Rick Barnes discussion [merged]

Thats not true at all. Most fans wanted back to the Pearl days. Top of the conference, S16 and EE's and feeling like you have a chance at a FF.
Go back to Tyndall era on this board, people were begging to just get this program to the NCAAT on a consistent basis, that was by far the overwhelming consensus.

When did Pearl make multiple E8’s?

Are you saying that the university enjoys writting a check for 5 million to a coach with mediocre results? They probably didn't get a lot of joy from it when we were winning.
Well believe it or not they don’t view making the NCAAT as a mediocre result, they also enjoy the money that basketball brings in which is pretty high from a P5 standpoint...believe it or not they also realize and really appreciate the stability that the men’s basketball program has given the mess that is the football program. They can devote majority of their time and attention to football and hand the keys to Rick and he has them in the postseason and making the university money, they are pretty damn pleased...I’m sorry that doesn’t sit well with you as a fan but that’s the reality.

Reactions: JCP201
Go back to Tyndall era on this board, people were begging to just get this program to the NCAAT on a consistent basis, that was by far the overwhelming consensus.

When did Pearl make multiple E8’s?
He had not yet, but under Pearl TN was a program on the rise and it felt like it was going to continue to rise. If seen some of the Barnes lovers ask why fans think TN can get to a FF and that's why, up until the very end the belief was that Pearl would break through. Under Barnes the program is already peaked and we are supposed to sit here while the Barnes lovers tell us we are lucky to make the tournament? No give us a coach that we can believe in that he will break the ceiling, Barnes isn't it. Before you ask who are you going to get, give me someone young who has shown a lot of potential and leave them alone for a bit. I posted a small list somewhere yesterday, but I really think we need to keep Wes Miller from UNCG in our sight. Or whoever it is give them 5 years and let's see where we are.

Lord have mercy. It's really funny how you all think Barnes is clean. Nobody in television country landing 5* is clean. Ans ok keep holding onto the nuts of a failure I'm sure Barnes will get it he just needs 30 more years.

Nobody is saying Barnes is clean.

Even if he’s cheating, he’s already doing a way better job at hiding it than Pearl.

Lord have mercy. It's really funny how you all think Barnes is clean. Nobody in television country landing 5* is clean. Ans ok keep holding onto the nuts of a failure I'm sure Barnes will get it he just needs 30 more years.

You know fat boy is dirty and like a good commie you project his shortcomings on others to make you feel better about supporting a liar and cheat

He had not yet, but under Pearl TN was a program on the rise and it felt like it was going to continue to rise. If seen some of the Barnes lovers ask why fans think TN can get to a FF and that's why, up until the very end the belief was that Pearl would break through. Under Barnes the program is already peaked and we are supposed to sit here while the Barnes lovers tell us we are lucky to make the tournament? No give us a coach that we can believe in that he will break the ceiling, Barnes isn't it. Before you ask who are you going to get, give me someone young who has shown a lot of potential and leave them alone for a bit. I posted a small list somewhere yesterday, but I really think we need to keep Wes Miller from UNCG in our sight. Or whoever it is give them 5 years and let's see where we are.

I think declaring that Barnes has peaked/hit his ceiling is quite premature at this point...we appear poised to be dancing again next year and as always you never know with the NCAAT.

What happens if he make a S16 or E8 next season, what will your stance be then?

On the flip side I’m sure you’re gonna ask what my stance will be if he loses R1 again next year, so I’ll answer...it would be disappointing and evidence that maybe he has indeed hit his ceiling here at Tennessee.

I think declaring that Barnes has peaked/hit his ceiling is quite premature at this point...we appear poised to be dancing again next year and as always you never know with the NCAAT.

What happens if he make a S16 or E8 next season, what will your stance be then?

On the flip side I’m sure you’re gonna ask what my stance will be if he loses R1 again next year, so I’ll answer...it would be disappointing and evidence that maybe he has indeed hit his ceiling here at Tennessee.
S16, same ole same ole. If he makes an EE or better, I will admit I was wrong about him. But I give that less than a 2% chance of happening.

Or whoever it is give them 5 years and let's see where we are.
5 years...you’ve done lost your mind about how long it takes to build a basketball program....and the impatience of this University

Rick Barnes was national coach of the year 2 years ago.

He recruits really solid kids, but they didn’t gel as a team this year or last.

Vescovi/ James/Pons/Fulkerson aren’t comfortable playing fast

Springer/Keon/Bailey all wanted to run.

Our best ball handlers were also our best shooters.

Our best drivers got stripped and struggled in decision making.

Quit star gazing and watch the team and their fundamentals. The long and the short is that the team never had a rhythm due to different philosophies.

The only killer on the team was Keon, and he is in his 5th season of organized basketball

Reactions: Lurker
5 years...you’ve done lost your mind about how long it takes to build a basketball program....and the impatience of this University

Quit star gazing and watch the team and their fundamentals. The long and the short is that the team never had a rhythm due to different philosophies.

The only killer on the team was Keon, and he is in his 5th season of organized basketball
? Fulkerson is at his best running the floor.

And those differences didn't get resolved properly for the very same reasons Duke and Kentucky's 5 star shows never came together like they usually do. The biggest problem was there was no semblance of a productive preseason and there was far less opportunity for coaches to coach and develop their teams during this weird year, Barnes included. Under the best of circumstances, this team had weak/inexperienced leadership returning and it never matured as a unit. It moved forward through the season in fits and starts, without consistency, sometimes showing vast potential, but never consistently showing it was a real on the court team. It never had one heartbeat to use a cliché.

As someone whose UT basketball fandom began during the early Wade Houston era, I quite like regularly making the NCAAT, being ranked #1 for a good portion of a season, and fishing in the 5* prospect waters. But maybe that's just me.

Now, it's also fair to say Barnes deserves some criticism, as this season was somewhat of a disappointment, and to move forward Barnes needs to make roster/philosophy changes, but if you're complaining about the overall job Barnes has done in Knoxville (even just the past few years), you're delusional.
Ding ding ding

TN has made the NCG once in its history, but yet fans think they can get back? Why should we lower our expectations for basketball?

I totally agree that it is desirable, natural and reasonable to have the goal of a national championship every season. On the other hand, it is illogical and unreasonable to consistently blame a team's failure to achieve the desired goal of a national championship on alleged incompetency and lack of effort the way some fans do around here.

Barnes is not a perfect coach, but he's a hell of a lot better than anyone I have seen around Knoxville for the last 45 years -- including St. Bruce, the deceiver, who I thought was "the guy" until he went off the rails.

Reactions: Vol49er
S16, same ole same ole. If he makes an EE or better, I will admit I was wrong about him. But I give that less than a 2% chance of happening.
In that scenario...

Barnes last 4 season: 4 NCAAT, 2S16, 1R32, 1R64...5-4 record

Pearl’s last 4 season: 4NCAAT, 1E8, 1S16, 2R64...5-4 record

Yet Pearl deserves a statue and had fans hopeful and Barnes would be same ole same ole and time to move on?

Reactions: Lurker

VN Store

Back