Next yr starting 5

I strongly disagree! Kaiya is one of the most athletically gifted freshman I watched in WBB this season. She’s a flat out athlete! I can live with her lack of shooting prowess as a 1-2 yr SEC athlete! As long as she plays with great energy on both ends of the floor. With her skillset, there’s no doubt in my mind the shooting technique and efficiency will improve between yr 2-3.
Now as for Marta, she could be your preference due to the small sample size during her freshman yr. I hope she does well.
But you mean to tell me you’ve actually watched Rickea Jackson and don’t see her filling the role Alexus Dye just thrived in as a graduate transfer.. and despite the remarkable success Snoop had.. Rickea gives the LVs a dimension from a talent aspect they hadn’t had in years! With Rickea, she takes this role and enhances it! Do you hear me LadyVol1908?!!!
It fits her abilities and she has proven herself in the BEST WBB conference in the country the SEC!!!
If by chance Rickea fills another position, then Puckett and Striplin will battle for the 4 spot. Now again there’s always uncertainty due to injury. We won’t know any time soon but you better believe when I speak about this it all is based on realistic expectations.

Shooting guards are expected to shoot well and score--that's the whole point of the position. If you can't shoot well, you shouldn't be a starting shooting guard on a major D1 program.

RE Darby: If amazes me that anyone still has a push shot, which went with hoops skirts. She's been an asset as she can make shots, but her technique is a problem for the reasons others have stated--you can't get your shot off when an opponent is reasonably close.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Yes,she really needs to work on that shot And free throws!!! If she improves on that she is another Rae!!
Love your optimism there, but Rae always had beautiful form on her shot, even though there were a lot of misses in her Freshman year. Rae never missed the entire basketball goal, backboard and all, on a free throw. Ok, maybe just nerves and a slip, but obviously Wynn needs to work on her shooting, from layups to free throws to anything else. Wynn has a lot to learn on both offense and defense, I’m hoping she’s a quick study. Kellie is good at developing players, beginning in their Freshman year, so there’s hope, as I’m sure Wynn has the desire and willingness to work to be a good basketball player.

Since this thread is focusing on Wynn as a shooting guard, I have to agree, she has shown me nothing that has shown she could be an effective shooting guard....The girl can slash to the basket, but a consistent effective outside shot she does not possess, at least at this time...

I was very surprised at her lack of outside shooting skills...She is cat quick defensively, but so far, her outside shot is a big work in progress...Someone needs to really help this girl if she is ever going to be a major contributor to the team...

Outmoded terminology I think. Traditionally, one was either a PG or a shooting guard. When teams go with 3 and sometimes 4 guard line-ups, those terms are completely archaic. In a three guard line-up, Wynn's role would be better described as the "pressing guard," or off ball scorer etc.

I agree. People don’t think she can score at the SG for UT but I think she can.

I’m afraid we will be losing BK after this season. Everyone else’s posts on IG yesterday were about next season. Her stories were crossed fingers and worried face emojis. Seems like her status as a Lady Vol may be up in the air right now.

Makes me super sad because I love her game so much. Really hope they come to some sort of compromise and she can stay as a Lady Vol. Purely a guess, but didn’t seem to hard to read between the lines. She obviously wants to continue to be a Lady Vol.
I hope Miles can stay, she brings a spark, and I’m guessing she’ll show a lot of improvement from her Freshman year to her Sophomore year, just like our other Freshmen.

Shooting guards are expected to shoot well and score--that's the whole point of the position. If you can't shoot well, you shouldn't be a starting shooting guard on a major D1 program.

RE Darby: If amazes me that anyone still has a push shot, which went with hoops skirts. She's been an asset as she can make shots, but her technique is a problem for the reasons others have stated--you can't get your shot off when an opponent is reasonably close.
Re Darby : Her shot is pretty accurate as is, do you change it too much? If we ran plays to get her open I don’t think she would have to change her shot. As the season wore on, I actually thought she started to get it off a little quicker.

Says the man who said the same thing about Warlick. Ha....

At least I don't act like a know-it-all who writes long posts showing just how stupid they are. And yes, unlike you I supported the team in the past and will continue to do so. If that bothers you, good. I guess that just puts you in the same bracket as the Negas who liked your post.

Last edited:
I hope Miles can stay, she brings a spark, and I’m guessing she’ll show a lot of improvement from her Freshman year to her Sophomore year, just like our other Freshmen.

We NEED Miles to stay because she is our top defensive catalyst IMO. The pride she takes in the exhausting work of face-guarding opponents, sometimes even making them unable to bring the ball up the floor, is contagious. I'm confident she'll work on her shooting to get to where she can help us there, too. I already really, really like what Miles brings, and she's likely to get much better. Same with Wynn.

Stupid post of the day right here folks. Shooting guards, shooting forwards, shooting centers, shooting your mouth off. Everyone shoots. You have no point because you don't know much if anything about WBB. You're just another Ivy.

Last edited:
I see a lot of you are wishful thinkers frfr lol. The starting 5 with no doubt will be
PG- Jasmine Powell, SG- Jordan Walker, SF-Horston, PF- Rickea Jackson, and C-Tamari Key. Good thing about this Kellie runs a platoon system so everyone will play a lot of meaningful minutes. Not only that Kellie has stated she wants to play and on defense she wants to be a pressing team. With the athletes we have and will be getting, not to mention the height and speed we will having with the press I see us doing big things. I'm super excited for next season

Re Darby : Her shot is pretty accurate as is, do you change it too much? If we ran plays to get her open I don’t think she would have to change her shot. As the season wore on, I actually thought she started to get it off a little quicker.
I'm still trying to figure out how 5'7 Van Lith was able to block 6'1 Darby's 3-pt shot. Her release must be lower than I thought.

