People need to understand that if Maurer was the better QB then our coaches would start him

So I guess I'm supposed to believe that either Pruitt plays JG simply because he's stubborn or can't evaluate players as well as fans. IMO, he believes JG gives us the best chance to win, but what does he know? Maybe he should let the armchair QB's on Volnation choose who plays. We should start a poll and send him the results!

I reckon Butch Jones would have been better served letting VN pick his starting lineup.

The jury is still out on Pruitt. I’m not positive that his IQ is north of 85.

But wouldn't UTC be the perfect game to get their feet wet?

I think the teams behind JG so you gotta give him time to improve imo before you just bench him. (I know he's a 4th year player. He should be better. I agree. But it's clearly mental. Let's see if he can shake it off.)

This is the everlong experience vs potential debate, starter vs backup. Young talent vs Veteran, uh, yea JG is terrible.

Jalen Hurts starts 2 years and loses 2 games. Saban benches him and starts the 2nd half of championship game with a Freshman. Tenn may not have a Tua on the bench but they would not currently be benching a Hurts either
If what you're tryin ain't working, you gotta try something different.

Reactions: BeardedVol
Like others have said I was puzzled as to why Kamara didn't get more playing time here.

I think the teams behind JG so you gotta give him time to improve imo before you just bench him. (I know he's a 4th year player. He should be better. I agree. But it's clearly mental. Let's see if he can shake it off.)
See I don’t think the team is really behind him tbh. He took a lot of cheap shots last year. Not once did an o lineman or anyone else get in someone’s grill over it. Some dude takes his shoe off and chunks into the stands this past weekend and no one went to his defense. So I’m not so sure.

This idea that coaches dont play the player that gives them the best chance to win is as ludicrous as that guys story about Ryan Johnson.

This is not a defense of CJP, but only Butch would be stupid enough to do that.

We will see if he continues with jg, most everyone knows the other qb cant be any worse and their ceiling much better.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
JG was the "safest" of the QBs, but that is becoming less and less true. He has the most of the "game manager" stuff down. As long as he is not asked to do too much himself... he is the best QB.
Problem is that this is the worst kept secret in all of football. Without a legit threat to throw, especially in the rec zone, nothing else is going to work.
Shrout and Maurer are both inconsistent with accuracy. Maurer especially likes to channel Favre a bit too much, which can blow up in your face, easily.

Or can win a lot games

But wouldn't UTC be the perfect game to get their feet wet?

Giving JG the UTC game to possibly lose, and throwing Shrout or Mauer under the bus by making them start against Florida, would be the dumbest decision that Pruitt has mad this season, and that's saying alot because he's made several moronic decisions already.

If a change is going to be made, it has to happen this week.

Reactions: jacvols and cgrish
And I already know what will happen Saturday. JG will have a decent game against the outmanned Mocs and any chance we have of seeing one of the other guys this year will be lost. Then we go 2-7 over the last 9 games.

Who we gona beat out of those 9 games with jg as qb?

I'm curious of the look on Jennings face when he's open for the 20th time waiting on that pass from JG that never comes.

No I didn't think they are...
Haven't been the whole time...
Jennings had to say he was the leader of the team...

The fact that a Tennessee fan would post what the OP did is hilariously ironic. Johnny Majors redshirted Chuck Webb in 1988, then didn't start him until Reggie Cobb got kicked off the team. So we really only got a few games out of him when he should have started from the day he stepped on campus til the day he stepped off. The Fulmer/Cutcliffe/Jamal Lewis fiasco is legendary. Refused to start him until we'd lost the Florida game, even though he was 100x better than Mark Levine. This is an actual quote from Jamal. "Coach (David) Cutcliffe approached me about two weeks before my first start and said `You know, Jamal, you'll never play for me,'" Lewis recalled of the conversation with the Vols' then-offensive coordinator. "I asked why and he said `You're not a good practice player.' I told him that I was a gamer; I get in the game and make things happen." Of course a week after blowing it vs UF again, Jamal rushed for 232 vs Ole Miss when he finally got to start. Proving that he was as he said, a gamer.

There are tons of examples of coaches for inexplicable reasons (usually practice related) playing less talented players and looking stupid when the back up finally gets to play and dominates.

Reactions: 1vol8

VN Store

Back