Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
CJH will have to push to have defensive staffers fired. DW met with him in the offseason before raising and extending staff, and they seemed onboard with another year of stability, unless someone wanted to make a move. It's possible CJH has a different opinion now... but it's also possible he'll try to recruit out of it and bring in support staff before wanting a coordinator fired. The Vols were in the playoff picture until 24 hrs ago.
It’s been a great season that has really taken a lot right for it to happen. It won’t happen next year and won’t happen until the defense is better

It’s been a great season that has really taken a lot right for it to happen. It won’t happen next year and won’t happen until the defense is better
Our offense has taken leaps forward while our defense has regressed. Innovation on both sides of the ball would be fantastic, but we need our defense to at least be "good" and keep us in games.

The defense could get better instantly with an elite pass rusher. We have had a really good DL but oddly we don't have an elite pass rusher on that line (usually DLs that are as good as ours have at least a very good one - a name that stands out and gets singled out by rival fans). If we did it would mask that weak secondary and we'd get better quickly while we built that D.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Most of you should probably stay off twitter for a few days. It will put hate in your heart.
Our loss kept the talking heads from speaking of Georgia barely getting by Kentucky, Ohio State barely getting by Maryland, and TCU barely getting by Illinois. Arkansas destroyed Ole Miss. It also stopped talk of Vandy taking down Florida. Their fans were thrilled to throw their snark at us to keep eyes away from them.

The defense could get better instantly with an elite pass rusher. We have had a really good DL but oddly we don't have an elite pass rusher on that line (usually DLs that are as good as ours have at least a very good one - a name that stands out and gets singled out by rival fans). If we did it would mask that weak secondary and we'd get better quickly while we built that D.
Our secondary is so bad that I don't think anything could mask it.

Our loss kept the talking heads from speaking of Georgia barely getting by Kentucky, Ohio State barely getting by Maryland, and TCU barely getting by Illinois. Arkansas destroyed Ole Miss. It also stopped talk of Vandy taking down Florida. Their fans were thrilled to throw their snark at us to keep eyes away from them.

I hate all the negative media we receive because it could potentially hurt us with recruits. All many of them know about us is what they hear from blithering idiots.

Looking ahead to next year and way too early predictions:

Virginia - W
Peay - W (sorry @peaygolf)
UF - L
UTSA - W
SC - Big MF win and blow out
A&M - W
Bama - L
KY - W
UConn - W
MZ - W
UGA - L
Vandy - W

9-3.

Could also see a win against UF and crazy loss at KY. Just never know and we have been bad on the road. That’s why I’m more disappointed at last night because it was a great chance to make the playoff. The playoff needs to expand. We could easily make the playoff with a 12 team playoff any given year even with playing Bama and UGA every year. Just get to 10-2 and you’re in the playoff with our schedule with twelve teams.

The days of losing to UK are over.

Looking ahead to next year and way too early predictions:

Virginia - W
Peay - W (sorry @peaygolf)
UF - L
UTSA - W
SC - Big MF win and blow out
A&M - W
Bama - L
KY - W
UConn - W
MZ - W
UGA - L
Vandy - W

9-3.

Could also see a win against UF and crazy loss at KY. Just never know and we have been bad on the road. That’s why I’m more disappointed at last night because it was a great chance to make the playoff. The playoff needs to expand. We could easily make the playoff with a 12 team playoff any given year even with playing Bama and UGA every year. Just get to 10-2 and you’re in the playoff with our schedule with twelve teams.

UK isn’t going to a bowl game next year unless they get crowned this years Portal King. Hopefully AR15 goes pro and they start a freshman. With the boosted ego and big head we gave Rattler he’ll go Pro thinking he’s the second coming of Mahomes. Aggie Exodus.

UGA/Bama having new QBs will be intriguing

CJH will have to push to have defensive staffers fired. DW met with him in the offseason before raising and extending staff, and they seemed onboard with another year of stability, unless someone wanted to make a move. It's possible CJH has a different opinion now... but it's also possible he'll try to recruit out of it and bring in support staff before wanting a coordinator fired. The Vols were in the playoff picture until 24 hrs ago.

