Oklahoma and Texas have reached out to join the SEC (allegedly)

The strange thing about his whole deal is that Texas was a prime engine in the unraveling of conferences by wanting to be independent and having their own TV network.

I much preferred the old SEC, the old SW Conference and the old Big Eight Conference configuration.

Know the feeling. I wish I was twenty again, that gas sold for .40 a gallon, that I still had my 67 MGB...

Reactions: murfvol1
Oklahoma and Texas both in west and move Ole Miss and Auburn to the east.

This is the first I’ve heard of this suggestion…but you know, moving Ole Miss to the Eastern division might not be such a bad idea.

I’m not sure Auburn would work, but you might be on to something with the first team you suggested.

For better or for worse, traditions don't matter any more. It's about TV and streaming rights dollars, and you only get that by adding lucrative brands. Texas is a top 3 brand in the country.
Can you imagine the marketing opportunities created if those two came in? New rivalries would quickly emerge and add more excitement.
I’m not necessarily a strong proponent of this but if it happened I’d be okay.

Reactions: volsack
Say goodbye to playing big time OOC games. Those OOC games would have to be against cupcakes

The conference just has to mandate a removal of scheduling games against FCS teams.

There’s already a “play one power 5 team” mandate in place.

Every person wanting this is from somewhere outside the SEC now. It will dilute the rivalries and destroy traditions. The Conference is way too crowded now. Please, let this be a bad dream. It's bad enough we had Ark and A/M enter. ENOUGH
It’s all about the dollar bills now

Would definitely have to spilt into 4 divisions I think.

Texas
Arky
OU
Mizzou

Alabama
Ole Miss
A&M
LSU

Auburn
UGA
Kentucky
MSU

Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Florida
South Carolina

Something like that possibly

Florida probably needs to be with UGA.

4 divisions.
Play all division teams and a rotation of two from each of the other divisions. 9 conferences games in all.

The two highest conference ranked teams play for the SEC title. Tie breakers can be hashed out.

North:
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
South Carolina

East:
Georgia
Auburn
Florida
Alabama

South:
LSU
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Mississippi

West:
Texas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Texas A&M

Likely needs some rebalancing here. That East division is ridiculous and the North division is…pretty much the exact opposite.

There has long been a rumor that Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky and more recently Texas A&M have agreed to band together to block , Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Louisville and Texas from joining the conference.

I have no idea if this is true, but would that be enough votes to block it?

A&M has never really been discussed as being part of that agreement. The rest comes from rumors prior to the SEC’s expansion/addition to a 13th team. But up until today’s expansion story, there’s really not been much to suggest they offered A&M a place in that agreement.

Can you imagine the marketing opportunities created if those two came in? New rivalries would quickly emerge and add more excitement.
I’m not necessarily a strong proponent of this but if it happened I’d be okay.
UT vs UT every year in football would like a bowl game. Also Rick Barnes beating his old team every year until he retires would be must see tv

NIL is pushing all this gotta keep the play field even.
Actually NIL will make the playing field even. If this super conference gets formed, kids will want to play at any SEC school just for the NIL money. Most eyes and best return on investment for businesses

The other team would likely be Alabama. That would be a nightmare for Georgia and Florida, but would even the playing field for the east.

Theoretically, since it’s so close to Memphis and the state border, you could shift Ole Miss to the East. Essentially it’d make two L shapes but it would still maintain a more or less East and West distinction without disrupting too much. (The Egg Bowl could become cross-divisional, it maintains the Ole Miss-Vandy game - they played each other 95 straight years, and dates back to a first game in 1894 - and renews the Tennessee-Ole Miss rivalry game).

The other candidate likely candidate would be Auburn, but I’m not sure teams from both sides of the conference (Alabama in the West, and UGA and UF in the East) would vote yes on it…as it pretty much puts Auburn’s presence more heavily into Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.

It seems to me that this won't add eyeballs for the networks. I don't think there's a fella sitting on his couch in Dallas that'll say, "Hey, Texas is in the SEC now, I think I'll finally watch a game." However, overall it could drive folks away that are more along the lines of being a 'traditionalist'.

