Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy how young we look due to no one advancing a year of eligibility. (we are young in general though with a lot of talent so hopefully Heupel can have a good nucleus that fits his systems to build around).
We have the personnel to do just about anything really. Some of the OL will need to trim down but other than that our WR/TE room is built for a spread offense. We got a variety of QBs. I’d grab a smaller scat RB from the portal though now that Gray is gone.

Even on defense this is the case. We can run 3-3-5 and 3-4 both. We honestly have the personnel to go full 4-3 if needed.

I bet Jacob Warren is a monster in this offense. Go look at Jacob Harris at UCF. TE that's used more as a big receiver instead of forcing him into what he's not.
Towards the end of the season it was revealed we actually had guys at the position. Minor detail of actually throwing at them. 😏

Our “elite recruiters” lost 7 games by double digits. more than half of which were to teams with way less talent than us. so excuse us if we’d rather have a guy that knows how to develop and scheme first
That’s how I feel. I’m so tired of hiring “elite recruiters”. I’d rather have great coaches, and developers of talent, who are decent recruiters. Because you know what recruits love? Being developed and winning.

Look at the basketball team as an example. Barnes developed 3 stars and won. Then the 5 stars wanted in the boat.

Same with Dabo and Clemson. They didn’t start landing elite talent until they started winning a bunch of games.

If Heupel can come in here and develop the QB’s on the roster and win some games, the recruits will want to come to UT. Simple as that.

Does anyone else feel there are other problems at Tennessee aside from any NCAA sanctions? The reason I ask, our last four hires, Dooley, Jones, Pruitt, and now Josh have been well down the list of prime candidates. Could it be power boosters who want to guide the coach instead of letting him do his job, or ADs who meddle to much. If we are to believe, money was in place to hire a big name. Hopefully DW can fix the problem, but anyone who thinks sanctions are the only issue are fooling themselves.

While Alex Golesh, a Moscow, Russia, native and Ohio State graduate, stands with an earnest chance to emerge as Heupel’s successor at UCF, Golesh is a prime target to join the staff at Tennessee and could be arriving in Knoxville this weekend.

Ditto Joey Halzle, who like Heupel is an Oklahoma graduate with championship roots. In short order, Halzle has emerged as a keen quarterback mentor. He’s expected to make the trek north on I-75 to rejoin Heupel immediately for the Vols’ new staff.

Likewise, Glen Elarbee has been a fixture as an assistant alongside Heupel – especially the past five years. A former Broyles Award semifinalist who’s time alongside Heupel extends from Missouri in 2016 through their most recent season together at UCF. However, Elarbee’s been well-traveled and also has emerged with options at multiple programs. It’s not an automatic move that Elarbee, who played at MTSU, has cemented a spot in Knoxville.

Multiple college coaches and industry sources on Wednesday and again Thursday morning told FootballScoop to expect Brandon Lawson to be a prominent piece of Heupel’s initial Tennessee staff. A Knoxville native and former United States Marine Corps Crew Chief who served President George W. Bush on all Marine aircraft from 2007-09, Lawson previously has served as Heupel’s de facto chief lieutenant for the previous three years in Orlando, Florida, and would be a key cog in Heupel’s football cabinet – perhaps director of player personnel or director of football operations. Lawson’s been targeted in recent weeks by multiple other Southeastern Conference schools and has two of the industry’s top mentors in Scott Altizer and Bob Welton.

One early potential candidate to monitor in connection to the Tennessee defensive coordinator post is Mississippi State’s Zach Arnett. Though he signed a contract extension with State after the 2020 season, Arnett has drawn interest in this cycle from LSU, South Carolina and Texas, among others, for those programs’ defensive coordinator position.

Willie Martinez has deep SEC ties, with previous stints at both Georgia and Tennessee, and he’s been a mainstay for Heupel from Heupel’s time atop the UCF program. A Martinez return to Knoxville could make a lot of sense, but it also largely rests on which direction Heupel turns to run his defense.

Multiple sources throughout Tuesday evening and all day Wednesday told FootballScoop that a Heupel-Jeff Lebby reunion was not going to happen. “Not going to happen; he’s probably the top candidate for the UCF head job, but either way, I don’t see any scenario where he leaves being offensive coordinator at Ole Miss to be offensive coordinator at Tennessee. He’s going to be a head coach,” said a source who’s recently worked directly with Lebby. Lebby and Heupel are close friends, but Lebby’s on a definitive career track to be a head coach and likely sooner than later.

Sources: Josh Heupel's Tennessee Vols staff to feature multiple UCF coaches

I'm just saying you absolutely need both to compete in the SEC and we don't have proof Josh Heupel is a good developer of talent. We *think* he is, and it's fair to say we know he's a top-end offensive mind, but that doesn't always mean development is great.

We need to recruit well to bridge the gap if he isn't a great developmental coach - it's the same thing I said about Pruitt.
He made Drew Lock a monster, and took that Hawaiian kid and made him into a monster too. IIRC he was a big reason for Bradford's improvement at OU, but I think on the flip side that Travis Knight frustrated him there.

"Quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke also is transitioning into the next step of his career"

giphy.gif

Basilio was just saying, Heupel is a hands off guy on defense. He lets his coordinator do his thing. I love it
Hubbs and AP said this morning he doesn't like Randy Shannon, and never liked Randy Shannon.

Supposedly Randy Shannon was hired by DW, not JH.

Even if he is hands off of the defense, which I am fine with, hopefully he finds somebody good who he can see eye to eye with.

I honestly don't know. I think Steel could at least put a serviceable defense together for now...but I really don't know. Going small is dumb though, the big dogs would just brutalize us forever if we do that.

The main thing for me right now is I want developers...not just schemers. I want a staff that teaches guys where to be and what to do, and how to tackle and get off blocks.
I agree. It’s a double edge sword. If you take our current roster and line them up we will get blown up. We need a teacher and developer of talent and fundamentals. If you take someone like Steele he will develop a roster and teach but it will be a brutal learning lesson on the field for a few years until we can get the Jimmys and Joes in here on defense if we try to run a Steele type scheme.

Hubbs and AP said this morning he doesn't like Randy Shannon, and never liked Randy Shannon.

Supposedly Randy Shannon was hired by DW, not JH.

Even if he is hands off of the defense, which I am fine with, hopefully he finds somebody good who he can see eye to eye with.
Yeah, Basilio keeps saying he doesn't expect any defensive guys from UCF to come.... He also keeps saying nobody will be retained. So lets see where it goes

Yeah, Leach has a past history of hiring good assistants. Arnett runs a 3-3-5 stack from the Rocky Long school of defense. SEC offenses spreading it out and throwing it’s incumbent on having multiple athletic DBs on the back end.
I always thought the big knock on Leach was sucky defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back