Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s how I feel. I’m so tired of hiring “elite recruiters”. I’d rather have great coaches, and developers of talent, who are decent recruiters. Because you know what recruits love? Being developed and winning.

Look at the basketball team as an example. Barnes developed 3 stars and won. Then the 5 stars wanted in the boat.

Same with Dabo and Clemson. They didn’t start landing elite talent until they started winning a bunch of games.

If Heupel can come in here and develop the QB’s on the roster and win some games, the recruits will want to come to UT. Simple as that.
To touch on the Barnes success with 3 star guys, those guys were always hunger and worked like hell for Barnes. Now that we have 3 5 stars on the team, they don't seem to be as hungry and aren't playing very well together. It's kinda like having too many chiefs and not enough indians. 5 star guys seem to think their future in the NBA is a given where others have to work hard for their chance. That's just my opinion but it looks like it's playing out in our current games.

What should our expectations be? Who should we expect to beat, and who should we not expect to beat? Is it okay to expect to be competitive against everyone we play? I mean, we talk about reasonable expectations, so what is reasonable?

So you expect a top 5 nationally ranked offense in year one? I am not talking about wins and losses. I am just talking about offensive production.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I know he’s young but that’s actually a pretty good bio for Merritt if you read it.
I know that Jay Graham is a VFL but I thought Robert Gillespie did a much better job at RBI’s coach than Graham has done.I just don’t feel that we need to have former players to be successful.While it would be nice to have a staff made up of VFLs I would just like for our team to be competitive no matter where the coaches come from.

Let me say this...I love Eric Gray, hate to see him go. And granted I know his stats were greatly limited by our terrible offense.

Still for his 2 year career

258 attempts 1311 yds 8 tds
43 catches 369 yds 3 tds

Wasn't like he was setting the world on fire, and most those numbers were heavily improved by 2 games. He only went over 100 yards 5 times in his 22 games here.
I would not grade any player based on that offense. Except JG, he just sucked.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
What should our expectations be? Who should we expect to beat, and who should we not expect to beat? Is it okay to expect to be competitive against everyone we play? I mean, we talk about reasonable expectations, so what is reasonable?
My reasonable expectations:

1. Play with fire and don't give up - for the full 60 minutes
2. Line up properly and don't give away yards with undisciplined penalties
3. Manage the clock, manage the two minutes situations at both halftime and end of the game
4. Play the best players
5. Improve from game to game
6. Make in game adjustments - learn and make counter moves - show innovation
7. Win the turnover margin - take away more than you give away
8. Create excitement, have explosive plays

My expectations have nothing to do with wins.

Lol, how much worse could it get? Go ahead and get it all in now.

It’s simply not fair to the kid. He didn’t initially sign because of the rumors and he was sold a bill of goods that was far far from the truth by Fulmer and Pruitt.

He 100% should be free and clear

I know that Jay Graham is a VFL but I thought Robert Gillespie did a much better job at RBI’s coach than Graham has done.I just don’t feel that we need to have former players to be successful.While it would be nice to have a staff made up of VFLs I would just like for our team to be competitive no matter where the coaches come from.
And don’t come after me with any comments about the rbi.That was that damn spell correct on my phone.

I’d say it’s adequate.
Didn’t remember the exact #’s but new it was good.
So I don’t understand the ones questioning it working here, unless they are unaware

247 Missouri Recruiting rankings, I'd say more than adequate...
2013: 43
2014: 37
2015: 25
2016: 43
2017: 43

So it wasn't like he truly had "SEC Talent" to work with either... Missouri still has never joined the chat with SEC recruiting.

Start with the entire staff, and then slowly replace them as he gets his bearings in the SEC. Butch did the same thing and it honestly worked out pretty well until the wheels fell off later on.

It does make me nervous to see if these guys can recruit at an SEC level, but time will tell.
I think the system sells itself right? Not sure about line but everything else is about putting up points. Offenses dream.

Now defense like others have said will be where the rubber meets the road. I would like to see some sec experienced coaches in there.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Full ride- They are saying we would owe Steele $800k if he isn’t retained. Forget that, if he doesn’t want to be DC, you make him an analyst for 450k until he decides to find another job.
That doesn't even make sense. Steele is gonna be paid $2M from Auburn and $900K from Tennessee to coach from his couch if he wants to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back