People need to understand that if Maurer was the better QB then our coaches would start him

This idea that coaches dont play the player that gives them the best chance to win is as ludicrous as that guys story about Ryan Johnson.

This is not a defense of CJP, but only Butch would be stupid enough to do that.
How can you be so sure? This coaching staff gives me no faith that they could see Talent if it hit them on the head. Get the freshman in there that's your future anyway.

Reactions: cgrish and 1vol8
Extremely boring Television - watching JG lead an offense. Lead is probably the wrong word to use.
Yeah I hear that doctors are prescribing videos of JG playing quarterback to help cure insomnia. On the flip side though it is driving some people 2 extreme depression. They got to figure it out.

Reactions: vols 30
I think Pruitt is letting the season play out. Florida will remove JG from the starting line up. JG holds the ball so long he will be cannon fodder in the swamp... Then my friends, we will have a new quarterback....

Deems like the main "talent" that the quarterback needs right now is the ability to look one way and throw another. It doesn't matter how good his arm is if everyone knows where the ball is going.

If that were true, why was JT the one to grab a helmet instead of Maurer when the BYU lineman threw JG's cleat? Is JT better than both of them?
No telling. We have a new OC so I'm assuming that means a new playbook. In that case all 3 have the same starting point so who is the faster learner and who can read the defenses best and call the protections? More variables involved other than just throwing the ball. We'd like to think that we are improving on the OLine but we really can't gauge that because of the two cupcakes that we've played thusfar. I'm in favor of playing the faster runner amongst the 3. I don't know how many TD passes Trevor Lawrence has thrown total but an announcer stated Sat. against Texas A&M that he's thrown 6 TD's while being forced out of the pocket. By playing 2 cupcakes JG has yet to feel much pressure this season so his game should improve but it hasn't. I think the pressure is coming with better opponents and it's gonna get more uglier than it is now.

I still think at some point in the season, someone besides JG starts. Will that improve things? Who knows. I hope JG can get better with more help from Cheney but I have my doubts.

And I already know what will happen Saturday. JG will have a decent game against the outmanned Mocs and any chance we have of seeing one of the other guys this year will be lost. Then we go 2-7 over the last 9 games.
And both their azzes hit the portal. A good reflection on this great staff who by the way have Chaney, Weinke, Martin, and we're to believe they can't correct this shat?

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
Guys he’s not putting in a freshman because he doesn’t want to lose Bailey. JP is risking his job for next year and so on.. He’s doing what Butch did.. which is very idiotic..
Bailey could care less.....he's coming to UT regardless. He's also attempting to hold the class together showing signs of true leadership. He'll serve as UT's rock, a solid foundation.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
The fact that a Tennessee fan would post what the OP did is hilariously ironic. Johnny Majors redshirted Chuck Webb in 1988, then didn't start him until Reggie Cobb got kicked off the team. So we really only got a few games out of him when he should have started from the day he stepped on campus til the day he stepped off. The Fulmer/Cutcliffe/Jamal Lewis fiasco is legendary. Refused to start him until we'd lost the Florida game, even though he was 100x better than Mark Levine. This is an actual quote from Jamal. "Coach (David) Cutcliffe approached me about two weeks before my first start and said `You know, Jamal, you'll never play for me,'" Lewis recalled of the conversation with the Vols' then-offensive coordinator. "I asked why and he said `You're not a good practice player.' I told him that I was a gamer; I get in the game and make things happen." Of course a week after blowing it vs UF again, Jamal rushed for 232 vs Ole Miss when he finally got to start. Proving that he was as he said, a gamer.

There are tons of examples of coaches for inexplicable reasons (usually practice related) playing less talented players and looking stupid when the back up finally gets to play and dominates.
There truly are players who simply don't put much stock into practice but most are pros. One used to be the injury risk but as long as you are in good enough condition to play 4 qtrs. without fatique setting in and have the mental game down pat there are instances where practice isn't beneficial. Running backs fall into this category but definitely not QB's and receivers.

I think Pruitt is letting the season play out. Florida will remove JG from the starting line up. JG holds the ball so long he will be cannon fodder in the swamp... Then my friends, we will have a new quarterback....
Need to let at least let one of the freshmen play this weekend because JG's likely to go down at least for a series against UF, UGA, or Bama. An ounce of prevention = a pound of cure. Just let one get used to it or we'll continue looking stupid.

Nathan Peterman, nuff said. Some guys are amazing in practice, crappy on the field. Others have the opposite issue, except with our guys, they never see the field.
I think Peterman's problem was that he wasn't given meaningful snaps until he was thrown to the wolves. Eventually, he ended up being a pretty good QB, just not at UT. Butch was bad about that. The best a backup could do was get in during mop up (god I miss mop up,don't you?) and hand the ball off. To really see a player develop, at least open up his playbook during mop up. Take some shots, do something other than hand the ball off. Get the number 2 guy on the field SOME. Otherwise, when your starter blows his knee or chokes, the backup is deer in the headlights, and that was Peterman. That could have had a whole different outcome if he'd been gradually acclimated to the role of QB.
When this happens (youtube below), I think it could have been avoided. First "meaninful snap" and look what happens. Then the coaches can say, "See, I told you so, he's not ready".

Reactions: CAVPUT
The fact that a Tennessee fan would post what the OP did is hilariously ironic. Johnny Majors redshirted Chuck Webb in 1988, then didn't start him until Reggie Cobb got kicked off the team. So we really only got a few games out of him when he should have started from the day he stepped on campus til the day he stepped off. The Fulmer/Cutcliffe/Jamal Lewis fiasco is legendary. Refused to start him until we'd lost the Florida game, even though he was 100x better than Mark Levine. This is an actual quote from Jamal. "Coach (David) Cutcliffe approached me about two weeks before my first start and said `You know, Jamal, you'll never play for me,'" Lewis recalled of the conversation with the Vols' then-offensive coordinator. "I asked why and he said `You're not a good practice player.' I told him that I was a gamer; I get in the game and make things happen." Of course a week after blowing it vs UF again, Jamal rushed for 232 vs Ole Miss when he finally got to start. Proving that he was as he said, a gamer.

There are tons of examples of coaches for inexplicable reasons (usually practice related) playing less talented players and looking stupid when the back up finally gets to play and dominates.
It happens all the way down to the pre wee level

This idea that coaches dont play the player that gives them the best chance to win is as ludicrous as that guys story about Ryan Johnson.

This is not a defense of CJP, but only Butch would be stupid enough to do that.
disagree.......nobody in the right mind would start a true freshman over JG to start this season. perfect example............Trevor Lawrence was more talented than Kelly Bryant, yet Dabo started the season with Bryant. why? because experience means something, especially to start the season. Eventually, Dabo decided to start Lawrence. another reason for that is the transfer portal. Dabo, in theory, could of waited to start Lawrence in an effort to trap Bryant from transferring prior to the 5th game.

Let's be straight, JG may be the best QB....during practice and in the film room. Hence they are saying he is the best option. However, to say he is our best chance at winning, well now that is a different story. The record (0-2) contradicts that. Given his body of work to date, what makes one think he is the best chance at winning? Heck, after Saturday, not sure he is the best chance at not losing it singlehandedly.

VN Store

Back