Our QB room will be the best in the SEC

Why is the SEC average so much lower than that then?
A lot of reasons. One, not every program/team depends on deep throws for conversions and TD's. Fromm for example throws A LOT of short passes. Cut's "dink and dunk" with Ainge a few years back would have looked awful in this particular stat. They scored around 40 ppg and their best receiver was Lucas Taylor who if I remember correctly posted a 4.8 40 at the combine. Ainge set a record for completions too.

That's why I said that was a pretty parsed stat. It means something but only in the context of other stats.

Reactions: I40flyer
A lot of reasons. One, not every program/team depends on deep throws for conversions and TD's. Fromm for example throws A LOT of short passes. Cut's "dink and dunk" with Ainge a few years back would have looked awful in this particular stat. They scored around 40 ppg and their best receiver was Lucas Taylor who if I remember correctly posted a 4.8 40 at the combine. Ainge set a record for completions too.

That's why I said that was a pretty parsed stat. It means something but only in the context of other stats.
Not sure why offensive style matters. When Fromm does go downfield, his accuracy really drops. It’s a big topic down here right now.

I will say, I think WR personnel is worth a few points. Having 2 athletic Seniors on the outside is worth something.

Not sure why offensive style matters. When Fromm does go downfield, his accuracy really drops. It’s a big topic down here right now.

I will say, I think WR personnel is worth a few points. Having 2 athletic Seniors on the outside is worth something.
My point is that different O's are built to do different things. UGA is a ball control, run first, quick/short pass offense. They don't feature downfield throws.

You make a very good point about the receivers too. I think UGA's receiver group is getting some criticism too, right?

this upcoming Spring. We will have a veteran 3rd year starter, who while inconsistent, has proven to be a serviceable SEC starter ranking in the upper tier of all returning SEC QBs, we will have Blue Chip Fr Harrison Bailey, our highest acclaimed QB recruit since Peyton, Brian Maurer who has flashed well at times and seems to have the capabilities to be an SEC starter at QB, Big JT who is as physically gifted as anyone at the position with his prototypical size and cannon type arm strength and walkon Hill who has more experience than all other backups combined.

Guarantano, Bailey, Maurer, Hill, Shrout in my opinion will be the best QB group in the SEC come SPRING practice!

Pruitt will have his hands full keeping that group together past spring practice, but if he does then the next 3-4 seasons should be fun.

On another note, we could also have the best OL group, LB group and secondary in the SEC in '20 as well. Pruitt has really turned the roster over going into his 3rd year.

OL will be among the best, Kennedy is coming back, but Smith might leave

DB...maybe. Bryce Thompson is one of the better DBs in the SEC, we have a couple others showing promise, but not sure they will be best in SEC

LB is a bit of a head scratcher. To'o To'o will be back but we lose Bituli, and have no other proven studs there. Maybe Petersen or one of the other guys will work out, but this one seems like a reach.

My point is that different O's are built to do different things. UGA is a ball control, run first, quick/short pass offense. They don't feature downfield throws.

You make a very good point about the receivers too. I think UGA's receiver group is getting some criticism too, right?
UGA lost it’s top 5 receivers from 2018. Combine that with a new OC and drop off was inevitable. Fromm is good but he’s not going to take over a game with his arm.

Fromm has always been weak throwing deep particularly deep outs. The GA fanbase was getting onto Chaney for being to conservative and not letting Fromm loose. Fact is he couldn’t.

Fromm throws a lot of short passes-true. Peyton Manning averaged around 8 yards with his passing-he wasn't that bad, over-all I agree with your post.

OL will be among the best, Kennedy is coming back, but Smith might leave

DB...maybe. Bryce Thompson is one of the better DBs in the SEC, we have a couple others showing promise, but not sure they will be best in SEC

LB is a bit of a head scratcher. To'o To'o will be back but we lose Bituli, and have no other proven studs there. Maybe Petersen or one of the other guys will work out, but this one seems like a reach.
LB was definitely a reach. I'm banking on big #27 being a high caliber player next year, he's gonna be a beast in the middle I feel, but definitely a stretch. Alontae Taylor is the most underrated player on our team, i think he's going to have a All-SEC type year next season.

At this point, JG understands and manages the run game better than BM. UT had a lead. The run game was producing. There was no good reason to go to BM at that point. Pruitt likes "known" quantities. JG has been a practice warrior. He has far more experience. He understands the college game more. He has a better grasp of the O. I like Maurer but he's a Fr... and Pruitt's job is to build a winning program, not to justify himself to anyone's momma.

The UK game was a different scenario. UK had gotten a lead and was dictating the pace of the game. Maurer was not playing well. He wasn't making good decisions and unlike his previous outings he looked tentative... hesitant.

