People need to understand that if Maurer was the better QB then our coaches would start him

So I guess I'm supposed to believe that either Pruitt plays JG simply because he's stubborn or can't evaluate players as well as fans. IMO, he believes JG gives us the best chance to win, but what does he know? Maybe he should let the armchair QB's on Volnation choose who plays. We should start a poll and send him the results!

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
At this point I don’t see how getting the back ups some game reps can hurt. I can see why they wouldn’t play against BYU, and the Ga St game never opened up enough to get them in. Surely they will get playing time against Nooga.
Well if JGs starting and plays nooga like he did the last 2, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Brian Maurer is far better than JG....
So Pruitt is in the same boat as Butch right now...
If that were true, why was JT the one to grab a helmet instead of Maurer when the BYU lineman threw JG's cleat? Is JT better than both of them?

If that were true, why was JT the one to grab a helmet instead of Maurer when the BYU lineman threw JG's cleat? Is JT better than both of them?

Dude.

It's pointless to debate until they actually play. Do you understand???

We've seen this dozens of times over the years where a player is good in practice, but great during the games. Or very good in practice, but then freeze under the lights. What good is it if you can't perform on game day???

And how the heck are you supposed to find out how good a player is until you let them IN THE GAME????

Last edited:

Its worriesome that neither Shrout or Maurer was good enough in the Spring and Summer to play well enough to seperate themselves from JG.

Reactions: peerless98
Dude.

It's pointless to debate until they actually play. Do you understand???

We've seen this dozens of times over the years where a player is good in practice, but great during the games. Or very good in practice, but then freeze under the lights. What good is it if you can't perform on game day???

And how the heck are you supposed to find out how a good a player is until you let IN THR GAME????
All fair points, but would you have risked putting either one of them in against GA State or BYU? It's easy to look back now and say yes, but during the game there is no way a coach would risk that. Keep in mind, while JG is struggling, the offense did enough to win both of those games.

Maybe this instead of the obvious..we have exactly 3 scholly qb’s. Pruitt opens up qb tryouts today. He decides to go with Maurer. Maurer plays well. What’s likely to happen with our luck? JG hits the portal. How you gonna go with a freshman and red shirt freshman thru the sec schedule? And why would JT hang around with the Maryland qb and Bailey coming? It’s tricky
its not tricky we wouldn't be lucky enough for JG transfer out nobody dumb enough to play him...…….where would he go GEORGIA STATE they have seen him play...…...

Didnt people say the same thing about Dobbs when Worley was starting?

Exactly what I was thinking. If I was Pruitt I'd play Shrout and Maurer for Chattanooga game and put in JG only if needed., let JG rest for Florida. If JG is getting pounded in Florida game he won't be able to play mentally then put in Maurer or Shrout whichever one looked better in Chatt game.

Last edited:
This idea that coaches dont play the player that gives them the best chance to win is as ludicrous as that guys story about Ryan Johnson.

This is not a defense of CJP, but only Butch would be stupid enough to do that.
This idea that coaches dont play the player that gives them the best chance to win is as ludicrous as that guys story about Ryan Johnson.

This is not a defense of CJP, but only Butch would be stupid enough to do that.
A big difference between Game and Practice. Sometimes a team doesn't know what they have until an individual is put on the big stage. I am not implying that will happen in our case but what I am saying is that we have struggled under JG, he is not the future. We need to cut sling load and chalk him up as a bust or loss, whichever. If one of our younger guys are the future of the program I would much rather they start learning now by going live and who knows, one of them might surprise us. I have harped on this, I can live with mistakes and losses due to inexperience however I cannot with incompetence. Also, let's not forget BM has four games he can play and still RS so what does it hurt to play him, NADA. Not like UT is going to make new years six bowl so what are we really playing for, experience and to get better so play the young guys if the older guys aren't cutting it because they are our future.

Did anyone else on here notice that JT Shrout was warming up on our sideline during one of the breaks in the 3rd QTR of the BYU game????

If JG is such a good practice QB, let him throw against the 1st string dbacks in practice and make them better while the best game QB of either freshmen throw against the opponent during the game...maybe they won't stare down receivers or throw into triple coverage with 2 other receivers wide open as much

Reactions: Vol2B
A big difference between Game and Practice. Sometimes a team doesn't know what they have until an individual is put on the big stage. I am not implying that will happen in our case but what I am saying is that we have struggled under JG, he is not the future. We need to cut sling load and chalk him up as a bust or loss, whichever. If one of our younger guys are the future of the program I would much rather they start learning now by going live and who knows, one of them might surprise us. I have harped on this, I can live with mistakes and losses due to inexperience however I cannot with incompetence. Also, let's not forget BM has four games he can play and still RS so what does it hurt to play him, NADA. Not like UT is going to make new years six bowl so what are we really playing for, experience and to get better so play the young guys if the older guys aren't cutting it because they are our future.
Nathan Peterman, Justin Worley case in point...

Ya...because Pruitt has demonstrated that he’s so smart right. Lol. Mauer hasn’t played in a game so we don’t know. We know jg does well in non contact, 7 on 7 type stuff. That’s what made him an elite recruit. But we also know that he’s absolutely horrible in a real game. The game is too fast for him. I’d venture to say that both backups are better than him. Because honestly, I don’t think they could be any worse

JG was the "safest" of the QBs, but that is becoming less and less true. He has the most of the "game manager" stuff down. As long as he is not asked to do too much himself... he is the best QB.
Problem is that this is the worst kept secret in all of football. Without a legit threat to throw, especially in the rec zone, nothing else is going to work.
Shrout and Maurer are both inconsistent with accuracy. Maurer especially likes to channel Favre a bit too much, which can blow up in your face, easily.

Nathan Peterman, Justin Worley case in point...
Crazy, Peterman transfers to Pitt his first year he beats a stout Clemson team that won the Natty that year and then gets picked up to play in the NFL after his final year. Who would have thought?

It’s scary that it’s GLARINGLY OBVIOUS that our offensive issues require a change, if for nothing else to observe other options in live action, but is falling on blind eyes for our coaches
Agreed. There just HAS to be a reason we don't know about...or something

Maybe this instead of the obvious..we have exactly 3 scholly qb’s. Pruitt opens up qb tryouts today. He decides to go with Maurer. Maurer plays well. What’s likely to happen with our luck? JG hits the portal. How you gonna go with a freshman and red shirt freshman thru the sec schedule? And why would JT hang around with the Maryland qb and Bailey coming? It’s tricky
The "I quit" portal. A new worry makes itself present. We have a track record of those don't we...…..Da@@, how do you wrestle with that potential problem??????????

Exactly!! We do not have a stable of QBs that can step up if needed. Most teams don’t either. JG is the guy until injury or next year. CJP is in a tough spot with this situation.
JG gets benched= Sure to transfer
TJS gets the nod and does well= BM portal
BM gets the nod and does well= TJS portal and the chance to lose HB.
HB decomits= WE ARE SCREWD!!!

Take our lumps this year and play chess. Not checkers...

This kind of thinking is why we are in this position now. You always play the best players, screw seniority and player feelings.

Every team deals with QB transfers, yet most are able to put decent qb play on the field every year.

VN Store

Back