Oklahoma and Texas have reached out to join the SEC (allegedly)

The ACC elitist attitude will never accept adding WVU.

Plus West Virginia's population has been relatively the same for the past 80 years so not a growing TV market.
To get to 16 the ACC only has WVU, UConn. And Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St. WVU for all its faults is no different than them taking Louisville or Pitt

I predicted 10 years ago, we were headed to 4 super conferences of 20 teams each. would allow for more "playoff" teams..

Each conference would have 4 divisions of 5 teams each.

Each division winner would be in playoff to determine the 4 conference champions which would make up the final 4 playoff for the over all Champion.

Of course the same format would work with 4 conferences of 16 teams each.

You'd have to think 4 super conferences are the end goal here. My questions would be:

Are we looking at four conferences of 16? 20? If we end up at 20, I think you end up with a division format like you mentioned above. It's the only way to make scheduling make sense really.
What happens to the rest of the schools that don't make the cut? Do they quit playing football? Are some of the smaller schools that support football funded by the current NCAA model? It costs a ton of money to operate football. I'm not sure if small schools turn a profit without profit sharing. Is that the case?
Could the SEC look to cut Vandy at some point?
Where do our other 4 teams come from? Somebody mentioned in another post it cost a ton to pull a team from the ACC, and I really think they'll be one of the power conferences.

Just for fun: I'll do a hypothetical 4 super conferences with divisions. Assuming we will not pull from the ACC, I included Memphis, UCF, West Virginia, and OK ST as the teams coming to the SEC. I think they'll all want to jump in and play with the big boys.

SEC

West
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
OK ST
Missouri

Midwest
Arkansas
LSU
Ole Miss
Miss St.
Memphis

Southern
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Florida
UCF

Northern
Kentucky
West Virginia
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
South Carolina

Full disclosure, I know the SEC won't make that Southern conference happen, but hey this is my world so I made it favorable for UT.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
This is a attention grab folks ..When they pull your attention to the left it usually means there is something on the right they don't want you to see..

Reactions: HalfullVol
You are either a SEC school or you are not. Time for UT to decide what our future will be. If it is the administration’s desire to remain mediocre then I am sure there are mid-level athletic conferences out there that can meet our needs.

sadly our time in the SEC has passed

the ACC is our next move so the administrators get their wish of UTK becoming seen as more of an elitist, academic institution and

sports as just a side piece :p

If, as it appears, the NCAA powers will align in 4 mega conferences, how long until they're called The South, The East, The North, and The West?

Traditions have to start (and end) somewhere..... but damn......

If the SEC added OK and TX, then UT would have a damn hard time being relevant again. Alabama and Auburn would come to the east, Mizzou would go to west.

I disagree. All we need is competent coaching and commitment from the administration to get back to competing for championships.

This is going to happen. I was watching the SEC Network this morning and the biggest concern is NOT doing it. Texas and OU are leaving the Big 12 - it's over. That conference is dying. If Texas and OU move to the Big10, the landscape of college football supremacy shifts. There's too much at stake to turn our noses and say "thanks, but no thanks". This is bigger than football scheduling, division alignment.

Don't discount the value of bringing two powerhouse athletic programs (not just football) to our conference. The SEC cannot be content with being the best for now. They are thinking long term. This will happen.

A conference championship will be a once every 25 years event. Hell, we were on that path before adding in more competition.

Both Bama teams would go East and TX and Ok would stay in the West and the East would be the stronger conference again. Tennessee already plays Bama every year so it wouldn’t hurt them as much as it would other teams.

Although I’d love the idea of four divisions I do believe this is the most likely scenario.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
To get to 16 the ACC only has WVU, UConn. And Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St. WVU for all its faults is no different than them taking Louisville or Pitt
Pittsburgh metro area has over half a million greater population than the entire state of WV.

Temple would be a far better fit than WVU and brings an area with more than twice the population of all of WV. Also a better fit academically, geographically.

You'd have to think 4 super conferences are the end goal here. My questions would be:

Are we looking at four conferences of 16? 20? If we end up at 20, I think you end up with a division format like you mentioned above. It's the only way to make scheduling make sense really.
What happens to the rest of the schools that don't make the cut? Do they quit playing football? Are some of the smaller schools that support football funded by the current NCAA model? It costs a ton of money to operate football. I'm not sure if small schools turn a profit without profit sharing. Is that the case?
Could the SEC look to cut Vandy at some point?
Where do our other 4 teams come from? Somebody mentioned in another post it cost a ton to pull a team from the ACC, and I really think they'll be one of the power conferences.

Just for fun: I'll do a hypothetical 4 super conferences with divisions. Assuming we will not pull from the ACC, I included Memphis, UCF, West Virginia, and OK ST as the teams coming to the SEC. I think they'll all want to jump in and play with the big boys.

SEC

West
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
OK ST
Missouri

Midwest
Arkansas
LSU
Ole Miss
Miss St.
Memphis

Southern
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Florida
UCF

Northern
Kentucky
West Virginia
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
South Carolina

Full disclosure, I know the SEC won't make that Southern conference happen, but hey this is my world so I made it favorable for UT.

most athletic departments lose money.. I would have to research but feel confident Vanderbilt loses money every year. The non P5 conference schools mostly lose money. Revenue sharing happens at the conference level because conferences establish the TV contracts, not the NCAA.

Don't see Vanderbilt getting run out of SEC.

My thoughts years ago was 4 divisions with 5 schools each to make up 20 team conferences. My thoughts then were Big 10 (14 schools), ACC (14 schools), PAC 10 (12 schools) and SEC (14 schools) would be the 4 conferences.

When you look at the Big 12 (10 schools) and the AAC conference (10 schools) there are 20 that could be added to round out the big 4. You add schools like Boise St, BYU, Notre Dame, Fresno St, San Diego St.. etc.. you can get to 20...

But, you don't have to do 20. 16 could work at 4 divisions.

My thoughts have also been, you eliminate the OOC games. Playing an SEC schedule is all you want and would not want big time schools (Clemson, Ohio St, etc) on your schedule. With a 16 team playoff, you might go back to 10 conference games like the SEC did last year. Could still do 12 but might not.

If Texas and Oklahoma end up here in the next few weeks, then look for the Big 12 schools to quickly be grabbed by Pac 12 and Big 10. West Virginia might go ACC along with Notre Dame.

Just some rambling thoughts.

4-Team pods should be done alphabetically:

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Florida

Georgia
Kentucky
LSU
Mississippi

Mississippi State
Missouri
Oklahoma
South Carolina

Tennessee
Texas
Texas A&M
Vanderbilt

Reactions: 508mikey
Pittsburgh metro area has over half a million greater population than the entire state of WV.

Temple would be a far better fit than WVU and brings an area with more than twice the population of all of WV. Also a better fit academically, geographically.
You underestimate WVU in comparison to Temple who was once kicked out of the BEC for not bringing anything to table

This has ESPN written all over it. They just got SEC GOTW starting in 2024 to go along with SECNW. Big 12 TV deal expires 2025. The Longhorn Network is losing money.

So what do you do? You shelter your biggest single team (Texas) in the conference that is making you money hand over fist. You snag Oklahoma, another great brand, to keep the from going to Big 10 or staying in Big 12 (ie Fox sports conferences), increase TV money for conference and teams involved.

Live sports, SEC football in particular, is the thing making ESPN money. This is about protecting their network.

Reactions: b_gann

VN Store

Back