Also, Texas' logo is on the wall of every gynocologist's office. So, there's that.

Not necessarily.

4 x 4 would work pretty well.

But 2 x 8 would work, too. In a 9-game conference schedule, that's 7 games in division and 2 rotating games from the 8 teams in the other division. Play every team in the conference at least once every four years. No cross-division rivalries. Which would work pretty well if Alabama and Auburn move East while Mizzou joins Texas and Oklahoma to round out the West.

I'd be equally happy with either model. More chances to "make the conference playoffs" with 4 x 4, but more continuity with past tradition in a 2 x 8 setup.

In the East, yes it - a 2x8 would - but in the West, I’m not sure it exactly would, would it?

Florida probably needs to be with UGA.

Could switch Auburn and Florida perhaps. It's hard to even out 4 divisions and keep everyone with their main rival so to speak. The more I think of it, I'm starting to favor the 8 and 8. As long as it's 9 conference games.

It seems to me that this won't add eyeballs for the networks. I don't think there's a fella sitting on his couch in Dallas that'll say, "Hey, Texas is in the SEC now, I think I'll finally watch a game." However, overall it could drive folks away that are more along the lines of being a 'traditionalist'.

Also, Texas' logo is on the wall of every gynocologist's office. So, there's that.
Texas adds a huge amount of eyeballs. A conference would be insane to not let them in if they wanted it. Especially now w revenue needed to pay players and an expanded playoff.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
Well supposedly A&M, Fla, Ga, SC & Ky have an alliance that they’ll never vote to include any school from these states so it’s put up or shut up on that. If those 5 schools hold, Texas can’t come in.

Considering OU took 3 UT players from LY, I’d hope Tennessee would tell OU to F off too but I’m not holding my breath.

Reactions: onevol74
Well supposedly A&M, Fla, Ga, SC & Ky have an alliance that they’ll never vote to include any school from these states so it’s put up or shut up on that. If those 5 schools hold, Texas can’t come in.
I’ve seen this posted, I don’t know if this is true, and if it is how binding it is. Certainly not legally, and if not where are the people who made this “pact”? Dead? Most important though the college landscape has drastically changed.

Texas adds a huge amount of eyeballs. A conference would be insane to not let them in if they wanted it. Especially now w revenue needed to pay players and an expanded playoff.
I just don't see it. Just because they join the SEC doesn't add viewers overall. Texas fans are going to watch regardless of conference. What difference does it make? I just don't think they're adding fans.

I just don't see it. Just because they join the SEC doesn't add viewers overall. Texas fans are going to watch regardless of conference. What difference does it make? I just don't think they're adding fans.
The SEC (and any conference) wants that viewership

Anyone want to venture a guess about how the divisions would be aligned??

Once again wee little Nicky gets whatever he wants.
9 conference games.
I could see Bama and Auburn coming over to the East and both of those teams staying in the West. I say this because Mississippi, Arkansas and LSU are all west of Bama. Poor Tennessee if that happens lol.

Reactions: Elhanan
It’s happening. Texas and Oklahoma are telling Big XII officials that announcement is forthcoming. They will be leaving after officially announcing they will not re-up with the conference’s contracts and deals

Reactions: VOLnMiami
EAST
Arkansas
Georgia
Florida
Kentucky
Missouri
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

WEST
Alabama
Auburn
LSU
Ole Miss
Miss State
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M

I doubt it...would kill the Big 12.
Also, doesn't Texas have the 'Longhorn Network' deal with ESPN/ABC - sure they would lose money if they walked out of that early.

But let's say for G&G this is true and it happens.
Do we realign the divisions?
If not, does Texas go to the West and OK go to the East?
Seems pretty far to travel for USCe to go to play OK every other year...
If so, do we keep the traditional E/W rivalries like TSIO?
Both Bama teams would go East and TX and Ok would stay in the West and the East would be the stronger conference again. Tennessee already plays Bama every year so it wouldn’t hurt them as much as it would other teams.

VN Store

Back