Next yr starting 5

Cannot imagine Puckett will not be a starter….she was the best freshman player in the SEC imo, and she is so mature already.

nah shawty… u tryna get us to lose. Puckett will be perfectly fine off the bench next year lol

Starters/Bench
PG-Powell/Miles/Eddy
SG-Walker/Wynn/Rennie
SF-Hortson/Tess/Pissott
PF-Jackson/Puckett/Marta
C-Key/Striplin/Sanders

Kellie will not rush Pissott and with the team we will have, hopefully we will have a lot of leads and get to get a lot of time for our reserves during non-conference play.

This lineup is my take if no one leaves and I still think we could add at least one more 5 player

ML,: maybe Horston at SG, Jackson at SF/Wing and Puckett at PF to go along with Powell at PG and Key at C. I would bet money that ends up being the top 5. Just a hunch. Horston and Jackson could even switch roles tbh (interchangeable) and its the same lineup essentially.

ML,: maybe Horston at SG, Jackson at SF/Wing and Puckett at PF to go along with Powell at PG and Key at C. I would bet money that ends up being the top 5. Just a hunch. Horston and Jackson could even switch roles tbh (interchangeable) and its the same lineup essentially.

This is the lineup with Puckett being the only one who could conceivably come off the bench instead.

Reactions: Rooster1
Yes I played basketball and I’m not sure what that has to do with ANYTHING and is usually a question that people pose to make their argument seem a little more superior since they played the sport but you know….go off. Was that sound enough for you?

Now that we’re past that, the primary role of the 2 spot or SHOOTING guard is to what…..shoot! It doesn’t disqualify her but essentially it doesn’t behoove Wynn to play in a position that’s not suited to her strengths. She’s a slasher, with no outside shot whatsoever. Now once she develops that outside shot, the 2 could be a good position for her to play.

Also we can agree to disagree, I think Marta should and could start at the 4 next year and that’s that. I don’t care who we have coming in.

My starting line up has Jackson playing the 3 (Rae’s spot) not the 4! Not that it matters cause I’m not the coach but my starting line up would be

1 - Powell
2 - Horston
3 - Jackson
4- Suarez
5 - Key
You may be right. My gut says Puckett will win the four spot, but I agree JH makes most sense at 2 and Jackson at 3. Just my opinion.

Key, Martinez, Horston, Jackson, Powell , Walker

Puckett, Striplin, Miles, Pissott, Wynn, Suarez, Darby Rennie

That’s a really really good bench. After some observing, I think J.Walker moves over to SG and if she improves her outside shooting that keeps Horston at the 3. Darby plays but it’ll be difficult for her to start in front of multiple options that can provide offense and defense in the backcourt.
Only way Horston moves from the 3 spot to the 2 is if either Puckett, Striplin, or Pissott starts at the stretch 4 with the staff inserting the leading SEC scorer from 2022 Rickea to the wing.
Rickea is the most explosive scorer in the SEC and no other team has a weapon as deadly as a triple threat option (Mid-Range, Post, and Slasher).
Lately, I’ve been having a feeling that Pissott will possibly compete for a starting spot. I think if she adjusts to the speed and physicality of college basketball it’s high likely.
The key will be can Pissott adjust to the game as well as Puckett did her freshman year while earning All-SEC FR honors.
Also, Tennessee is not done yet. Expect another 🍊 top tier talent signing with the LVs!

….errrrr, that last sentence. I wasn’t going to bring that up.
Jordan Walker has done a very good job for the team as point guard. As you know this leadership role is not easy and she will continue this role until someone shows they can handle it better. Even then she will continue to have a big role.

Reactions: mcannon1 and lvocd
I’m sorry but what am I missing with Jordan Walker?! I mean we literally watched her dribble directly into traps or pick her dribble up by the baseline, leading to turnovers, ALL YEAR.
JoJo is a great asset to this team. She’s had to play PG the last two years out of necessity and this season she can slide back into the 2 guard role which will give her much more flexibility offensively. She’s been a great defender as well and she’s tough as nails. Sure , TO’s have been a problem at times, but hell, she’s a gutsy player and I’m glad we have her coming back.

JoJo is a great asset to this team. She’s had to play PG the last two years out of necessity and this season she can slide back into the 2 guard role which will give her much more flexibility offensively. She’s been a great defender as well and she’s tough as nails. Sure , TO’s have been a problem at times, but hell, she’s a gutsy player and I’m glad we have her coming back.

Agreed. Her numbers all improved this year, too, and as a third-year PG in the system, should continue to do so. Her assists per 40 minutes increased from 4.1 to 5.0 and turnovers per 40 decreased from 4.1 to 3.6; her A/TO increased from 1.00 to 1.39 (including an improvement in SEC games of 0.76 last year to 1.11 this year); her assist percentage increased from 17.3% to 22.9%; her turnover percentage decreased from 26.1% to 21.0%.

I believe JoJo will be in the starting lineup, playing the 2. We will see her flourish in this role, scoring over 10 points per game and playing lockdown defense. The LVs will be special this upcoming season. GBO.

Walker does have a history of dribbling into traps, can't deny that. She also has been a very big asset and has improved every year per the stats above. Plus is a great teammate and tough as nails. I love watching her.

