leaves. I know it was a long shot…but that’s what I had hoped for.

Best of luck and thank you for everything you brought to the team and the program.
You don’t think we’ll be able to hire him back from ECU when the time comes if we want to?

Assuming he's got a nice buyout, you probably can actually get him on the cheap.

I can’t see Frank Martin settling being an assistant.

He’ll get another coaching job somewhere, probably at a smaller school.

I’d welcome Frank Martin as our associate head coach. He’s one hell of a guy, he has been outspoken and effusive in his praise of Barnes and our program, and he is one hell of a defensive mind. I hope it happens.

His moment where he stayed after our game this year in TBA and talked to the crowd about Barnes will always stick out to me as pure class.

Before everyone freaks out, please know I ask this question because I genuinely don’t know: Is an assistant b-ball coach as important as say, an OC in football?

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Before everyone freaks out, please know I ask this question because I genuinely don’t know: Is an assistant b-ball coach as important as say, an OC in football?
Arguably, more so, especially if you are comparing to a team like Heupel's in which he effectively runs the offense. You have fewer assistants in basketball, so less room for error (dead weight). You need to be more well-rounded in all aspects rather specific focal points (DBs, OLBs, TEs, etc). One bad assistant on a basketball staff can stick out, easily.

Gainey and Clark haven’t been having nearly the impact or high profile that Lanier, Oliver, English, and Schwartz have had. Unless McDonald is promoted as an equal I’d guess another young up and comer is added. “Associate” head coach will be vacant unless one of the fired head coach retreads come in for a year or two of rehab.

One would think Barnes would hire an offensive minded guy.

Probably, but surely Schwartz will stay thru the tournament? If he's the kind that leaves a job unfinished and abandons the players, I'll be greatly disappointed....not that he'll give a chit. Still, you either have character or you don't.

That is a BS assessment. If he feels he needs to start recruiting now then he may go but that in no way is a negative on his character.

That is a BS assessment. If he feels he needs to start recruiting now then he may go but that in no way is a negative on his character.

There’s not a better way to recruit than to be all over CBS making an NCAA tournament run. Especially if he takes some time away from preparing for the next opponent to touch base with his targets with a phone call. Also, is there a coaches convention at the Final Four site? That might be where he’d go to build a staff.

I’m sure that Barnes has a lot to do with the ECU hire. Schwartz isn’t going to bail out.

Happy for him! He did a great job. I was thinking that he might hang around to be Barnes replacement in a few years. That usually does not work out well but sometimes it does.

When you are a successful school, expect to lose assistant coaches.

We are the Alabama of basketball. If Barnes wasn't our coach, I would he concerned trying to find a replacement, but Barnes is luckily our coach, and time and time again, he has repeatedly shown he is more than capable of finding great assistant coaches.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
My guess is either McDonald gets promoted or Barnes hires Frank Haith.
I don't think Barnes would hire Haith with a history of two sets of NCAA infractions at two different schools, do you? Do the two have a worthwhile history? I know Haith was at Texas in early 2000's

Terrible timing coach...geez

Pretty sure that ECU is responsible for any timing.

The official word from UT is crickets (at least an hour and a half ago). On Vol Calls, Hubbs mentioned that there are reports that Schwartz is heading to ECU. Barnes intentionally or unintentionally mentioned Schwartz along with Kim English and Lanier as great assistants he’s had, but CRB (and Kesling) really ignored it. I think they’re managing it very well by not making a big deal about it and just allowing it to slowly leak out.

I don't think Barnes would hire Haith with a history of two sets of NCAA infractions at two different schools, do you? Do the two have a worthwhile history? I know Haith was at Texas in early 2000's

My thinking is that if the NCAA history with Haith was a deal breaker for Barnes, then he probably wouldn't have felt comfortable poaching Schwartz off of Haith's coaching staff at Tulsa a few years back. Plus, having just lost his lead assistant, if would seem to me that Barnes would like an experienced replacement. Bringing in an experienced coach he's worked with before would make a lot of sense imo. Perhaps I'm wrong and Haith isn't considered.

Reactions: HiltonHeadVol

VN Store

Back