People need to understand that if Maurer was the better QB then our coaches would start him

This idea that coaches dont play the player that gives them the best chance to win is as ludicrous as that guys story about Ryan Johnson.

This is not a defense of CJP, but only Butch would be stupid enough to do that.

Perhaps, but as late as Guarantano is with his release? The backups need to step up.

This idea that coaches dont play the player that gives them the best chance to win is as ludicrous as that guys story about Ryan Johnson.

This is not a defense of CJP, but only Butch would be stupid enough to do that.

Just asking but what did I miss about the guys Ryan Johnson story? I read his post. What was so unbelievable? Not being snarky. Real question. 👊🏼

Maurer's high school coaches say he can make all of the throws at the D-1 level.

Brian Maurer 'able to make all of the throws necessary'

So can JG. Unfortunately, "making the throws" is only a part of the picture. There's understanding and retaining the playbook. Being able to make the reads and checks. And perhaps the biggest adjustment for any freshman qb...adjusting to the speed of the game especially when SEC play begins. We all want the new guy(s), but we've seen this play out before. There are reasons Maurer and Shrout are backups right now.

You know fans might come out and watch a freshman qb take over and ride with his ups and downs as he learns the position in real time. I think the fatigue and futility with watching JG implode against Sunbelt and minor competition is allowing too many fans to tune out completely from sustaining interest in the Pruitt rebuild. Maurer or Shrout deserve playing time now or ASAP and molly coddling JG or treating him like a valued SEC qb is ridiculous at this point. If the coaches have no better qb than what has been shown so far in 2019, it is on them.

Maurer goes in today at some point and looks fantastic. Problem is, no way he goes into the Swamp and gets his first start.
JG is the starter for the foreseeable future.

images
BM has "Moxie"

Reactions: rocytop2624
So can JG. Unfortunately, "making the throws" is only a part of the picture. There's understanding and retaining the playbook. Being able to make the reads and checks. And perhaps the biggest adjustment for any freshman qb...adjusting to the speed of the game especially when SEC play begins. We all want the new guy(s), but we've seen this play out before. There are reasons Maurer and Shrout are backups right now.

You typed that as if JG can actually do those things.

Reactions: hexnut
From the article:

“Brian uses his athleticism to create throwing lanes, escape pressure and be able to run the ball when needed.”

That is not a glaring scouting report from his HS coaching staff. Basing things off "Making all the throws" is a quality that is setting the bar low. I would have preferred to hear hos HS coach say that he has the ability to process quickly & then make an extremely accurate throw. I remain skeptical.

You typed that as if JG can actually do those things.

Clearly he's regressed. He wasn't this careless or narrow sighted last year. Having said that I have to think that the staff doesn't want to damage the younger players by tossing them into the fires before they're ready. Remember Peterman vs UF? He was never the same and transferred out. We need better qb play. We just don't have anyone capable or ready at the moment. Like it or not, we sink or swim with JG right now.

I'd love to see us blow the doors of UTC in the first half then give each backup qb a quarter in the second half to run the offense. I'd play as many of the starters with them as possible and open up the playbook for both of them. It's likely the last/only chance to get them the kind of comfortable reps during game situations. If it doesn't happen today....

Clearly he's regressed. He wasn't this careless or narrow sighted last year. Having said that I have to think that the staff doesn't want to damage the younger players by tossing them into the fires before they're ready. Remember Peterman vs UF? He was never the same and transferred out. We need better qb play. We just don't have anyone capable or ready at the moment. Like it or not, we sink or swim with JG right now.

I'd love to see us blow the doors of UTC in the first half then give each backup qb a quarter in the second half to run the offense. I'd play as many of the starters with them as possible and open up the playbook for both of them. It's likely the last/only chance to get them the kind of comfortable reps during game situations. If it doesn't happen today....

Regressed? His throwing ability might have regressed these first two games, but he's never shown any ability to read a defense or run his progressions properly, sustain offensive drives, or even consistently throw touchdowns.

To beat it all, he's a 4th year junior.

To be fair the jury is still out on Pruitt and Butch didn’t play Kamara until he had to. Coaches have done dumber things, this is Tennessee after all. Yeah

Regressed? His throwing ability might have regressed these first two games, but he's never shown any ability to read a defense or run his progressions properly, sustain offensive drives, or even consistently throw touchdowns.

To beat it all, he's a 4th year junior.
He had a bad game against BYU but that is all full of lies. He did those things great last year. Hence his PFF ranking.

VN Store

Back