Oklahoma and Texas have reached out to join the SEC (allegedly)

Something tells me that this is a long ways from happening. Too many approvals needed and that could be a long and winding road. If I were west division teams I would vote no.

There has long been a rumor that Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky and more recently Texas A&M have agreed to band together to block , Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Louisville and Texas from joining the conference.

I have no idea if this is true, but would that be enough votes to block it?
I think the bigger issue now is that schools see where the sport is headed and it's becoming an arms race for "properties" or "brands." If the SEC tries to hold to tradition, it will get left behind. Like the old saying goes: "If you aren't innovating, you're dying"

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
So, let me get this straight - the SEC East effectively becomes the SEC Classic and the SEC West morphs into the Big 12 Lite with LSU as the SEC gatekeeper for the Big 12 teams? Making the SEC Championship game an SEC-Big 12 battle?

Think about it. The SEC East would have South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Kentucky. That's basically the SEC right there. It's almost like getting the old SEC back, except there's a play in game with the Big 12 to get to the CFP.
We could give another try to "Legends" and "Leaders"

Reactions: murfvol1
I’m all for the 4X4 but ZERO chance it’s tenn/vandy/Kentucky/Mizzu in one of those.. I would expect you would see the sec officials tier up the schools in 4 groups and then look at them geographically(some what) and split them into 4.. not saying it’s tier 1/2/3/4 for each but they would balance in some way..…

Tenn/UF/USCe/UGA

LSU/A&M/miss st/ ole miss

AL/Au/vandy/Kentucky

Mizzu/arky/Texas/Oklahoma

This way you keep rivalries inside each division plus seems pretty balanced

very person wanting this is from someone outside the SEC now. It will dilute the rivalries and destroy traditions. The Conference is way too crowded now. Please, let this be a bad dream. It's bad enough we had Ark and A/M enter. ENOUGH
For better or for worse, traditions don't matter any more. It's about TV and streaming rights dollars, and you only get that by adding lucrative brands. Texas is a top 3 brand in the country.

Wouldn't Mizzou be a more logical fit for the North division?

Possibly but they are pretty darn far west and are familiar with some of the new expansion teams.

And we can name the divisions something more fitting. I was more thinking about drive times for home and always and some traditional rivalries.

TX, OK & B12 playing games. Super conferences are coming but probably not for another 10 yrs and Id guess we see clear shifts to it in the next 5 yrs. This business about joining the SEC now is probably about the upcoming contract renewal/demands w Fox/ESPN. They, the B12, are on the hook with TV contract until '25. Meaning ESPN/Fox own them. The 'we will not confirm nor deny' response from the B12 was pretty silly, shows how powerless they are. Nothing will happen anytime soon and I'm sure everyone in the B12 knows that. Only a matter of time for that conference to dissolve. ESPN / Fox know this, the decline in viewership is there so what does the B12 do? They have their two star members huff and puff to the media to try and get some leverage.

I’m all for the 4X4 but ZERO chance it’s tenn/vandy/Kentucky/Mizzu in one of those.. I would expect you would see the sec officials tier up the schools in 4 groups and then look at them geographically(some what) and split them into 4.. not saying it’s tier 1/2/3/4 for each but they would balance in some way..…

Tenn/UF/USCe/UGA

LSU/A&M/miss st/ ole miss

AL/Au/vandy/Kentucky

Mizzu/arky/Texas/Oklahoma

This way you keep rivalries inside each division plus seems pretty balanced

Yes. Keep Vanderbilt out of our pod. It isn't fair that we always get stuck with them.

Something to think about is the trickle down effect of consolidation like this. If this eventually leads to ending OOC games, how many athletic departments at small and FCS schools will survive without a couple $1mil+ football games with P5 schools?

Tennessee's condition to allow Texas to join:

Renounce rights to UT name and logo

Easy to see where this goes, from west to east... Texas becomes distinguished as UTw which leaves us becoming the UTe's.

Then we get sued by Utah, so Sankey orders Texas to become UTA (for Austin) and Tennessee become UTK

...and UTC laughs and laughs and laughs!

This has to happen. The Big XII is going to die. It's unavoidable. When their deals with ESPN and Fox expire in 4 years, neither network is going to offer anywhere close to what they want. Even if they become smaller fish in a bigger pond, they will make much more money in the SEC.

Reactions: TrueOrange
I think they are flirting with the idea. But i think the TV rights are the biggest hurdle right now.

I know the SEC is already by far the most top to bottom conference, but it you just go and grab Texas and OU. Like damn, SEC will have half the 12 team playoff field every year probably. Big 12 would be dead in football. Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Okie State, are probably schools that would go to the PAC 12 to form another 16 team conference. Then could see Iowa State and Kansas State heading towards the Big 10 to make it a 16 team conference. Think Kansas, at least in football is the odd team out and would probably drop to a group of 5 team. Then the pressure will be on the ACC to add two teams to become the 4th 16 team conference. My best bet is WVU and UCF (if they can't convince Notre Dame to flat out join) could round it out. The dominos could be massive if this happens.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
Something to think about is the trickle down effect of consolidation like this. If this eventually leads to ending OOC games, how many athletic departments at small and FCS schools will survive without a couple $1mil+ football games with P5 schools?
Unlikely unless they add more conference games. P5 schools need their cupcakes.

VN Store

Back