I believe 4 starters are definite. I don’t see a high transfer like Jaz coming into be brought off the bench.

Jazz-PG
Jordan H-2
Rickea-3
Tamari-5

the 4th spot will be up in the air!
the joke was, the post I quoted had her as Justin

There is a long time and lots of potential player development before next season. So it's hard to say for sure what the rotation will look like. I think it would be a big surprise if the following doesn't end up being true:

Powell at the 1
Horston at the 3
Jackson at the 4
Key at the 5

Then we have some flexibility with who is the best fit along with those 4. That group of 4 has very limited ability to score from the perimeter and force the defense to spread out. Darby would be the player most capable of extending the defense and giving more space for the others to operate. But she is very limited with every other part of her game. Walker could start with that group and she is much more versatile than Darby. And she would be better when she is not the 1. But she doesn't spread the floor because she can't shoot. You could start Puckett with that group and you would add shooting. That would move Horston to the 2. Honestly, as I type that out, that is probably our best offensive 5. Horston can guard a 2. Jackson can guard a 3. Puckett can guard a 4. Wynn is basically a more athletic Walker. You can't be a guard and shoot under 50% from FT line. That points to serious issues with your mental approach to shooting. And her offensive IQ/shot selection needs lots of work.

Having options with lots of talented players is certainly a better spot to be in though. We have legit competition and it's going to force the cream to rise to the top. Love it!
I like your reasoning there. Also, think Striplin will have a very big role on the team next year, she passes well, is mobile, a strong 6’3, and can shoot outside or fight for the layup. Also, if Justine can shoot those 3’s, she can certainly spread the floor, even if she is a Freshman. Next season looking very exciting.

A lot of guesstimations and reality hoping. In the end KJH and her staff will decide the lineup. For the first time since KJH took over she will have the ability to run subs in and out and not lose much of a beat. A lot depends on how these ladies improve over the summer. I do look for big things from Puckett and Striplin. I really believe Striplin has the ability to be like the center for Iowa Monica Czinano. She is Striplin’s size but uses strength, agility and very good post moves to control the paint. With the improvement of this freshmen class and what KJH has coming, she will have so many more options to play with. This team has the ability to have an outstanding season.

A lot of guesstimations and reality hoping. In the end KJH and her staff will decide the lineup. For the first time since KJH took over she will have the ability to run subs in and out and not lose much of a beat. A lot depends on how these ladies improve over the summer. I do look for big things from Puckett and Striplin. I really believe Striplin has the ability to be like the center for Iowa Monica Czinano. She is Striplin’s size but uses strength, agility and very good post moves to control the paint. With the improvement of this freshmen class and what KJH has coming, she will have so many more options to play with. This team has the ability to have an outstanding season.
Czinano is 90% the player she is because of the passing abilities of the Iowa guards...especially Clark. They get her the ball exactly where she needs it in order to score right away. Striplin is similarly built, but needs the Tennessee guards to fulfill their end of the deal as well.

I'm fairly certain, before SEC play, Justine will get plenty of action coming off the bench...When she shows she can handle the college game, she will see more time.

Of course, when she pops a few 25 plus 3 balls, all the complainers about her will sing her praises, but they will always be off key to me...

I'm fairly certain, before SEC play, Justine will get plenty of action coming off the bench...When she shows she can handle the college game, she will see more time.

Of course, when she pops a few 25 plus 3 balls, all the complainers about her will sing her praises, but they will always be off key to me...

Justine will get some serious minutes no doubt. Kellie has done the same thing all three seasons and that is to give developmental minutes to her new players in a controlled situation. Next year, Kellie will have 3 or 4 new players, all with different skill sets that will need minutes. Since at least two of them are seasoned veterans, they will not need as many developmental minutes. Justine is a shooter so her confidence has to be managed as well. Integrating a shooter can be a challenge. I hope everyone gives her time.

I want the best ball handlers out on the floor respective to position

Key
Jackson
Horston
Walker
Powell

But it is crazy that we could see Suarez, Puckett, Pissott, Miles coming off the bench

Those 4 are starters on most teams
What about Darby?

Czinano is 90% the player she is because of the passing abilities of the Iowa guards...especially Clark. They get her the ball exactly where she needs it in order to score right away. Striplin is similarly built, but needs the Tennessee guards to fulfill their end of the deal as well.
When I made my statement about Striplin I am taking into consideration we will have better guard play. Powell is a welcome sight and I believe moving Walker to scoring guard will improve her play. Add this to the fact that our freshmen guards improved immensely over the season. I do not see Miles being asked to leave and Wynn looks like she is about to be the player we thought she would be.

Reactions: Bret178
At least I don't act like a know-it-all who writes long posts showing just how stupid they are. And yes, unlike you I supported the team in the past and will continue to do so. If that bothers you, good. I guess that just puts you in the same bracket as the Negas who liked your post.

Hey, some fans are sappy homers; some are more analytical and candid.

What about Darby?

Decent shooter but not sure I would put her over any of those others I listed. Still nice to put in for things like a last second shot tho. But in general I think Darby falls to a near 3rd strong role next season.

VN Store

Back