Recruiting Forum: Football Talk XIII

I did some research and they seem to be from the mid 90's. With as much jersey superstition as we have on here ud think everyone would be begging to bring those back lol

The pic I posted above was from the Cotton Bowl when UT played A&M 2004/2005 season.

The pic I posted above was from the Cotton Bowl when UT played A&M 2004/2005 season.

The pic i saw was of the big circle of ut jerseys from like 1904 -present and they had them as the 1995 jersey with peytons number on it so i assumed thats where they were from

Heres what i saw. they show them for 1995. I think an 1892 throwback would be absolutely sick. that or a 1903, though ironically a throwback that isnt all orange and white would piss off the "traditionalists" haha

Attachments

• Tennessee.jpg
    Tennessee.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: 2 people
Heres what i saw. they show them for 1995. I think an 1892 throwback would be absolutely sick. that or a 1903, though ironically a throwback that isnt all orange and white would piss off the "traditionalists" haha

I've always liked the 1903's. Maybe they could do that jersey style but in Orange and White. I am one who does not mind some black as I know recruits and current players like it. The Halloween jerseys that were black were fine by me. AT times shaking things up a bit is a good thing. I say let the players have a little more say in what they would like to see jersey wise.

So now we got Boulware. If we pull Tuttle and Richmond to go along with what we already have (and perhaps Settle): then I dub this class "year of the Trench"

Those are traditional. Why would it piss anyone off? I'm actually a proponent - have been for a while - of the black w/orange stripes on the sleeve oooold 1914 jersey but I do want it done right (too badazz not to take some real time with it). I would've preferred that to the grays but I do love the grays - not all the time though. I like the 1892 one as well.

Last edited:

Yeah, I really think the 1903 one looks great. I do think all the people that talked bad about the Halloween jerseys being non traditional were wrong. It seems as though black and orange were our first colors.

This is about to start if anyone's interested. Just saw it on twitter:

Watch the #Vols 2014 Preseason Special produced by @VFL_Films at 7 pm ET in E.Tenn on @wvlt

Yeah, I really think the 1903 one looks great. I do think all the people that talked bad about the Halloween jerseys being non traditional were wrong. It seems as though black and orange were our first colors.

I loved the Halloween uni due to the game. I like black but I also think a lot the criticism of those unis is because they really did look kinda bad outside of the context of that game being on Halloween. That wasn't because of the colors but because they were printed on the fly locally with no real design or time to be picky about it.

Pretty cool tidbit in this article:

Tennessee coach Butch Jones noted that Elliott recently sent a 4:30 a.m. EDT text message to linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen seeking an explanation for the linebacker’s responsibility in a particular alignment.

“To me, the Berrys are very cerebral,” Jones said. “They live football each and every day, and I think that’s a great illustration, especially Elliott.”

Vols

Halloween colors were my favorite alt uni ever. One of the few things Kiffin did that I liked.

Flame away.

I agree. I thought they were perfect. There was such a big build up to them and I really didn't think we would do it. That was such a fun game to be at.

Pretty cool tidbit in this article:

Vols

I remember reading aobut this on an earlier 247 article.

Jones said freshmen Elliott Berry and Evan Berry — the twin younger brothers of former Tennessee star safety Eric Berry — remain “a work in progress,” and the Vols have asked a lot of them during preseason camp.

“We’ve put a lot on their plate, on their shoulders, especially Elliott. We moved him to linebacker. Elliott understands leverage. He plays with a pad level,” Jones said.

“I’ll give you an example: Coach Thig’ (linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen) gets a text message at 4:30 the other morning, and it’s from Elliott Berry, and he wants to know why we’re fitting power this way and where he’s spilling the ball.

“And, to me, the Berrys are very cerebral. They live football each and every day, and I think that’s a great illustration, especially Elliott.”

It is one thing to have the physical tools, but the mental aspect is what separates kids at this level.

Reactions: 1 person
I am in the process of watching the Utah - Utah State play by play game from last year. This was the first game of the year for both teams and one of the only games where Utah State played a quality opponent before Keeton was injured (The other being USC).

Utah finished the season at 5-7 in the Pac-12, but had a big win over Stanford. Throughout the game vs. Utah State they were able to move the ball through the air, but their playcalling was very vanilla. #8 wreaked havoc in the backfield for them all game. A couple of thoughts as it relates to our game vs. Utah State:

- Chuckie Keeton has one of the quickest releases I have ever seen. He has a great completion percentage primarily because of short and intermediate routes. He has the arm strength for deep routes, but his passes hang in the air for a long time. I still think we will be lucky to just get one interception vs. him all game.

- #9 is their best wide receiver, and he lines up in the slot. I don't know his listed height, but he looks to be about as big as Devrin Young.

- Their offensive line is a liability, especially at tackle. Keeton was pressured and sacked throughout the game, and they lose most of their offensive line going into 2014. I think this is one of our biggest advantages going into the game. I look for Maggitt and Vereen to cause some damage on the ends.

- With that being said, we need to be prepared for their draw game. I am worried in third and medium our ends will be out wide and give up contain in the middle. With our lack of talent at DT this is something to look for.

- Utah State defense: The strength is in the front seven. Fackrell is good, but not as good as I thought based on the hype. I would compare him to an AJ Johnson, lots of tackles but not an enforcer.

- Their secondary was not good in this game, and they lose a lot of their production there. If we cannot move the ball in the air on this team we are looking at a 5 win season max. On one play, Utah's TE caught a pass at the 20 and outran their secondary to score. Their defense is stingy inside the 10, and i think a Marquez North/Jason Croom fade will be very beneficial here. I look for a big game from Wolf and Pearson.

- Their kicker has a good leg and he will be playing against us. He consistently kicks deep on kickoffs and is very accurate. He did shank an extra point, but I looked at his stats and this was an anomaly.

- Overall, I expect TN to win by 10-14 points. I don't think Keeton will be back to 100%, but even with that said his play alone will keep this game too close for comfort going into the 4th quarter. Bajakan needs to open up the offense in this game, and whoever is at RB needs to be ready to step up in pass protection as their defense likes to overload and blitz from the opposite side the RB lines up on. I look for them to come after our tackles early, and if Worley cannot take advantage to continue throughout the game.

Final Prediction: Vols 31 Utah State 20

Thanks for this good read

Reactions: 1 person
I agree. I thought they were perfect. There was such a big build up to them and I really didn't think we would do it. That was such a fun game to be at.

I've always thought black and orange to be an awesome combo...those weren't tho. :sleep:

Very interested to see our Defensive Tackles. They are the group that will win or lose us games. Hope we stay healthy.

VN Store

Back