Prepare for War

The reason it's used is because war doesn't have to be armed conflict. Armed conflict is certainly the most common definition but simply conflict is also a definition. Thus we have economic war, spiritual war, corporate war and some people, like me , are at war with themselves from one week to the next during football season. It's simply a metaphor.

Understood, but the most common usage of the word is in reference to armed conflict. It’s also the metaphor he was using unless you think he is referring to an inner or spiritual war.

Well as soon as we hired Pruitt the inevitable though has to creep into any vol fans mind...will bama look to replace saban with Pruitt. I think it obviously hinges entirely on how successful Pruitt is here. And he has a long ways to go before being considered. A longs ways. But let’s just assume that we continue to improve over the next 3 years and saban deciders to retire following the 2022 season. Pruitt has a really tough decision. TN at that point will be entirely his team. Everyone will have had to buy in and all those players will be his players. I honestly believe it would be a really dumb decision for him to follow saban. It’s an absolutely impossible situation to be successful in. No coach in the world will be successful immediately following saban. None. All the players on that roster will be saban’s. Whoever comes in is in for a tough 3-5 years. They’ll eventually fail and potentially the following coach will have a chance to start over and be successful. Pruitt will have a tough decision due to his ties to bama. That has to have been the dream job when he first got into coaching. But hopefully he’ll be able to recognize the best path to him having a legacy of his own will be to remain at the school that allowed him to become a coach to begin with. We’ll see. I’d say that’s a great problem to be worried about down the road. If saban retired now we’d have nothing to worry about.[/QUOTE

Well as soon as we hired Pruitt the inevitable though has to creep into any vol fans mind...will bama look to replace saban with Pruitt. I think it obviously hinges entirely on how successful Pruitt is here. And he has a long ways to go before being considered. A longs ways. But let’s just assume that we continue to improve over the next 3 years and saban deciders to retire following the 2022 season. Pruitt has a really tough decision. TN at that point will be entirely his team. Everyone will have had to buy in and all those players will be his players. I honestly believe it would be a really dumb decision for him to follow saban. It’s an absolutely impossible situation to be successful in. No coach in the world will be successful immediately following saban. None. All the players on that roster will be saban’s. Whoever comes in is in for a tough 3-5 years. They’ll eventually fail and potentially the following coach will have a chance to start over and be successful. Pruitt will have a tough decision due to his ties to bama. That has to have been the dream job when he first got into coaching. But hopefully he’ll be able to recognize the best path to him having a legacy of his own will be to remain at the school that allowed him to become a coach to begin with. We’ll see. I’d say that’s a great problem to be worried about down the road. If saban retired now we’d have nothing to worry about.
👆Agree

Understood, but the most common usage of the word is in reference to armed conflict. It’s also the metaphor he was using unless you think he is referring to an inner or spiritual war.
Some people just don't have a problem with it. My late father fought in some very tough combat in WWII but almost every time the Vols ran through the T, he would say "all right boys it's time to go to war". He certainly wasn't confusing the two but he simply meant it's time to do battle with someone.

I’m a believer that Pruitt & Co. will have Tennessee competitive for SECCs and the NCS. Along the way, I believe we will see a dip in Alabama fortunes and Saban being smart enough to bow out to preserve his legacy. It’s then that the pachyderm polookas will come calling.

If the UT is smart, they will begin now arming themselves for war. Start now putting aside the money needed to combat Bama’s push to get Pruitt and perhaps his entire staff. Start now being as dedicated as Bama to the football program to keep it top tier. Instead of lapsing back into the cesspool we allowed it to get mired in the first place. It might not be a bad idea to set a goal of a five hundred million stash to go along with whatever else might be needed. And even if we lost out, we’d be in such a sweet place hire whoever else wanted. Start arming now for the war to come.

Well said, Mrs Pruitt!

???
He just went out and hired the best coaches he could get to run his offense and his defense. I don't think their is any secret as to their success. Coach O can recruit in La. (if nowhere else) and along the southern area. For the most part that's as far as he needs to look as their are nearly enough elite players in that area to make a winning team every year. Especially with the staff he as put together.

