Our QB room will be the best in the SEC

And I asked you a year ago to point out one thing that makes Bailey more talented and I’m still awaiting that answer. And btw.... In response to you accusing me of only being here to promote one player, have you ever responded to my threads/posts in defense of JG?

See.... you think that because you’re too busy creating lies about Maurer that the only conversation we ever have is about him. I’ve openly admitted that I like talking football. That’s why I’m here. You won’t see me respond to many defensive positions because I’m an offensive mind. I have the highest passion for qbs. There’s a reason for that. So you’ll usually find me responding to any threats qb related. So please tell me.....does it seem like I’m hiding?
Respond then, will BM stick it out and compete with JG and Bailey or will he transfer out? Will BM ever be named starting QB at the University of Tn to start out a season? I say no, what do you say?

I'm pretty sure everyone heard those same things, you just like to act like they never happened. It doesn't really matter, I told you a year ago that Maurer would never be the Vols QB once HB got here and if JG returns and HB is as good as advertised that's exactly what's going to happen, no matter what BMs potential is.
I don't get it sometimes. That is just as bad as "The Never JG" crowd you bemoan.

I really hope HB turns out to be the 2nd coming, but BM is a bird in hand for comparison sake at this point.

Am I the only one that thinks we're gonna need both JG & BM next year?

All this talk about where the spark before GA came from is subjective hearsay at best if we're going by reports of a team meeting.

I'll say BM certainly passed the 'eye test', sparking a scoring drive against Florida when we were for all intensive purposes dead in the water.

He came out with moxie against Georgia, Miss St, & AL. I'll trust the refreshing energy I saw the team play with and Maurer's moxie I saw with my own eyes over reports of a team meeting.

What a quagmire. Then I saw JG come out looking better and more consistent than I've previously seen him display against USCe, Kentucky, & Mizzou.

Why do I trust BM's spark in lieu of his mediocre stat line as a true freshman? The same reason I(and countless others) thought Dobbs showed a spark, 'it factor', moxie...his true freshman year.

Dobbs 2013
5 games (4 started)
72-of-121 passes for 695 yards with two touchdowns and six interceptions and also rushed for 189 yards and a touchdown in his true freshman season

Brian Maurer 2019
6 games (4 started)
31-74 passes for 524 yards with 2 touchdowns and 5 interceptions and also rushed 22 times for 48 yards with 2 TD's so far in his true freshman season.

Our QB room seems like a much better version of our QB's dilemma going into 2014.

If I'm Pruitt I announce the starting QB is undecided all through spring & fall camp. Then a few days before our opener, I announce that BM & JG are splitting halves the first game of the season. Neither has shown to be the clear cut #1 going into next season IMHO.

Unless HB is the almost mythical true freshman savant that's so good you have to start him (Hooray If So!!) he should 3rd string it, hopefully preserve his redshirt.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Good post. Pulaskiot will undoubtedly throw some stats at you to try to convince you that no, Maurer did NOT pass the eye test, did NOT show moxie, did NOT exhibit any 'it factor'.

No, no and once more NO!

And didn't you hear? Jarette had 400 yards in a single game once.

I don't get it sometimes. That is just as bad as "The Never JG" crowd you bemoan.

I really hope HB turns out to be the 2nd coming, but BM is a bird in hand for comparison sake at this point.

Am I the only one that thinks we're gonna need both JG & BM next year?

All this talk about where the spark before GA came from is subjective hearsay at best if we're going by reports of a team meeting.

I'll say BM certainly passed the 'eye test', sparking a scoring drive against Florida when we were for all intensive purposes dead in the water.

He came out with moxie against Georgia, Miss St, & AL. I'll trust the refreshing energy I saw the team play with and Maurer's moxie I saw with my own eyes over reports of a team meeting.

What a quagmire. Then I saw JG come out looking better and more consistent than I've previously seen him display against USCe, Kentucky, & Mizzou.

Why do I trust BM's spark in lieu of his mediocre stat line as a true freshman? The same reason I(and countless others) thought Dobbs showed a spark, 'it factor', moxie...his true freshman year.

Dobbs 2013
5 games (4 started)
72-of-121 passes for 695 yards with two touchdowns and six interceptions and also rushed for 189 yards and a touchdown in his true freshman season

Brian Maurer 2019
6 games (4 started)
31-74 passes for 524 yards with 2 touchdowns and 5 interceptions and also rushed 22 times for 48 yards with 2 TD's so far in his true freshman season.

Our QB room seems like a much better version of our QB's dilemma going into 2014.

If I'm Pruitt I announce the starting QB is undecided all through spring & fall camp. Then a few days before our opener, I announce that BM & JG are splitting halves the first game of the season. Neither has shown to be the clear cut #1 going into next season IMHO.

