Next yr starting 5

Powell
Walker
Horston
Jackson
Key

You get height/rebounding/scoring/speed/defense(Jackson WILL play defense here, help her pro game)/and experience from top to bottom

Horston
Wynn
Jackson
Pissott
Key

For when a team like SC goes to their big lineup of everyone over 6’2 including PG

Horston
Darby
Suarez
Puckett
Pissott

For when we MUST make a three.

Miles
Powell
Wynn
Horston
Jackson

When we need to get a steal

There are sooooo many combinations that will work during games, ending games, against different matchups… the team next year is well built 1-12. Edie(and technically Justine) are enigmas with regards to what they may bring. I look for Edie to actually be good though. Rennie/Saunders are wonderful teammates and will get their moments on the court. Kellie has a lot to work with next season

Yes I played basketball and I’m not sure what that has to do with ANYTHING and is usually a question that people pose to make their argument seem a little more superior since they played the sport but you know….go off. Was that sound enough for you?

Now that we’re past that, the primary role of the 2 spot or SHOOTING guard is to what…..shoot! It doesn’t disqualify her but essentially it doesn’t behoove Wynn to play in a position that’s not suited to her strengths. She’s a slasher, with no outside shot whatsoever. Now once she develops that outside shot, the 2 could be a good position for her to play.

Also we can agree to disagree, I think Marta should and could start at the 4 next year and that’s that. I don’t care who we have coming in.

My starting line up has Jackson playing the 3 (Rae’s spot) not the 4! Not that it matters cause I’m not the coach but my starting line up would be

1 - Powell
2 - Horston
3 - Jackson
4- Suarez
5 - Key
I like this lineup…just not sure what Marta is going to look like. It’s been so long since we’ve seen her play. But I can see her or Sara starting at the 4. It’s exciting to have so many options!

I like this lineup…just not sure what Marta is going to look like. It’s been so long since we’ve seen her play. But I can see her or Sara starting at the 4. It’s exciting to have so many options!
She’s definitely a question mark going into next season. My thought is, she looks to have dropped significant weight, she was already pretty heady as a freshman, with solid fundamentals. If healthy I think she’s a little better than Puckett because she seemed a little quicker. Puckett may be the better deep ball shooter though.

She’s definitely a question mark going into next season. My thought is, she looks to have dropped significant weight, she was already pretty heady as a freshman, with solid fundamentals. If healthy I think she’s a little better than Puckett because she seemed a little quicker. Puckett may be the better deep ball shooter though.

What I do like about Marta …. One year of injury , and one year of COVID….. She could play next year as her FRESHMAN YEAR ? She could play for four more years !!!!!!!! 🤔

Reactions: lvocd
Since this thread is focusing on Wynn as a shooting guard, I have to agree, she has shown me nothing that has shown she could be an effective shooting guard....The girl can slash to the basket, but a consistent effective outside shot she does not possess, at least at this time...

I was very surprised at her lack of outside shooting skills...She is cat quick defensively, but so far, her outside shot is a big work in progress...Someone needs to really help this girl if she is ever going to be a major contributor to the team...
10704308.jpg
Well get ready because she is going to be awesome. You can work on a skill and improve it but her athletics and IQ are things you have or don’t have. KW is the player I am most excited about for next year. Jaw dropping potential and the work ethic to go with it.

Tess does need to change her shooting motion.the majority of the time she shoots from the chest and pushes up that's why it's hard for her to get a shot off when closed out on and when she tried to quick shoot the young lady from Louisville blocked it out of bounds now I see why she rarely shoots when covered where as Puckett shoots at a higher release point and with her wrists which helps her when closed out on like that 3 pointer.so Tess does need to make that correction if she can of releasing the ball higher to get her shot off quicker

That might be an issue of upper body strength. Puckett has more of that, and can lift the ball higher to shoot it with accuracy. Tess may not be strong enough to shoot like that with any consistency.

There is a long time and lots of potential player development before next season. So it's hard to say for sure what the rotation will look like. I think it would be a big surprise if the following doesn't end up being true:

Powell at the 1
Horston at the 3
Jackson at the 4
Key at the 5

Then we have some flexibility with who is the best fit along with those 4. That group of 4 has very limited ability to score from the perimeter and force the defense to spread out. Darby would be the player most capable of extending the defense and giving more space for the others to operate. But she is very limited with every other part of her game. Walker could start with that group and she is much more versatile than Darby. And she would be better when she is not the 1. But she doesn't spread the floor because she can't shoot. You could start Puckett with that group and you would add shooting. That would move Horston to the 2. Honestly, as I type that out, that is probably our best offensive 5. Horston can guard a 2. Jackson can guard a 3. Puckett can guard a 4. Wynn is basically a more athletic Walker. You can't be a guard and shoot under 50% from FT line. That points to serious issues with your mental approach to shooting. And her offensive IQ/shot selection needs lots of work.

