Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
After studying and comparing the grades from Pro Football Focus I’ve concluded that, if kept in perspective, they can be relatively informative. jmo.

I suppose if 10 different analysts graded a particular player over the course of a season we’d end up with 10 different grades but I would think that the grades should all be in the same general vicinity. jmo.

My reference was comparing Hooker’s ESPN QBR to his PFF grade on a game-by-game basis. Both are on a 0-100 scale and by and large they are close enough. There is an occasional outlier but it’s not bad. jmo.

PFF groups their grades into 5 different buckets, Elite, All-Conference, Starter, Backup, and Replaceable.

I looked at our season grades for players who played a minimum of 100 snaps and grouped the players into the buckets (grades were posted by RTI). I did round the grades but I think this is a pretty accurate reflection of what we had for a team last year. jmo.

I had heard several years ago that a team is really defined by its top 40 players. Last year on offense we had 21 guys play a minimum of 100 snaps and 22 guys on defense play a minimum of 100 snaps.

I’m not sure why Carvin’s grade was so low but I figure it mostly had to do with him playing a lot of snaps out of position. jmo.

Our worst position group last year according to PFF was the linebackers and of course, McCollough. With Mitchell back healthy and with a good attitude, with Banks maybe a little bit under more self-control, and with more depth at Safety, we should see at least some improvement with those positions. jmo.

Hyatt and Keyton, according to PFF didn’t have good seasons but both got a bit of buzz in the spring. Hyatt in particular seemed to have really stepped up this off-season. jmo.

Bru McCoy graded out as a high backup/borderline starter at USC in 2020 playing behind 3 future NFL receivers (all veterans) on 210 snaps and was designated preseason 2nd team all-conference by PFF heading into the 2021 season. I think he may be a major addition to our offense. jmo.

Here is where we ended up on the year for the 2021 season. We had a lot of "backups" playing a ton of snaps and while that was of necessity last year due to the attrition we had and a lack of numbers that may really pay off for us this year as "backups" would be generally expected to develop into starters. jmo.

ScreenHunter 919.png

Does anybody really remember when sports talk really took off. I honestly can't. I remember sports on the radio but never just all sports all the time. The newspapers used to be great if you were following local or UT here in town. TV had the games but until ESPN nothing other than telling the scores and showing a few highlights. There was that Tennessee Coach's show on Sunday morning before Church but remember the Notre Dame Show basically replayed the whole came with our own Lindsey Nelson doing the play by play. Here in Nashville we also had the TSU Big Blue Show with John Merritt that was required viewing entertainment.

Many now days would be stunned how little people really knew or cared about recruiting as a whole.( whose visiting, whose been offered etc.) I really never worried about who was getting recruited because they were JV for a year anyway. We were only on TV 2 or 3 times in a year and one of those was a Bowl game but if you couldn't be at a game or they weren't on the tube, listening to John Ward was almost as good as being there and was as close as many Vol fans ever came to seeing the VOLS live. Today is different, we have info overload and I'm not sure it adds that much enjoyment, it adds talking points but no so sure much else.
I am sure it was started on radio stations in the big super cities (New York, Chicago and LA etc..) first, but I have no idea when the full time sports talk format stations started there. I think it was in the early 90s in Atl when I first remember encountering them.

Former Florida head coach Dan Mullen lands new coaching job

Okay, I know he's a strange man, but he was also one of the top prospects in football at one point. This just seems weird.
A lot of coaches don't want to deal with recruiting and re-recruiting players these days. The transfer portal has have some guard rails. Matt Luke quit as well. In BB, it's why Roy Williams went ahead and retired than deal with it.

Not sure about the curious v, l, and s star pattern, but the moon pic was straight from my Pixel 6 Pro...color completely unretouched.
I need to upgrade from my Galaxy note 10, my daughter has the 20 and it takes great lomg exposure nighttime shots.

The new camera I bought and left sitting on the stone wall at Tunnel View in Yosemite had such a great zoom that I could see the individual craters on the moon when I set it up on a tripod...still kicking myself for that...I had around two hundred awesome shots of Calaveras Big Trees SP and Yosemite NP already when I lost it..🤬🤬🤬

A lot of coaches don't want to deal with recruiting and re-recruiting players these days. The transfer portal has have some guard rails. Matt Luke quit as well. In BB, it's why Roy Williams went ahead and retired than deal with it.
The guy is a multi millionaire..he has generational money...I don't know why any sane person would step right back into the meat grinder of major CFB.