I sincerely hope and believe not. Danny White strikes me as an astute AD. Heup and Danny need to put the program's needs above the coaching staff's desires. It's over as far as trust for secondary coaching and it was predicted by many of us on here. Other than UK and LSU, the secondary and at times, the entire D has stunk against the SEC as well as Pitt. They also had too many series against the light weight OOC that stunk. This is the second season, the season that reveals the strengths and weaknesses of the coaching staff as well as roster. We don't expect perfection, just keep it in the mid-20's against mediocre SEC competition.

The issues on D are multiple - player development, scheme, play calling, player rotations (who and when) and possibly recruiting. The later of which we will have no idea since the other three are so screwed up. The reason a crappy O-line like USCe's could contain our pass rush was because of player rotations and the gap techniques Banks' uses with his slants and such. You need those two NFL quality DT's (Big O/Terry) creating havoc at the mesh point and pushing the pocket to flush the QB outside for Young and crew to sack them. Instead he has them slanting most of the time. I hate it. At least half the time the slant is wrong on runs and the pocket does not get pushed on passes. Opposing OC's know what they are doing.

The other problem with this same issue is the rotations. It has felt like we are back to Georgia State and Chaney sending in every offensive player he had to play a lot of snaps at the exclusion of winning. They are not doing that on O with Heup and Golesh, it's just on Banks' side of the ball. I get wanting to keep them fresh, but you also need to stop the other team more than zero times in the first half and half the time in the second. Nine freakin' TD's. Leave your starters in for more than a few minutes at a time, for several possessions in the first quarter, to develop some consistency and cohesion playing together. But select the right starters. It is criminal that Mitchell is playing, much less starting. If Banks is out at least use Herring to gain experience since he is the future. I promise he will make more plays than Mitchell in his first two minutes on the field. It's dumb stuff like that over and over.

Turned off the game midway through the 3rd quarter and stayed away from any football for the remainder of the weekend. I had no idea until just 10 minutes ago that Hooker tore his ACL. Dang, man. Feel so bad for him. Praying for a speedy recovery for him and that his Draft stock doesn’t plummet. He deserves a shot at the NFL.

It’s funny how when we sucked I felt despair, but mostly apathy. My dad told me a lot that the 90’s sucked in some ways because that one loss every year ruined the season and you never let it go until the next season kicked off. I thought he was insane and I’d just appreciate even winning the 10+ games in the first place, but I understand it now.

You’re not going to find much encouraging stuff on social media or sporting news right now. Just ignore it for a bit.

Last week I didn’t like all the talk about blowing out USCe. My focus was strictly on that game but I don’t know that it was for our team and coaches. We choked a game away and have to live with it. First time I’ve had some doubts about this staff.

Reactions: BSOVOL1967
We're going to miss the College Football playoffs by one game, and the trolls come out in force wanting to burn everything to the ground and start over. What a bunch of drama queens!
Literally not a single person has said that. Not a single one. But I hope that felt good getting out.

It’s funny how when we sucked I felt despair, but mostly apathy. My dad told me a lot that the 90’s sucked in some ways because that one loss every year ruined the season and you never let it go until the next season kicked off. I thought he was insane and I’d just appreciate even winning the 10+ games in the first place, but I understand it now.

The way this played out (with us in playoff position with two games to go against probably two of the worst three teams in the conference) makes it hurt, but it really is still an awesome season. We have not beaten Florida and Alabama (let alone also won 10 games) many times during my lifetime, so if you can’t at least enjoy that for what it is, you will never find much joy in Tennessee sports, so might as well find something else to do on Saturdays.

63 points 600 yards. Lost by 25. Rattler doubled his TD’s on the season. Made the worst QB in the SEC look like Mahomes. Not throwing a few holds should be the least of anyone’s concerns
You guys never realize how much different just a few well placed calls make the game go.

Rattler made himself look like Mahomes. He made throws that were on wide open cushions...he also made lot of tough throws that he has been expected to make since leaving HS and hasn't. That is the reason he was a 5* and a projected 1st rounder. He has always been streaky hot...our DC let him get comfortable giving him some easy throws, and his latent talent finally took over.

He has not been that accurate all year, and he won't be again.

That's just Tennessee luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back