Our QB room will be the best in the SEC

Yes. I understand EXACTLY how recruiting works... and how coaching works. Yes. Both were recruited with the promise of having a fair shot at being the starting QB. Absolutely. If you start lying about that and make promises that a recruit WILL be the starter... then you turn into Butch Jones and can never be trusted. Once you have that reputation... no one will want to play for you.

You may think HB has a physical advantage. I'll have to see it first. But even if he does it wouldn't be the first or last time that the guy with the moxie and a football mind beat out a better physical athlete.

In spurts, BM has shown the type of talent and skill that can make him the starter. He has to gain experience and development. He definitely has to eliminate mistakes.
And neither BM, JT or HB should be yanked after every little mistake.

I don't get it sometimes. That is just as bad as "The Never JG" crowd you bemoan.

I really hope HB turns out to be the 2nd coming, but BM is a bird in hand for comparison sake at this point.

Am I the only one that thinks we're gonna need both JG & BM next year?

All this talk about where the spark before GA came from is subjective hearsay at best if we're going by reports of a team meeting.

I'll say BM certainly passed the 'eye test', sparking a scoring drive against Florida when we were for all intensive purposes dead in the water.

He came out with moxie against Georgia, Miss St, & AL. I'll trust the refreshing energy I saw the team play with and Maurer's moxie I saw with my own eyes over reports of a team meeting.

What a quagmire. Then I saw JG come out looking better and more consistent than I've previously seen him display against USCe, Kentucky, & Mizzou.

Why do I trust BM's spark in lieu of his mediocre stat line as a true freshman? The same reason I(and countless others) thought Dobbs showed a spark, 'it factor', moxie...his true freshman year.

Dobbs 2013
5 games (4 started)
72-of-121 passes for 695 yards with two touchdowns and six interceptions and also rushed for 189 yards and a touchdown in his true freshman season

Brian Maurer 2019
6 games (4 started)
31-74 passes for 524 yards with 2 touchdowns and 5 interceptions and also rushed 22 times for 48 yards with 2 TD's so far in his true freshman season.

Our QB room seems like a much better version of our QB's dilemma going into 2014.

If I'm Pruitt I announce the starting QB is undecided all through spring & fall camp. Then a few days before our opener, I announce that BM & JG are splitting halves the first game of the season. Neither has shown to be the clear cut #1 going into next season IMHO.

Unless HB is the almost mythical true freshman savant that's so good you have to start him (Hooray If So!!) he should 3rd string it, hopefully preserve his redshirt.
Great post but do not automatically dismiss HB as a freshman. He may show out immediately if as good as advertised.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
And neither BM, JT or HB should be yanked after every little mistake.
I don't think they were. BM and JT need to gain experience and be coached up to manage the O well. BM appears to be ahead of JT but passing aside... JG has the advantage in that category. If he doesn't hurt you too much throwing it like he did early and manages the O like he's capable of doing... then he offers some advantages.

That isn't a static situation. BM gained some valuable experience and now has a whole off season to work. Chaney called him a "gym rat". So if he learns how to study film and apply it to his game... spring could be more interesting than many think right now.

JT is behind BM as far as understanding the game. He made nice throws but mentally he's not there.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Great post but do not automatically dismiss HB as a freshman. He may show out immediately if as good as advertised.
I won't "dismiss" him... but I am 99.9% certain that both BM and JG are good enough that he's not going to step in and beat both of them out. I've seen his highlights. I think he's talented. I don't see a Heath Shuler or Tyler Bray arm. I see more of an E Ainge arm. I could definitely be wrong but I don't think he has a big physical advantage and he'll be playing catch up to the others.

I don't think they were. BM and JT need to gain experience and be coached up to manage the O well. BM appears to be ahead of JT but passing aside... JG has the advantage in that category. If he doesn't hurt you too much throwing it like he did early and manages the O like he's capable of doing... then he offers some advantages.

That isn't a static situation. BM gained some valuable experience and now has a whole off season to work. Chaney called him a "gym rat". So if he learns how to study film and apply it to his game... spring could be more interesting than many think right now.