Her role next year is the one I'm least worried about bc its been handled perfectly so far. Jordan said she consulted the coaches about coming back and they agreed. I'm sure that included a discussion of what her role would be, and to show that all is well on both sides, Jordan acted as hostess for Powell when she visited. Which Powell said totally reassured her there would be no drama at PG and positively influenced her decision.

I see Walker as next year's Keyen, veteran leader, future coach soaking it all up, as well as valuable role player at both guard positions. Maybe she starts at first while Powell learns the ropes, or maybe starts at 2, maybe comes off bench. But I don't think it matters. She'll get plenty of mins, along with Miles and Wynn in a really nice guard rotation.

agreed. I think the last spot comes down to Puckett or Walker. It's a hard call. Jojo's perimter defense will be critical but Puckett's skill set would actually help Key get loose a lot. Puckett is a scorer which should mean that people can't double team Key as much down low.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
P.S. I can't remember the last time we had this great of a problem. I see Kelly doing platoon-like substitutions, using full court presses regulary, and having them play more in transition. No one can stop Horston or Jackson in transition. They are either going to score or get fouled.

I like. Imagine a lineup of MIles, Powell, Wynn, Horston, Jackson in full court press, running the opponent into the ground as a change of pace to our normal look.

that's a pretty epic press with those players. what is the last team with this much talent from top to bottom? i think it was the draya, izzy, graves, ariel, burdick team

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I see

Powell
Horston
Darby
Jackson
Key

we will have a super quality dupe lineup of

Walker
Wynn/Miles
Pissott/Suarez
Puckett/Suarez
Striplin/additional post

I think Tess will get the starting nod, at least early. She proved herself last season and carved out a spot for herself and her play. I gave her such a hard time the first 10 games or so of the season. She turned a corner with her defense and her shot really came on in SEC play. It became pretty obvious we look better with her on the floor. Right now that is her spot to lose.

Justine has the skillset to win that starting spot from Tess eventually IMO. From what I have seen she can shoot, handle, will post up and rebound. She has size on Tess as well so would present a huge matchup problem. Defensively I think Tess is better at the moment but only for having had two years in Kellie’s system. Justine can be a defensive stopper for us as well.

With some of our forwards it may simply come down to who practiced better that week. Puckett will get her minutes for sure. Depending on who else we bring in players like Suarez and Striplin are really going to have to earn their PT. Something I think they are ready to do.

I see

Powell
Horston
Darby
Jackson
Key

we will have a super quality dupe lineup of

Walker
Wynn/Miles
Pissott/Suarez
Puckett/Suarez
Striplin/additional post

I think Tess will get the starting nod, at least early. She proved herself last season and carved out a spot for herself and her play. I gave her such a hard time the first 10 games or so of the season. She turned a corner with her defense and her shot really came on in SEC play. It became pretty obvious we look better with her on the floor. Right now that is her spot to lose.

Justine has the skillset to win that starting spot from Tess eventually IMO. From what I have seen she can shoot, handle, will post up and rebound. She has size on Tess as well so would present a huge matchup problem. Defensively I think Tess is better at the moment but only for having had two years in Kellie’s system. Justine can be a defensive stopper for us as well.

With some of our forwards it may simply come down to who practiced better that week. Puckett will get her minutes for sure. Depending on who else we bring in players like Suarez and Striplin are really going to have to earn their PT. Something I think they are ready to do.
I agree that Tess made a great showing this past season but I think Jordan W gets the starting nod in the 2 spot. Jordan H will be slotted in the 3 spot. However, Tess still will get close to starter minutes.

I agree that Tess made a great showing this past season but I think Jordan W gets the starting nod in the 2 spot. Jordan H will be slotted in the 3 spot. However, Tess still will get close to starter minutes.

Could see it going that way. Walker and Darby were the two I was going back and forth on. I chose Tess as a starter because I think Walker might truly appreciate a reduced leadership role. A little like Keyen.

Jordan Walker gave us a ton of minutes this season and you could tell it was hard on her body. I think she would be just as effective in about half as many minutes and with a reduced ball handling role her turnovers will almost disappear.

Hard for me to imagine Darby continuing to get more or as many mins as Puckett. IMO Puckett has much higher all around upside. In spite of her improvements, I see Darby as odd woman out on the mins, as well as possibly Striplin espec if we pick up a true post. Marta is hard to factor in since she's such an unknown.

I believe it will be Powell, Walker, Horston, Jackson, Key OR Powell, Horston, Jackson, Puckett and Key. Walker, Miles, Wynn, Pissiot, Striplin big mins off bench. I like the first lineup w Walker @ 2 the best because I like Horston best at 3 or 4, not 2.

That's already a 10 player rotation so 2 others of the current core 12 are unfortunately going to struggle for mins, and that's if we don't pick up anyone else. Hopefully the competition will help more than any discontent will hurt.

My lineup, but we know all will get playing time, and the lineup will always change during the games, Justine is possibly going to get more minutes as time goes on, and Wynn may be added for extra defense.

Powell, Walker, Miles, Edie
Horston, Walker, Wynn
Rickea, Tess, Justine, Rennie
Sara, Striplin, Marta, Justine
Key, Striplin, Marta

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: youcancallmeAl

VN Store

Back