Recruiting Forum: Football Talk XIII

I am in the process of watching the Utah - Utah State play by play game from last year. This was the first game of the year for both teams and one of the only games where Utah State played a quality opponent before Keeton was injured (The other being USC).

Utah finished the season at 5-7 in the Pac-12, but had a big win over Stanford. Throughout the game vs. Utah State they were able to move the ball through the air, but their playcalling was very vanilla. #8 wreaked havoc in the backfield for them all game. A couple of thoughts as it relates to our game vs. Utah State:

- Chuckie Keeton has one of the quickest releases I have ever seen. He has a great completion percentage primarily because of short and intermediate routes. He has the arm strength for deep routes, but his passes hang in the air for a long time. I still think we will be lucky to just get one interception vs. him all game.

- #9 is their best wide receiver, and he lines up in the slot. I don't know his listed height, but he looks to be about as big as Devrin Young.

- Their offensive line is a liability, especially at tackle. Keeton was pressured and sacked throughout the game, and they lose most of their offensive line going into 2014. I think this is one of our biggest advantages going into the game. I look for Maggitt and Vereen to cause some damage on the ends.

- With that being said, we need to be prepared for their draw game. I am worried in third and medium our ends will be out wide and give up contain in the middle. With our lack of talent at DT this is something to look for.

- Utah State defense: The strength is in the front seven. Fackrell is good, but not as good as I thought based on the hype. I would compare him to an AJ Johnson, lots of tackles but not an enforcer.

- Their secondary was not good in this game, and they lose a lot of their production there. If we cannot move the ball in the air on this team we are looking at a 5 win season max. On one play, Utah's TE caught a pass at the 20 and outran their secondary to score. Their defense is stingy inside the 10, and i think a Marquez North/Jason Croom fade will be very beneficial here. I look for a big game from Wolf and Pearson.

- Their kicker has a good leg and he will be playing against us. He consistently kicks deep on kickoffs and is very accurate. He did shank an extra point, but I looked at his stats and this was an anomaly.

- Overall, I expect TN to win by 10-14 points. I don't think Keeton will be back to 100%, but even with that said his play alone will keep this game too close for comfort going into the 4th quarter. Bajakan needs to open up the offense in this game, and whoever is at RB needs to be ready to step up in pass protection as their defense likes to overload and blitz from the opposite side the RB lines up on. I look for them to come after our tackles early, and if Worley cannot take advantage to continue throughout the game.

Final Prediction: Vols 31 Utah State 20

Reactions: 4 people
FWIW, I think that was a suggestion by the OP, not what's actually happening. No reason to grumble, imo.

It was a separate thread but the mergedozer brought it in here.

Yeah see that now and I should've made my half-hearted outrage more clear. I was trying to funny rant on the subject not come across as really angry. Although I do want MOAR ORANGE. :)

Apologies to the OP for misreading you and failing at funny. :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah see that now and I should've made my half-hearted outrage more clear. I was trying to funny rant on the subject not come across as really angry. Although I do want MOAR ORANGE. :)

Apologies to the OP for misreading you and failing at funny. :hi:

I still expect you to meet with CBJ about this!
:)

No joke
Serious
:salute:

Reactions: 1 person
I really like the grays personally. I see no problem with breaking out an alternate 1-2x a season. It doesn't destroy tradition.

You could look at the grays with a bad connotation that we lost both games they were used in. Or you can look at them with a positive light in that it brought an intensified and special feeling to the atmosphere for the UGA game if you were there live and in person. It was awesome.

I really like the grays personally. I see no problem with breaking out an alternate 1-2x a season. It doesn't destroy tradition.

You could look at the grays with a bad connotation that we lost both games they were used in. Or you can look at them with a positive light in that it brought an intensified and special feeling to the UGA game if you were there live and in person. It was awesome.

Halloween colors were my favorite alt uni ever. One of the few things Kiffin did that I liked.

Flame away.

Reactions: 5 people
I still expect you to meet with CBJ about this!
:)

No joke
Serious
:salute:

If I get a chance I will. :)

I'm dead serious about our color being important to us (although I wanted the delivery of that to be humorous) and I'm dead serious about not wanting it to get pushed out for other colors - I like other colors but our primary should always be our primary. It's instantly identifiable as our own and other teams hate it - that last part alone makes me want to orange-the-hell out of them every game.

Reactions: 2 people
Halloween colors were my favorite alt uni ever. One of the few things Kiffin did that I liked.

Flame away.

I understand the traditionalist's argument about not having alternate uni's, but I disagree. I loved the black jerseys and the grey ones. I was at both games with the grey last year and the black jersey game in kiffin's year. The atmosphere was electric every time. I don't think we should have a different uni every game like Oregon, but 1-2 times a year is great. I can't wait to see what Nike does for the uni's at the battle at Bristol.

Reactions: 1 person
I understand the traditionalist's argument about not having alternate uni's, but I disagree. I loved the black jerseys and the grey ones. I was at both games with the grey last year and the black jersey game in kiffin's year. The atmosphere was electric every time. I don't think we should have a different uni every game like Oregon, but 1-2 times a year is great. I can't wait to see what Nike does for the uni's at the battle at Bristol.

Agreed about the battle at Bristol!

Some tiny changes on the helmet i have thought would be sweet would be using the state on the front above the facemasks like we have above the names. And then small, small stickers on the back of the helmets on each side of the stripe to pay tribute to our former logos. A small rifleman and vols with the star on each side of the stripe would be a nice touch for traditionalists

Saw where Robinette was named starter at Vandy (that one actually surprised me). Are LSU and BAMA the only SEC teams left that haven't named one yet? At first, I thought the Coker-Sims battle had to be overblown but it's starting to look like Bama really does have a problem there and picking Coker over Sims may lead to team issues.

Agreed about the battle at Bristol!

If I had to guess, talk behind the scenes of a Bristol game is a big reason we got such a sweet contract from Nike (although things hadn't yet been formalized that game has been in the works for a while - Bristol has wanted to host it for ages). That game alone - from attendance - to eyeballs on tv sets (since it will be a spectacle) pays for much of what Nike is giving us. It's an opportunity for them to go all out in a CFB game that should draw the college equivalent of Super Bowl numbers (it will be less, of course but you get what I mean - people are going to see the largest football game even if they don't care about football), only instead of buying a commercial slot they'll have us blinged out and talked about for a good long while - that's good business for them and for us.

Didnt we have a set of white pants with no stripe and just the power t on the hip? I seem to remember those with a white jersey and really liked them alot. we should brig those back for a whiteout

Didnt we have a set of white pants with no stripe and just the power t on the hip? I seem to remember those with a white jersey and really liked them alot. we should brig those back for a whiteout

Yes we did. Loved that uni combo.

VN Store

Back