Rick Barnes discussion [merged]

Nah. There are plenty of fair criticisms to levy on Barnes. But, some of the arguments here are not what I would consider fair criticisms.
Okay. I think Barnes is washed up. I think he'll be here at least until the end of his current contract because the emphasis and major money is going to be spent on getting the football program going. Barnes may even land some more top talent but that will reap more disappointed fans because the rip on him that he does less with more is legit. Those who think he's going to change anything to fix his offense are dreaming. He's had two really good seasons in 6 years and I'd sum the reason for that up in 2 words. Grant and williams.
Does this make me officially a Drive By?

Reactions: patrick
You just said it yourself tied. Now when they played who won?

Sure, Auburn beat Tennessee. But, Tennessee also beat teams that Auburn did NOT beat. It's an unbalanced schedule, which is why championships can be shared. How is it that difficult to understand? Head to head matchups only mater somewhat.

Okay. I think Barnes is washed up. I think he'll be here at least until the end of his current contract because the emphasis and major money is going to be spent on getting the football program going. Barnes may even land some more top talent but that will reap more disappointed fans because the rip on him that he does less with more is legit. Those who think he's going to change anything to fix his offense are dreaming. He's had two really good seasons in 6 years and I'd sum the reason for that up in 2 words. Grant and williams.

More like a member of the Legions of the Miserables.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster

Nope. Those are good points.

I don't want him fired. Mostly pleased with the results. My only gripe is recruiting guys like Gaines and Pember. Why waste the scholarships?

Reactions: Catbone and patrick
Nope. Those are good points.

I don't want him fired. Mostly pleased with the results. My only gripe is recruiting guys like Gaines and Pember. Why waste the scholarships?
I had high hopes for Gaines watching how scrappy and defensive-minded he was early on. Problem being, his offense never caught up, and has shown zero signs that it ever will. Great kid, great teammate, but he's out of his depth at this level.

I had high hopes for Gaines watching how scrappy and defensive-minded he was early on. Problem being, his offense never caught up, and has shown zero signs that it ever will. Great kid, great teammate, but he's out of his depth at this level.

True. It's a shame. He gives max effort when he's out there.

I don't remember him getting any offers from major schools from the NY area. Wonder what RB saw in him?

True. It's a shame. He gives max effort when he's out there.

I don't remember him getting any offers from major schools from the NY area. Wonder what RB saw in him?
He committed super early, like 2 years ahead of enrolling. Shut things down and never entertained other offers, as I remember. That may explain it, but it may be a case of the staff jumped in too quickly while others continued to evaluate, too. Kind of the same thing that happened with Pember, but much earlier commitment. Sometimes, that works out, and other times it bites you.

So he’s washed up but will continue to land top talent and make the NCAAT? That’s quite the definition of a washed up coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
So he’s washed up but will continue to land too tsiejtvwhd make the NCAAT? That’s quite the definition of a washed up coach.
Washed up coach is a guy that after every loss says "I don't Know why..." or blames his players. or blows the end of games like he did the Bama game this season. or recruits half a roster and ends up with no one to play when one guy goes down. Look at the energy of some of these teams in the dance and be honest. How many times did you see that energy this season? Barnes has shot his wad. Grant and company was his last hurrah and he knew it was time to go. I feel bad for Chandler coming here too be wasted by a guy that has lost his way. The game went thataway coach.
You see what you see and play statistics. Others face reality and it does hurt believe me.

Washed up coach is a guy that after every loss says "I don't Know why..." or blames his players. or blows the end of games like he did the Bama game this season. or recruits half a roster and ends up with no one to play when one guy goes down. Look at the energy of some of these teams in the dance and be honest. How many times did you see that energy this season? Barnes has shot his wad. Grant and company was his last hurrah and he knew it was time to go. I feel bad for Chandler coming here too be wasted by a guy that has lost his way. The game went thataway coach.
You see what you see and play statistics. Others face reality and it does hurt believe me.

You feel sorry for Chandler yet, Barnes played a huge part in his decision to come here? Wtf?

You’re not making any sense.

Pretty strange way of looking at it...washed up coach who by your description is pretty $hitty at his job yet continues to recruit well and make the NCAAT, which by definition would make him a Top 25 coach...but sure, he’s washed up and not worth a damn lol.

Pretty strange way of looking at it...washed up coach who by your description is pretty $hitty at his job yet continues to recruit well and make the NCAAT, which by definition would make him a Top 25 coach...but sure, he’s washed up and not worth a damn lol.
I'd like nothing better than to eat some crow next season. but come this time you'll be making the same old tired excuses and talking if he wins 3 in a row and all the crap we heard this year and the hordes of the Miserables will continue to grow. Just is what it is.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
I'd like nothing better than to eat some crow next season. but come this time you'll be making the same old tired excuses and talking if he wins 3 in a row and all the crap we heard this year and the hordes of the Miserables will continue to grow. Just is what it is.
So he won’t make the NCAAT next season?

As someone whose UT basketball fandom began during the early Wade Houston era, I quite like regularly making the NCAAT, being ranked #1 for a good portion of a season, and fishing in the 5* prospect waters. But maybe that's just me.

Now, it's also fair to say Barnes deserves some criticism, as this season was somewhat of a disappointment, and to move forward Barnes needs to make roster/philosophy changes, but if you're complaining about the overall job Barnes has done in Knoxville (even just the past few years), you're delusional.

As someone whose UT basketball fandom began during the early Wade Houston era, I quite like regularly making the NCAAT, being ranked #1 for a good portion of a season, and fishing in the 5* prospect waters. But maybe that's just me.

Now, it's also fair to say Barnes deserves some criticism, as this season was somewhat of a disappointment, and to move forward Barnes needs to make roster/philosophy changes, but if you're complaining about the overall job Barnes has done in Knoxville (even just the past few years), you're delusional.

Extremely well said

Listen, I’m not going to sit here and say Barnes is going to turn things around. It’s hard to say. But, as disappointed as I am in this performance this year, look at the rest of the NCAA’s top teams.

Iowa, Ohio State, Illinois, Oklahoma State, etc. All teams more favored to win the entire thing than us and all “underperformed” their seed this year. Is there really any difference in the Round of 32 or 64? Not much.

In 2019, IMO, it took an epic screw job by the officials to rip an Elite 8 from that team. And, in the first two years, Barnes took over a mess of a program thanks to Tyndall. It’s not fair to judge anything until Year 3 really.

Not trying to point you out specifically, but this has become some epic revisionist history. You can say it wasn’t a foul but every single analyst thought that was a 50/50 call. We weren’t screwed out of that that game

Not trying to point you out specifically, but this has become some epic revisionist history. You can say it wasn’t a foul but every single analyst thought that was a 50/50 call. We weren’t screwed out of that that game

It's not revisionist history for myself, because IMO it was a foul. I have not changed my mind or altered the story. Analysts aren't any more informed than the average basketball fan if we're being honest. IMO, anytime a shooter kicks their leg out as far as Edwards did, you are rewarding them for making contact with the defender. It's the same for when you see a jump-shooter on the perimeter jump forward into contact to try and get the foul, which happens all the time in the NBA now.

I also think if to your point it's a 50/50 call, then the right decision with the game on the line on something you aren't sure about is to swallow the whistle and let the players decide rather than just call a foul.

Reactions: berryvol

VN Store

Back