Unless HB is the almost mythical true freshman savant that's so good you have to start him (Hooray If So!!) he should 3rd string it, hopefully preserve his redshirt.
No problem with any of that. My response has always been that BM would be the QB that got pinched. There is zero chance that Bailey is going to come here and sit the bench for the next 3 years, why would he when he could probably pick whatever school he'd like to attend? I contend that the ONLY way BM is ever our starting QB again is if Bailey never arrives on campus or JG does not return. Someone has to go or sit the bench the next 3 years between Bailey and Maurer. It's unfortunate for the player that gets left out but it's going to happen to either BM or Bailey, I just happen to believe it'll be Maurer losing out is all. Doesn't mean I don't like the guy, it just means he's at the right place at the wrong time.

Respond then, will BM stick it out and compete with JG and Bailey or will he transfer out? Will BM ever be named starting QB at the University of Tn to start out a season? I say no, what do you say?
I’m truthfully not sure. On any of it. I know Pruitt made the comment in the spring “if you’ve been around this program for the last few months there’s no question who the best QBs is, and it’s not even close”. Then he had no choice but to let people see for themselves and egg ran down his face. Through it all he still stuck to his word. And I agree in many ways JG is better. He’s more experienced and the game has slowed as much as it’s going to slow for him. Does that mean he’s the best or most talented? Not even close. It just means he’s better with reads than a true freshman. But when talking BM vs HB, I feel like the only chance for HB is strictly mental because physical talent is the same from inside the pocket. Outside the pocket that competition isn’t even in the same time zone. BM also has the stronger arm and is actually more accurate short and intermediate. If the offensive coordinator were picking his own players my bet would be yes. If Pruitt is picking..... I love Pruitt but his qb evaluation has left a lot to be desired imo. So my bet would only be maybe.

Once again not a single player has ever mentioned that Maurer was the spark and i believe Juan Jennings would laugh in your face if you even suggested it to him.
It was obvious there was a spark when Maurer appeared in the game and made several passes/completions and ran for positive first downs we had not seen in a long time. IDC if the players did not mention Maurer as the catalyst. It was obvious he was a spark to anyone watching the game. Night and Day difference regarding the energy level.

Reactions: 1vol8
It was obvious there was a spark when Maurer appeared in the game and made several passes/completions and ran for positive first downs we had not seen in a long time. IDC if the players did not mention Maurer as the catalyst. It was obvious he was a spark to anyone watching the game. Night and Day difference regarding the energy level.
Without a doubt.

You have a bias. Maybe Maurer plowed your old lady or something. But something's up.
You don't comprehend reading very well then. If you know how recruiting works how can you possibly believe that Bailey is going to come to Knoxville to sit the bench behind Maurer for the next 3 years? How can you believe that BM is willing to sit the bench behind both JG and Bailey the next 3 years? I don't think either Bailey or Maurer are interested in sitting the bench, I've picked Maurer as the one that will lose out, do you see it differently?

I say he might. It could be any of the five (including Hill) if we keep that many on the roster. The Qb competition in the spring should be 100% open and not tilted toward any one Qb. Whoever emerges as the most consistent player by the end of fall practice should be the starter.

Last edited:
I’m truthfully not sure. On any of it. I know Pruitt made the comment in the spring “if you’ve been around this program for the last few months there’s no question who the best QBs is, and it’s not even close”. Then he had no choice but to let people see for themselves and egg ran down his face. Through it all he still stuck to his word. And I agree in many ways JG is better. He’s more experienced and the game has slowed as much as it’s going to slow for him. Does that mean he’s the best or most talented? Not even close. It just means he’s better with reads than a true freshman. But when talking BM vs HB, I feel like the only chance for HB is strictly mental because physical talent is the same from inside the pocket. Outside the pocket that competition isn’t even in the same time zone. BM also has the stronger arm and is actually more accurate short and intermediate. If the offensive coordinator were picking his own players my bet would be yes. If Pruitt is picking..... I love Pruitt but his qb evaluation has left a lot to be desired imo. So my bet would only be maybe.
At least you see the path I've laid out and sounds like it's starting to set in with you that it could absolutely happen exactly as I've said. Everyone here thought JG was so bad that there is no way he would stay or hold onto the starting job but in the end he showed he's talented enough to be successful in the SEC and because of how he finished he's going to get a bunch of good press in the offseason and I think coaches will consider the QB position a strength going into next season as opposed to a question mark. If JG were to leave then our QB position will have lots of question marks going into next year. I also believe the only way BM stays is if JG in not on the roster in the spring. I don't know BM so all of this is my opinion only, maybe he'll prove me wrong, stick it out and win the position over a 3 year starter and blue chip QB recruit.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I don't have a bias against BM.
Yes you do. You've done everything you can to twist a justification against him.