JT is behind BM as far as understanding the game. He made nice throws but mentally he's not there.
JT was yanked in one game he started after an end zone incompletion and BM was yanked right after the one play that Calloway was rocked.

JT was yanked in one game he started after an end zone incompletion and BM was yanked right after the one play that Calloway was rocked.
I don't think anyone including JG has been "yanked" for one play.

JT according to coaching comments was just making too many mistakes with management of the O. BM wasn't playing well. I think both Pruitt and Chaney said after that he was not making good decisions particularly on RPO's.

When Maurer played well, he was MUCH better than JG at RPO's. They seem to avoid RPO's with JG... possibly because his delivery is too long.

At least you see the path I've laid out and sounds like it's starting to set in with you that it could absolutely happen exactly as I've said. Everyone here thought JG was so bad that there is no way he would stay or hold onto the starting job but in the end he showed he's talented enough to be successful in the SEC and because of how he finished he's going to get a bunch of good press in the offseason and I think coaches will consider the QB position a strength going into next season as opposed to a question mark. If JG were to leave then our QB position will have lots of question marks going into next year. I also believe the only way BM stays is if JG in not on the roster in the spring. I don't know BM so all of this is my opinion only, maybe he'll prove me wrong, stick it out and win the position over a 3 year starter and blue chip QB recruit.
It could easily happen for any of the 3 tbh. Never denied that in the least. But the truth is JGs biggest threat is BM. HBs biggest threat is BM. And BMs biggest threat is himself. Now I’ve never been one to say that JG sucks. Those words will never come out of my mouth but I will say he’s no BM. He didn’t EARN the job back. He was the best option due to injury so let’s get that straight. He performed well vs Mizzou and not so great vs Vandy. So I wouldn’t bank on the good press unless he shows out in the bowl game. If he has another bad day in the bowl I personally think the narrative on him changes as fast as we turn on our own qbs.

O
I don't think anyone including JG has been "yanked" for one play.

JT according to coaching comments was just making too many mistakes with management of the O. BM wasn't playing well. I think both Pruitt and Chaney said after that he was not making good decisions particularly on RPO's.

When Maurer played well, he was MUCH better than JG at RPO's. They seem to avoid RPO's with JG... possibly because his delivery is too long.
JT was pulled after the one series and one incompletion at the start of one game. BM was pulled after one play in the pass to Calloway. I agree with all your posts in this thread with the exception of the two instances noted above. My main disagreements are with PulaskiVol in this thread.

O

JT was pulled after the one series and one incompletion at the start of one game. BM was pulled after one play in the pass to Calloway. I agree with all your posts in this thread with the exception of the two instances noted above. My main disagreements are with PulaskiVol in this thread.
Yes... but my point is that those particular plays weren't the reason they were pulled.

If you want to argue with these guys... my advice is stick to the facts and don't overplay your hand. It only helps them when you do.

Yes... but my point is that those particular plays weren't the reason they were pulled.

If you want to argue with these guys... my advice is stick to the facts and don't overplay your hand. It only helps them when you do.
I believe they were yanked for those plays, IMO. BTW you have made excellent posts on this thread.

I believe they were yanked for those plays, IMO. BTW you have made excellent posts on this thread.
If they were... Chaney would be walking right now. I don't think that's the way Pruitt works but am sure that Chaney is straight up with his guys. I do however think that pulling JT may have been the plan all along. They did not trust him to manage the O. That's a big deal.

Pruitt has been more open about QB's than most coaches. I believe he was truthful about JG when he benched him. I think he has been truthful about the other guys too.

Nothing to get jacked up over. They're both young players. Every mistake they made is an opportunity to become a much better player.

JG isn't young. His mistakes and weaknesses are much more a reflection of who he is as a player. The learning curve for college players is an exponential curve. It is steep at the front then flattens at the top. BM and JT are still on the steep part of the curve. Their improvements can come quickly. JG is at the top of his curve. Improvements in his actual game are likely to be incremental.

JG's confidence flip is still pretty incredible to me. The coaches did a good job IMO. And for the 3 guys to support each other like they do... that's a great testimony to all of them. This could have been a WRECK.

PS- I hope you know I'm just "talking" to you and not arguing at you. You're doing a good job holding your own too.

