Schwartz Becomes Head Coach at ECU

Congrats Coach, good luck at ECU.

I don't see a scenario where CM is returning to TN, too much bad blood I think. Not sure about Frank Martin. He and Barnes seem to have a genuine friendship. At Barnes age I could see a former head coach coming here as an assistant in hopes of taking over when Barnes retires.

Do former head coaches typically take asst positions?

Larry Brown did at Memphis. But he’s an atypical coaching nomad.

If you want to become a head coach, come be an assistant at UT. It’s unreal how many head coaches have come out of this staff the last 3 years alone.

While I hate to lose Schwartz, ultimately, Barnes has been GREAT at hiring assistants and putting so many assistants in HC jobs will help attract the best talent and candidates to replace Schwartz

Dumb. Martin I get, but the other two? Let's see if Donnie Tyndall is available too....

Once the clock winds down to zero on that show cause, we could unleash the Tyndall Terror Defense 2.0 on the college basketball world. He could be head coach in waiting.

Reactions: vols 30
I'd take either Martin...

I wonder if Barnes leans more toward expertise and experience or relatability with players? I have no idea if Crean was beloved by his players. Frank Martin might be too similar to Barnes. As I said above, Cuonzo is too awkward.

Will Wade is available.

If you want to become a head coach, come be an assistant at UT. It’s unreal how many head coaches have come out of this staff the last 3 years alone.

While I hate to lose Schwartz, ultimately, Barnes has been GREAT at hiring assistants and putting so many assistants in HC jobs will help attract the best talent and candidates to replace Schwartz

Barnes has a Johnny Majors-esque coaching tree. Nothing like the Fulmer coaching two by four.

Great news for Coach Schwartz! Very happy for him. He is a very good recruiter and an even better X-O game planning coach.

Hard to match Barnes over the last few years in assistants getting head coaching jobs. It’s a sign other AD’s want the UT basketball culture at their schools. That speaks volumes about the type of program that Coach Barnes runs.
Yes! This is exactly what we want as a program. Talented assistants throughout the country can obviously see that being part of a Barnes’ staff is an attractive job. Clean program and high-quality kids. Barnes created that and I trust him to hire an equally talented replacement. And then repeat it in a few years …

Congrats to coach Schwartz and well done, Coach Barnes!

As a Vols fan it’s bitter sweet. Frank is a great coach, that has been with us from 2016, I believe. It’s obvious to see that the players love him. And he is going to be missed. But man I’m so happy for him. ECU is really solid first gig as a head coach. I hope he goes there and lights it up for the pirates. Thanks for all of the work you’ve done for the university of Tennessee coach Schwartz!

Very happy for him but frustrated for selfish reasons as I don’t want this to be a distraction for the players or other coaches. Bama has gone through it on numerous occasions and I’m sure it’s occurred in basketball, but this could team could achieve a once in a life time is memory.

I’m happy for Schwartz, but this is bad timing. I’d hate for there to be distractions in the middle of the tournament. I hope he stays till our run ends. Otherwise, that would feel like an insult to Barnes for all he and Schwartz have been through together.

I’m happy for Schwartz, but this is bad timing. I’d hate for there to be distractions in the middle of the tournament. I hope he stays till our run ends. Otherwise, that would feel like an insult to Barnes for all he and Schwartz have been through together.
It’s already been reported he will stay on through NCAAT

A bit of rough luck, and on the eve of what might be the best shot UT's ever had at reaching a Final Four. Can't begrudge a guy for getting paid but this is a development that could either end very well or very poorly for the Vols. It's one thing to say "I'll coach through the tournament," but it's another thing to actually stay focused on coaching through the tournament, as opposed to thinking about the million things you have to do as a newly-minted head coach.

Last edited:
Jon Gilbert worked at UT and his son Kent is a walk-on the team. Barnes was fully aware of all of this. This team just got more motivation to keep this thing going and to send Schwartz off to ECU a winner.

I don't think this team is going to be distracted. They may/may not win it all, but they are mature and ready for a tournament run.

VN Store

Back