Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
After today, I don't think they'll try again. There is no better proof that the system is rigged against the 99% than what happened today. It's a shame.
It is fundamentally unsound. And it from what I understand it destroys companies. I am not a stock market guy, but I think I understand the big picture.

Really good post. We are short in some key areas.

Need a back up Center.

CB - ouch.

Safety - ouch.

LB - ouch

I think offense will be far ahead of defense. which is crazy to me with Pruitt being a defensive guy. Man he screwed this up in a number of simple ways.
I try to find a tackle, CB, S, and 1-2 LBs in the portal.

I do think the list is lopsided because Tyus Fields and McDonald are both safeties IIRC

Here's what I'd like to see, in an ideal world:

Elarbee and Golesh are non-negotiables for me. Those guys have to be here.

Kodi Burns is a good recruiter, bring him as well. Kodi Burns, Wide Receivers Coach (FB), Auburn Tigers

I hope Steele stays because I want someone with Tennessee ties on staff. Garner is a great recruiter, so is Brick Haley. All three are great football coaches too. I'd put Haley in the outside linebackers role, have Steele as inside linebackers. Garner can have the defensive line.

JJ McClesky and/or Willie Martinez as secondary coaches. Montario Hardesty as RBs coach. McClesky can recruit Louisiana, Hardesty covers the Carolinas.
All good with everything but Martinez...not negotiable. Bass/Weinke level. 😒

I think our best case scenario for JH is being like Texas Tech was under Leach or Baylor was under Art Briles in the Big 12. Heupel's system was learned from both of those guys. Briles never had a class ranked higher than #25, and Leach never went higher than #28. Still, both were offensive innovators who were a difficult matchup within the league, were usually a factor in the race, and sometimes broke through with special seasons. They usually ran aground against the best programs when those programs were clicking on all cylinders, but they'd beat the rest of the pack more often than not, and could get some wins when the big programs were declining.

That's basically where we are in the SEC right now. Even if our classes are in the 15-25 range, I think we can be beating the Mizzou, SC, UK, and Vandy's fairly regularly, and if we catch UF or UGA in a down year, might take one of them out too. If JH gets us to that level and can sustain it for a while, maybe we can upgrade, or he will learn enough to take the next step. I don't think he's a gimmick that will flame out like Hal Mumme.

If Lebby doesn’t budge as the OC hire, you go get Kendal Briles, then have him bring his OL coach. I’d do that before bringing Elarbee

Really good post. We are short in some key areas.

Need a back up Center.

CB - ouch.

Safety - ouch.

LB - ouch

I think offense will be far ahead of defense. which is crazy to me with Pruitt being a defensive guy. Man he screwed this up in a number of simple ways.

Crazy how young we look due to no one advancing a year of eligibility. (we are young in general though with a lot of talent so hopefully Heupel can have a good nucleus that fits his systems to build around).

Who do you think would be some good options? I don’t want a washed up former defensive coordinator from the SEC. I want an up and comer from outside the league.
I honestly don't know. I think Steel could at least put a serviceable defense together for now...but I really don't know. Going small is dumb though, the big dogs would just brutalize us forever if we do that.

The main thing for me right now is I want developers...not just schemers. I want a staff that teaches guys where to be and what to do, and how to tackle and get off blocks.

Uhh well it’s better than our coaches saying .... “we need better players”..... (we get better players) then our coaches saying “we just gotta coach em up” .....
I'm just saying you absolutely need both to compete in the SEC and we don't have proof Josh Heupel is a good developer of talent. We *think* he is, and it's fair to say we know he's a top-end offensive mind, but that doesn't always mean development is great.

We need to recruit well to bridge the gap if he isn't a great developmental coach - it's the same thing I said about Pruitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back