I have been critical of JG. Unlike a lot of his former critics, it will take more than 2 or 3 games to convince me he's completely turned the corner. But USCe, UK, and MU at least gave me "hope" again that he could become a good QB. His Vandy performance... has increased my doubt again.

I have generally defended BM. One reason is that I liked his aggressive style. That's why his UK performance makes me pause. He's a Fr. If he doesn't lose his confidence and is coached up, I think his ceiling is higher than JG's. But JG has a head start and has experience that is meaningful.

After BM warmed up (the kid is from FLORIDA), he was on target 7 times and his receivers dropped 4 passes...Should have been 11 completions in 2nd quarter alone...plus, his final completion - to Callaway - should have had a penalty tacked on for UK ripping off Callaway's helmet...That would have put Vols in FG range - my guess is that Pruitt would have inserted his man, JG, anyway. BTW, the next time JG checks out of a bad run play, it will be the first time. GBO.

After BM warmed up (the kid is from FLORIDA), he was on target 7 times and his receivers dropped 4 passes...Should have been 11 completions in 2nd quarter alone...plus, his final completion - to Callaway - should have had a penalty tacked on for UK ripping off Callaway's helmet...That would have put Vols in FG range - my guess is that Pruitt would have inserted his man, JG, anyway. BTW, the next time JG checks out of a bad run play, it will be the first time. GBO.
If you're gonna give one credit to receivers that drop passes you've got to give the other credit too, that's how it works. As for the Ky game, we were down 13-0 on the road and not effective at all in converting 3rd downs or points behind a true Fr at QB, not ideal and certainly not the time to see if the true Fr could come back and win the game in that environment. The change to go with a veteran to spark the team at QB was an easy call and I thought ended the debate over who our best option to win with was.

And that was the worst he’s looked all season yet I’m having to defend him on the difference between accuracy and decision making because of what the stats say.

And that was the worst he’s looked all season yet I’m having to defend him on the difference between accuracy and decision making because of what the stats say.

Its not just stats. Its also your beloved "eye test."

He isn't accurate.

He is the third least accurate SEC qb. That is literally a fact.

If you're gonna give one credit to receivers that drop passes you've got to give the other credit too, that's how it works. As for the Ky game, we were down 13-0 on the road and not effective at all in converting 3rd downs or points behind a true Fr at QB, not ideal and certainly not the time to see if the true Fr could come back and win the game in that environment. The change to go with a veteran to spark the team at QB was an easy call and I thought ended the debate over who our best option to win with was.
We were down 13-0 because the defense couldn’t get off the field. Their first drive was 10+ min long. A true freshman qb that hasn’t taken a snap in nearly a month was starting and went 3 and out. The punt was blocked and once again the defense gave up a td on a short field. There’s your 13 points. To suggest that he couldn’t bring us back from that deficit once the defense started playing better is ridiculous. The man has a point..... you say he was the least “accurate” because that’s what the stats say. Yet that was the worst he’s looked all season and without drops would’ve had an 11 completion QUARTER! Simply put.... you and K-town need to rewatch the damn games!

Reactions: krbster
Its not just stats. Its also your beloved "eye test."

He isn't accurate.

He is the third least accurate SEC qb. That is literally a fact.
If it was also the “eye test” you’d have more than just Pulaski backing you. You guys think that SIMPLY because that’s what the stat line reads. If it were anything more you’d have no choice but have a different position.

If it was also the “eye test” you’d have more than just Pulaski backing you. You guys think that SIMPLY because that’s what the stat line reads. If it were anything more you’d have no choice but have a different position.
Many do. You just have four or five very vocal idiots backing you.

The site yall have been using has a stat for passes thrown accurately regardless of outcome. BM is the third worst in the conference. He is inaccurate. It is literally a fact that can not be disputed.

Many do. You just have four or five very vocal idiots backing you.

The site yall have been using has a stat for passes thrown accurately regardless of outcome. BM is the third worst in the conference. He is inaccurate. It is literally a fact that can not be disputed.
Whatever man..... I guess I don’t know what I’m doing after all because the stats say so

Whatever man..... I guess I don’t know what I’m doing after all because the stats say so
You finally made an honest statement. If you think he is accurate then you obviously need to find a new line of work since you are a "qb expert."

Eyes and numbers don't lie.

Every metric available says BM is one of the least accurate and most turnover prone qbs. Its a fact.

He is just a freshman though. Just accept that he is a freshman who played like one. He could possibly be what you claim he is one day. Not close right now.

You finally made an honest statement. If you think he is accurate then you obviously need to find a new line of work since you are a "qb expert."

Eyes and numbers don't lie.

Every metric available says BM is one of the least accurate and most turnover prone qbs. Its a fact.

He is just a freshman though. Just accept that he is a freshman who played like one. He could possibly be what you claim he is one day. Not close right now.
Fromm must suck..... his receiver dropped his first pass.

VN Store

Back