People need to understand that if Maurer was the better QB then our coaches would start him

According to reports dobbs was not a very good peformer in practice but when the lights came on we all know the story.
I got really disgusted and disinterested once I saw what Dobbs was capable of, and then realized that Worley was still the guy, as long as he wasn't injured. Seemed dumb then and now.

We heard the same arguments bout coaches and practice and all that. JG somehow has Worleys ability, and Dobbs durability. That's a toxic mixture for us. Add in the fact that he can never run an offense well enough to have any kind of comfortable lead, against any opponent, and you have this situation. He's dug in like a chigger. And Its just as annoying.

Nathan Peterman, nuff said. Some guys are amazing in practice, crappy on the field. Others have the opposite issue, except with our guys, they never see the field.
In Peterman's defense he got away from Jones and had a better career at Pitt then JG is having here.

Reactions: papatomany
This offense right now doesn't need a big arm. What it needs is somebody that can look over the field and see the best option quickly. JG just cannot and will not look over the field. It's one guy read and dump short if he is not open. Protect his stats that is what JG does. How can the receivers respect this guy when they see the film and and see how wide open they are and JG never turns his head to try and find them. If you are running patterns to his back side he will never see you.

This kind of thinking is why we are in this position now. You always play the best players, screw seniority and player feelings.

Every team deals with QB transfers, yet most are able to put decent qb play on the field every year.
Your are correct. But most teams aren’t looking into the face of two QBs leaving. We can’t afford that this year.

In Peterman's defense he got away from Jones and had a better career at Pitt then JG is having here.

And Jim Chaney was his QB coach.

Maybe JG needs a similar change in scenery and competition, albeit, GAST was too much for him.

Peterman became his old self in Buffalo lest that be forgotten.

While not an apples to apples comparison, you can look at UCLA to see an example of a good coach not getting quick results. People point to the coaching staff as the problem , but like Kelly's situation , the players have to settle in and learn the system , get good at fundamentals , and stay consistent .

Maybe JG needs a similar change in scenery and competition, albeit, GAST was too much for him.

Peterman became his old self in Buffalo lest that be forgotten.
The concern is winning games at UT. Couldn't care less about the pros. I think Peterman is still holding a clipboard in Oakland last I saw. That may have changed too.

This idea that coaches dont play the player that gives them the best chance to win is as ludicrous as that guys story about Ryan Johnson.

This is not a defense of CJP, but only Butch would be stupid enough to do that.

In limited action, he had moxey, mobility, and made plays. Then he got careless and turned into an interception generator.

I say you give JG until up until the UF game to play better. If he doesn't, you can get another QB ready during the bye week.

I find it hard to believe that Maurer would be worse in a game environment than what we saw Saturday.

I’m really irritated
We’ve already seen Maurer in a game environment. To him it was a game. To us it was only the spring game. He made a mistake. No doubt but he also moved the offense unlike any other that day as a true freshman that should have still been in Hs. If Chaney doesn’t call 3 runs inside the 5 he puts up 6 on his first drive. Would’ve started 7-7 if not for a bobble out of bounds by the TE and another possible scoring drive. If Lowe doesn’t fumble after the half, you just felt like that would’ve been another scoring drive. He literally only ran 16 total plays and had numbers comparable to both along with a 70% completion rate.

A big difference between Game and Practice. Sometimes a team doesn't know what they have until an individual is put on the big stage. I am not implying that will happen in our case but what I am saying is that we have struggled under JG, he is not the future. We need to cut sling load and chalk him up as a bust or loss, whichever. If one of our younger guys are the future of the program I would much rather they start learning now by going live and who knows, one of them might surprise us. I have harped on this, I can live with mistakes and losses due to inexperience however I cannot with incompetence. Also, let's not forget BM has four games he can play and still RS so what does it hurt to play him, NADA. Not like UT is going to make new years six bowl so what are we really playing for, experience and to get better so play the young guys if the older guys aren't cutting it because they are our future.

Don't ever forget, Ronnie "Sunshine" Bass lit it up when he got his chance. He wasn't a good practice player. Seemed to have trouble with the pitch.

You act like coaches don't pull this kind of sh*t ALL THE TIME.

They do.

Maybe JG is the best. Maybe not. Pruitt not playing the backup is not proof positive of that however
After last week, these coaches know they’re on notice. No way they continue to play JG, IF they think Maurer is better...if JG playing, it certainly means he’s just not there yet.

JG was the "safest" of the QBs, but that is becoming less and less true. He has the most of the "game manager" stuff down. As long as he is not asked to do too much himself... he is the best QB.
Problem is that this is the worst kept secret in all of football. Without a legit threat to throw, especially in the rec zone, nothing else is going to work.
Shrout and Maurer are both inconsistent with accuracy. Maurer especially likes to channel Favre a bit too much, which can blow up in your face, easily.
Brett Favre played in the NFL and won a Superbowl so........

Exactly!! We do not have a stable of QBs that can step up if needed. Most teams don’t either. JG is the guy until injury or next year. CJP is in a tough spot with this situation.
JG gets benched= Sure to transfer
TJS gets the nod and does well= BM portal
BM gets the nod and does well= TJS portal and the chance to lose HB.
HB decomits= WE ARE SCREWD!!!

Take our lumps this year and play chess. Not checkers...
Ridiculous. Win now or lose your job. Playing chess will get us beat.

So I guess I'm supposed to believe that either Pruitt plays JG simply because he's stubborn or can't evaluate players as well as fans. IMO, he believes JG gives us the best chance to win, but what does he know? Maybe he should let the armchair QB's on Volnation choose who plays. We should start a poll and send him the results!
How would Pruitt or anyone know without evaluating live game reps from our backups?

VN Store

Back