Oklahoma and Texas have reached out to join the SEC (allegedly)

16 teams would be 4 divisions of 4 teams. Right?
Not necessarily.

4 x 4 would work pretty well.

But 2 x 8 would work, too. In a 9-game conference schedule, that's 7 games in division and 2 rotating games from the 8 teams in the other division. Play every team in the conference at least once every four years. No cross-division rivalries. Which would work pretty well if Alabama and Auburn move East while Mizzou joins Texas and Oklahoma to round out the West.

I'd be equally happy with either model. More chances to "make the conference playoffs" with 4 x 4, but more continuity with past tradition in a 2 x 8 setup.

Reactions: golfballs
This has legs because it’s clear the SEC could get 3-4 playoff teams a year under the new format and they are 4 years away from the Big XII tv contract being done for good
If this happens the SEC will have its own playoff and crown it’s own national champion. Honestly, what else would you have to prove by winning this hypothetical conference?
GBO!!

If this happens the SEC will have its own playoff and crown it’s own national champion. Honestly, what else would you have to prove by winning this hypothetical conference?
GBO!!
We'd be back to the old days of no undisputed national champion. WIthout Clemson and Ohio State in the mix, there would always be naysayers. Heck, even if we pulled in Ohio State and Clemson, then Michigan or Penn State would win the B10 every year and all the Midwestern and Northeastern media outlets would be crowning them national champs.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Best scenario: Texas and OU are trying to leverage the Big 12 for a bigger revenue cut because they're the biggest draws in the conference.

Nightmare scenario: Texas and OU are jostling for position because they have inside information that the NCAA really is closer to collapse than we think.

Anyone want to venture a guess about how the divisions would be aligned??

Once again wee little Nicky gets whatever he wants.
9 conference games.

From a geographical standpoint, seems like Bama and Auburn would be the most likely to move over.

the decision will be made by the Chief Executive Officers of the conference who are either the President or Chancellor of each member school. ADs are only advisors when it comes to these type decisions. Along with the Boosters..
Thanks. Still seems like it would be a far sight from a 90% done deal.

Whats the deal with the "majority vote"?

Thanks. Still seems like it would be a far sight from a 90% done deal.

Whats the deal with the "majority vote"?

it takes 3/4 of the conference members to vote yes for it to happen.. lot of people will be involved in advising Randy (and the other Presidents) on how to vote. That includes the CFOs of each school who will be looking at what this means financially to each member. There will be billions flowing into the SEC coffers for a super league.

JMO

well maybe the bigs will knock each other out the way to let a Tennessee slide in every once in awhile… don’t think I’m gonna care bout these super conferences and with NIL. I do think they have to make it a same playing field with everyone in the conference, I’m talking bout with the players. Minor league NFL

Reactions: CatsQueue
I think I would much prefer the 4 team division situation. Each division winner would make the semis and then the two winners would play in the SECCG.

Kentucky, Vandy, UT, Mizzu

UGA, UF, USCe, MSS

LSU, AU, bama, UM

Arkansas, A&M, OU, Texas

Most of you have had little or no exposure to Longhorn arrogance. When Arkansas joined the SEC, the horns were invited, but declined for the reason they didn't want to be associated with 'inferior institutions'. In the thirty years since, they've been pushing that line. I think it's hilarious to find out that they're crawling on their bellies now, begging to be let in. The only way I would favor letting them in would be if A & M sponsored them. I can assure you that hell will freeze over first.

Bama's, I mean the SEC office's, proposed divisions

Division 1 - Bama, Ole Miss, Miss State, Arkansas, Vandy, UK, South Carolina, Mizzou

Division 2 - Tennessee, Florida, UGA, Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, A&M
If this happens would the SEC not drop divisions and just have a table like the Big 12 has where the top two teams play each other? Seems like that would make more sense than trying to create geographical parity

4 divisions.
Play all division teams and a rotation of two from each of the other divisions. 9 conferences games in all.

The two highest conference ranked teams play for the SEC title. Tie breakers can be hashed out.

North:
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
South Carolina

East:
Georgia
Auburn
Florida
Alabama

South:
LSU
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Mississippi

West:
Texas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Texas A&M

Wouldn't Mizzou be a more logical fit for the North division?

Most of you have had little or no exposure to Longhorn arrogance. When Arkansas joined the SEC, the horns were invited, but declined for the reason they didn't want to be associated with 'inferior institutions'. In the thirty years since, they've been pushing that line. I think it's hilarious to find out that they're crawling on their bellies now, begging to be let in. The only way I would favor letting them in would be if A & M sponsored them. I can assure you that hell will freeze over first.
Texas politics stopped It, not the university.

"Although Texas and Texas A&M were on the SEC’s original expansion wish list, politics made either a non-starter. With Arkansas’ likely departure, the SWC would collapse without its two biggest Texas schools. That was unpalatable to Texas legislators — many of whom were alumni of the other five SWC members — and Texas and A&M were publicly threatened with retaliation if they left."

Previous SEC Expansion: How It Happened In 1990

VN Store

Back