Having options with lots of talented players is certainly a better spot to be in though. We have legit competition and it's going to force the cream to rise to the top. Love it!

Don't forget Pissott as an outside shooter. She should find time at either the 2 or the 3, doubt she would start early in the year.

Jackson not starting ?
Miles, Powell, Darby, Pucket and Jackson is my second line up. The game becomes faster with them on the floor together. Pucket has to work on ball handling and become a legitimate threat from behind the arc next year. That way she can fight her way into the starting line up.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Powell will start at point guard and I can see Walker staying in the starting lineup at the two. Horston and Jackson are interchangable at the three and four then your center is Key. I can see Puckett taking the sixth man role and playing 3-4 then you have to believe at this time Stripling is your backup five. Wynn is the question mark really talented athlete without refined basketball skills. You would like to move Wynn to point guard, but her free throw shooting is horrid. So I see Miles moving in as the backup to Powell. Tess Darby probably going to see a lesser role as a three and Justine will gets some minutes, but how many is totally up in the air. Marta another inside type player will have to define her role by her play in practice. Emily and Jessie again don't see a lot of playing time. Of course a lot of who plays will depend upon how they develop over the summer.
My no doubt starters are Key, Horston, Jackson, and Powell. The fifth spot to be determined.

My take for the very little it is worth. You don't recruit Jackson unless the plan is for her to get serious minutes and be a penciled in as a starter. Jordan Horston should also be locked in.

Powell seems likely as the main PG. Key is the obvious post option. So, the remaining slot is going to be between Puckett and Pissott. A freshman will probably start the season as the "6th man" and see how it all goes as the season progresses.

I think Striplin will do just fine as the #2 post and that this team may naturally gravitate to playing a faster small ball line-up for longer stretches. Tess and Justine offer good outside shooting options, Miles and Wynn provide speed and defensive headaches and Walker has a good all round skill set.

Last edited:
I think Striplin will do just fine as the #2 post and that this team may naturally gravitate to playing a faster small ball line-up for longer stretches. Tess and Justine offer good outside shooting options, Miles and Wynn provide speed and defensive headaches and Walker has a good all round skill set.

If Striplin's off-season goes extremely well, I feel like she could be the best scoring/offensive rebounding post Kellie has. And that makes me want to see a gameplan in which Striplin and Key are on the court at the same time, with Striplin at the 5 on the offensive end, and Key at the 5 on the defensive end. I feel like having Key at the high post, focusing on taking that shot from around the free throw range -- with an occasional cut to underneath -- and Striplin under the basket, gives us the best scoring AND rebounding on the offensive end. Key rebounds better away from the basket, and Striplin has the foot-speed and strength to get around boxouts under the goal.

Powell
Walker
Horston
Jackson
Key

You get height/rebounding/scoring/speed/defense(Jackson WILL play defense here, help her pro game)/and experience from top to bottom

Horston
Wynn
Jackson
Pissott
Key

For when a team like SC goes to their big lineup of everyone over 6’2 including PG

Horston
Darby
Suarez
Puckett
Pissott

For when we MUST make a three.

Miles
Powell
Wynn
Horston
Jackson

When we need to get a steal

There are sooooo many combinations that will work during games, ending games, against different matchups… the team next year is well built 1-12. Edie(and technically Justine) are enigmas with regards to what they may bring. I look for Edie to actually be good though. Rennie/Saunders are wonderful teammates and will get their moments on the court. Kellie has a lot to work with next season
If we have to have a three, Pissott must be in the game.

If we have to have a three, Pissott must be in the game.

I suspect Kellie will bring Pissott off the bench to begin her college career, just so she's not putting too much pressure on herself to try to do too much. I believe Kellie has enough options that she can have patience bringing her along, but I also suspect she could end up a starter by the time the conference schedule begins.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
If Striplin's off-season goes extremely well, I feel like she could be the best scoring/offensive rebounding post Kellie has. And that makes me want to see a gameplan in which Striplin and Key are on the court at the same time, with Striplin at the 5 on the offensive end, and Key at the 5 on the defensive end. I feel like having Key at the high post, focusing on taking that shot from around the free throw range -- with an occasional cut to underneath -- and Striplin under the basket, gives us the best scoring AND rebounding on the offensive end. Key rebounds better away from the basket, and Striplin has the foot-speed and strength to get around boxouts under the goal.

Puckett and Striplin are the players some posters say Marta is. I think there’s a good chance that either Puckett or Striplin will start if Rickea moves to the 3 spot and Horston to the 2 spot. I just can’t see Marta missing a full season and then moving above either of those players to start. They were too good this season as freshmen. Marta will get some minutes though.

VN Store

Back