My thoughts are that he has talent but has always been in a bad situation between JG and HB.
He isn't "behind" HB and had he not been dropped on top of his head... he might not be behind JG right now.
You can't seem to be able to handle that train of thought.
There is no "train of thought" there. There is your conclusion looking for a justification... and you'll spin til you have one.

You also predicted that JG would never see the field again once they let Maurer start, that hasn't panned out either.
You have me confused with someone else. I did not make that prediction. I said I did not think JG could turn it around. He's had a few games that indicate he might be able to. It took about 20 games to convince me that he probably wasn't going to get his head straight. It will take more than 2 1/2 to convince me he has. Good progress... but nowhere near being "proven"

Keep talking about his big throws in HS though, it's certainly entertaining. Why haven't you commented on the one stat Maurer leads the SEC in?
Now I know you have me confused with someone else. I haven't talked about Maurer's big throws in HS. They don't greatly interest me.

As for Maurer leading in a "stat"... how many true Fr do? How many did JG lead in as a RS Fr?

For what very little it is worth considering Maurer DOES have a lot of weaknesses still in his game...

Maurer is 2nd behind Tua in yds per completion.... 1st in average depth of target... 2nd in the number of dropped passes... and 6th fastest getting the ball out. He's also near the bottom in some other relatively obscure stats. But then again... he isn't a RS Jr. He's a Fr who was asked to play too soon. He had 3 very good games and a bad one plus some bad numbers in trash time.

At least you see the path I've laid out and sounds like it's starting to set in with you that it could absolutely happen exactly as I've said. Everyone here thought JG was so bad that there is no way he would stay or hold onto the starting job but in the end he showed he's talented enough to be successful in the SEC and because of how he finished he's going to get a bunch of good press in the offseason and I think coaches will consider the QB position a strength going into next season as opposed to a question mark. If JG were to leave then our QB position will have lots of question marks going into next year. I also believe the only way BM stays is if JG in not on the roster in the spring. I don't know BM so all of this is my opinion only, maybe he'll prove me wrong, stick it out and win the position over a 3 year starter and blue chip QB recruit.
You don't comprehend reading very well then. If you know how recruiting works how can you possibly believe that Bailey is going to come to Knoxville to sit the bench behind Maurer for the next 3 years? How can you believe that BM is willing to sit the bench behind both JG and Bailey the next 3 years? I don't think either Bailey or Maurer are interested in sitting the bench, I've picked Maurer as the one that will lose out, do you see it differently?
Many feel that JT may be the odd man out if Pruitt wants to reduce the Qb scholarships and If Hill is given one. I personally believe Shrout looked better than anyone is his 1/2 half game of getting significant snaps. He even looked better than JG’s Missouri game performance.

Reactions: rikberry31
I say he might. It could be any of the five (including Hill) if we keep that many in the roster. The Qb competition in the spring should be 100% open and not tilted toward any one Qb. Whoever emerges as the most consistent player by the end of fall practice should be the starter.
That's not how it works and you know it. Any position other than QB then yes but much more goes into playing QB than any other position thus experience often means more than potential. Ask Alabama how many championships going with potential produced them.

How exactly is that hatred? Do you not understand how recruiting works? Do you think both BM and HB were both recruited to be the starting QB here?
Yes. I understand EXACTLY how recruiting works... and how coaching works. Yes. Both were recruited with the promise of having a fair shot at being the starting QB. Absolutely. If you start lying about that and make promises that a recruit WILL be the starter... then you turn into Butch Jones and can never be trusted. Once you have that reputation... no one will want to play for you.

You may think HB has a physical advantage. I'll have to see it first. But even if he does it wouldn't be the first or last time that the guy with the moxie and a football mind beat out a better physical athlete.

In spurts, BM has shown the type of talent and skill that can make him the starter. He has to gain experience and development. He definitely has to eliminate mistakes.

That's not how it works and you know it. Any position other than QB then yes but much more goes into playing QB than any other position thus experience often means more than potential. Ask Alabama how many championships going with potential produced them.
It is how it should work and some players are born with the intangible in real games by making plays in a consistent basis when it is tough going(Montana, Staubach, Brady). Prior experience can be overrated, you have to look at the specific player’s mentality. Has JG showed he can make plays game in and game out consistently? After three years the answer is a resounding “NO”. Will he next year ? , maybe but his track record is not good. Regarding the last question , I know of one and it was Tua in the NC game his freshman year.

VN Store

Back