I am sure it was started on radio stations in the big super cities (New York, Chicago and LA etc..) first, but I have no idea when the full time sports talk format stations started there. I think it was in the early 90s in Atl when I first remember encountering them.
In Nashville around 1997 I was happy when George Plaster would come on at 3:00 on 99.7 I remember him saying one day that 24/7 sports talk would not make it in nashville.

After studying and comparing the grades from Pro Football Focus I’ve concluded that, if kept in perspective, they can be relatively informative. jmo.

I suppose if 10 different analysts graded a particular player over the course of a season we’d end up with 10 different grades but I would think that the grades should all be in the same general vicinity. jmo.

My reference was comparing Hooker’s ESPN QBR to his PFF grade on a game-by-game basis. Both are on a 0-100 scale and by and large they are close enough. There is an occasional outlier but it’s not bad. jmo.

PFF groups their grades into 5 different buckets, Elite, All-Conference, Starter, Backup, and Replaceable.

I looked at our season grades for players who played a minimum of 100 snaps and grouped the players into the buckets (grades were posted by RTI). I did round the grades but I think this is a pretty accurate reflection of what we had for a team last year. jmo.

I had heard several years ago that a team is really defined by its top 40 players. Last year on offense we had 21 guys play a minimum of 100 snaps and 22 guys on defense play a minimum of 100 snaps.

I’m not sure why Carvin’s grade was so low but I figure it mostly had to do with him playing a lot of snaps out of position. jmo.

Our worst position group last year according to PFF was the linebackers and of course, McCollough. With Mitchell back healthy and with a good attitude, with Banks maybe a little bit under more self-control, and with more depth at Safety, we should see at least some improvement with those positions. jmo.

Hyatt and Keyton, according to PFF didn’t have good seasons but both got a bit of buzz in the spring. Hyatt in particular seemed to have really stepped up this off-season. jmo.

Bru McCoy graded out as a high backup/borderline starter at USC in 2020 playing behind 3 future NFL receivers (all veterans) on 210 snaps and was designated preseason 2nd team all-conference by PFF heading into the 2021 season. I think he may be a major addition to our offense. jmo.

Here is where we ended up on the year for the 2021 season. We had a lot of "backups" playing a ton of snaps and while that was of necessity last year due to the attrition we had and a lack of numbers that may really pay off for us this year as "backups" would be generally expected to develop into starters. jmo.

View attachment 455686
I have never liked PFF bc they have too many obvious ratings that I feel is nonsense…. The big one on this list is Crawford…. He was way down the list of offensive lineman… Didn’t perform well when he got his chance…. Still has not secured a job going into this season.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol

View attachment 455686

I'd argue that LB Banks is at least a Backup and that OL Carvin is as well, I'd probably personally grade both as Starters. But I can see the stronger LB on a weak LB group not being graded as favorable as others in conference likely would be on better defensive teams.

The first one that tries to take my guns is the first one in the ground.
As a vehement supporter of gun rights, rhetoric like that isn't the way. Generally, people side with stupid politicians on gun control because they are ignorant and afraid, falling for stupid stereotypes painted for them. **** like the above just feeds the fear and stupid stereotypes.

View attachment 455686

But, but Banks was like 3rd in the SEC in tackles 😂😂😂😂.

I've been watching him for a couple of years now. Posted about him here months ago. I'm the OG of the fan club.

Ok first off its not a him, its a band. I've been listening to MMJ since 2005 ( Ive seen them live at Red Rocks twice) so get to the back of the line of the fan club, sir. I'm the presidente and I will banish you to the land of top 40 country.

Ok first off its not a him, its a band. I've been listening to MMJ since 2005 ( Ive seen them live at Red Rocks twice) so get to the back of the line of the fan club, sir. I'm the presidente and I will banish you to the land of top 40 country.
That's not what I posted. I posted Davidos. He's a one man band street performer. Go back to your Greenday stuff and leave me alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back