In this era of RPO, all teams need more than one quarterback. QB’s are more exposed than ever. I think the future will bring, QB’s buying the old adage “you’re one snap away from being the starter” and being less likely to transfer. What if Jalen Hurts had stayed at Bama? He would’ve been the savior again this year. Tennessee destroyed Bama’s season by wounding Tua, Jalen would have been a nice insurance policy.

I'll call that a win win if HB can take the starting job.

Would make these epic JG/Maurer/Shrout threads kinda for naught, lol.

I mean if a true freshman displaces a 5th year SR & a 2nd year QB who had displayed upside because HB's objectively displayed he's that good; we're in a win win situation.

Heath Shuler didn't fully beat out Jerry Colquitt until the 3rd or 4th game of their sophomore year. I wonder how it would have played out had Shuler been a year behind Colquitt in the program? Didn't they sign the same year?

I just think it's very unlikely HB can progress that quickly. By saying HB should be 3rd or redshirted, I was saying we should be stable enough at QB to hold off utilizing him until some Oct & Nov games. HB might very well then take off with the QB spot and not look back. Tua didn't start until the playoffs and Trevor Lawrence didn't start until the 5th game of the year. Even if HB's the real deal, feeding him to FL the second game of the season sounds brutal.

Don`t know how you can say that. We have three QB s with almost no experience and a tree year starter that is inconsistent. I think it will be the same next year.

I'll call that a win win if HB can take the starting job.

Would make these epic JG/Maurer/Shrout threads kinda for naught, lol.

I mean if a true freshman displaces a 5th year SR & a 2nd year QB who had displayed upside because HB's objectively displayed he's that good; we're in a win win situation.

Heath Shuler didn't fully beat out Jerry Colquitt until the 3rd or 4th game of their sophomore year. I wonder how it would have played out had Shuler been a year behind Colquitt in the program? Didn't they sign the same year?

I just think it's very unlikely HB can progress that quickly. By saying HB should be 3rd or redshirted, I was saying we should be stable enough at QB to hold off utilizing him until some Oct & Nov games. HB might very well then take off with the QB spot and not look back. Tua didn't start until the playoffs and Trevor Lawrence didn't start until the 5th game of the year. Even if HB's the real deal, feeding him to FL the second game of the season sounds brutal.
I'm pretty sure they did... and Colquitt was a really good player. Pity what happened to him.

Don`t know how you can say that. We have three QB s with almost no experience and a tree year starter that is inconsistent. I think it will be the same next year.
Maurer has more experience than most true Fr. Most don't see the field much less start.

I think it is reasonable to assume that Maurer and JT will improve fairly significantly over the off-season. If JG plays with the confidence he showed vs Mizzou then he'll be the starter and should perform good enough.

I don't know how folks can have so much confidence in a HS player who may or may not ever be good at the college level.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Maurer has more experience than most true Fr. Most don't see the field much less start.

I think it is reasonable to assume that Maurer and JT will improve fairly significantly over the off-season. If JG plays with the confidence he showed vs Mizzou then he'll be the starter and should perform good enough.

I don't know how folks can have so much confidence in a HS player who may or may not ever be good at the college level.
Ranking......nothing more. And from a 30% accurate “service”.

Reactions: whodeycin85
I believe Colquitt should have been given a 6th year but was denied by the NCAA. I believe he had a close death in the family soon after that so it was tough times for him that year.
Didn’t that happen on like his first offensive play or something?

@PulaskiVolFan i come at you with comparable stats of both players in the same games and you change the topic...let me try another way

Your a baseball coach correct? Do you pull your starting pitcher after he walks one batter? Or do you let him pitch his way out?

Yes it was early. Definitely the first half and Todd Helton was 2nd on the depth chart with two freshman including Manning on the roster.
I remember the interview with his dad at halftime. He was tearing up and hard to watch. It reminded me of the scene in “Friday Night Lights” just after Boobie Miles walked out from cleaning out his locker.

I remember the interview with his dad at halftime. He was tearing up and hard to watch. It reminded me of the scene in “Friday Night Lights” just after Boobie Miles walked out from cleaning out his locker.
You got real emotional that day huh? Lmao

VN Store

Back