All LSU was missing was a QB. They got one.

Yep Bama and Saban won't recover from that LSU loss. Shut the program down and fire Saban! :rolleyes:
Bama had that win in the bag. They dropped balls all day long, big plays squandered.
Bama is still in the playoffs. Bama will win another NC I think. I don't like it, but thems the breaks for now boys.
Don't count GA out either, they could beat LSU in SEC championship.
Ppl don't always look at the big picture, they just remember last Saturday.

College playoff in no order:
Most likely:
OSU
Bama
Winner LSU/GA
Clemson

Could happen:
OSU (I hope Minnesota beats them though)
GA wins SEC championship
LSU remains top 4 after SEC champ loss, knocking Bama out.
Clemson

Could happen:
OSU
GA wins SEC championship
LSU remains top 4
Bama moves over Clemson---3 SEC teams in playoffs lol geez.

One month ago: “Fire Pruitt, he’s idiot, doesn’t know anything about QB’s, no fire or emotion, in over his head.”
Now: “Pruitt is a genius, how do we keep him being stolen by Alabubba?”
I wish we had back that could change direction like the fan base.

I have changed my opinion from "it appears we have made a serious mistake in hiring Pruitt" to more of a " he seems to be learning on the job" outlook.

I do think the ones annointed him the savior are likely the same ones who swore he was the answer 2 days post hiring.

However having a Charlie Garner type back would probably make CJP look better..😎

Maybe. But with their war chest, they'd rebound swiftly with yet another quality hire. However, I don't think Saban quits this season. Bama has too much resiliency both fiscal and player talent to stay down if what you describe happens.

Please stop saying resiliency, Butch. The word is resilience.

What do sports have to do with War? One is entertainment and the other has real consequences. Perhaps a bad day to choose this particular wording.

Football is very analogous to war.

Similarities include physical combat, fighting to gain territory, wearing protective armor, and winners and losers.

General Neyland understood the relationship very well. It's one reason he was successful at both.

Please stop saying resiliency, Butch. The word is resilience.

I ain't Lyle, and I know whereof I speak...er...post. Most of the time anyway.

resiliency
  • n.
    Same as resilience.

Resilience.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

Bless you, all the same, Nick. :)

Bama had that win in the bag. They dropped balls all day long, big plays squandered.
Bama is still in the playoffs. Bama will win another NC I think. I don't like it, but thems the breaks for now boys.
Don't count GA out either, they could beat LSU in SEC championship.
Ppl don't always look at the big picture, they just remember last Saturday.

College playoff in no order:
Most likely:
OSU
Bama
Winner LSU/GA
Clemson

Could happen:
OSU (I hope Minnesota beats them though)
GA wins SEC championship
LSU remains top 4 after SEC champ loss, knocking Bama out.
Clemson

Could happen:
OSU
GA wins SEC championship
LSU remains top 4
Bama moves over Clemson---3 SEC teams in playoffs lol geez.
Bama isn't getting in without Tua now unless they somehow win the sec

Last edited:
How can we or for that matter anyone say what is Pruitt's dream job? (only he can answer that question) I would think if he builds a dominate program that is shoulder to shoulder with the best, then why would he turn his baby over to someone else? Money? By then he will have all the money he will need or want.
You answered your own question.

Reactions: savannahfan
Bama isn't getting in without Tua know unless they somehow win the sec

Even with Tua, it wasn't one of Saban's better teams. Too many injuries at linebacker. Average offensive line.

Without Tua, there are 8-10 teams that can beat Bama.

Perhaps Auburn, if Nix has a good day.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I ain't Lyle, and I know whereof I speak...er...post. Most of the time anyway.

resiliency
  • n.
    Same as resilience.

Resilience.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

Bless you, all the same, Nick. :)

Might be a good time to know more, e.g.
pretentious, stilted verbosity.

Please don't be like Butch. Thanks and back at you with the generous wishes.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back