Next yr starting 5

Darby needs to spend all summer watching film on Becky Hammon's game and working on developing a similar style. Hammon proved you don't have to have quick foot speed to be an effective player.

This is unrealistic for Tess. While Becky may not have been overly quick she was only 5’6” and had impeccable handles. No way Darby can develop handles like that. Just a lot different when you’re 6’1”.

This is unrealistic for Tess. While Becky may not have been overly quick she was only 5’6” and had impeccable handles. No way Darby can develop handles like that. Just a lot different when you’re 6’1”.

I would not ask Tess to change her game make no sense. That`s like tell SC Beal to change her shooting style and shoot the ball more not gonna happen.

Reactions: Rooster1
Pay attention.. Wynn definitely plays the SG position!
I believe Horston will start at the 3 position and Rickea at the 4. How can Marta be expected to compete for a starting position when you have players like Puckett plus Rickea transferring in? She’ll definitely be filling the role previously held by Keyen Green but at the 4 spot if she’s healthy. I think the PG spot will see the most distribution of minutes with Powell, Walker, and Miles. There’s no way Coach Harper suspended Miles for 1 game just to have her dismissed after the season. There might be more discipline coming but I’ll be shock if she isn’t here in the fall.

Excuse tf out of me for not paying attention to Wynn playing the SG position, but since you said it, I’ll make sure to do it in the future! 🥴

Anyhow, Wynn doesn’t need to be playing the SHOOTING guard position because she can’t SHOOT! That’s what I was getting at, until she can develop a shot or we have an offense in place that doesn’t have our 2 player hunting outside shots, Wynn doesn’t need to be at the 2 spot at all.

Also Marta can be expected to compete for a starting spot because she started as a Freshman, and played pretty well as at the 4 spot! Healthy and in shape, I expect her to compete for that starting spot again.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Excuse tf out of me for not paying attention to Wynn playing the SG position, but since you said it, I’ll make sure to do it in the future! 🥴

Anyhow, Wynn doesn’t need to be playing the SHOOTING guard position because she can’t SHOOT! That’s what I was getting at, until she can develop a shot or we have an offense in place that doesn’t have our 2 player hunting outside shots, Wynn doesn’t need to be at the 2 spot at all.

Also Marta can be expected to compete for a starting spot because she started as a Freshman, and played pretty well as at the 4 spot! Healthy and in shape, I expect her to compete for that starting spot again.

Hold on now young lady! I don’t want to assume but I have a good idea of your mindset! However, I’ll ask you this one question. Give me a sound answer!

Have you ever played this game, on any level?

Being a shooting guard doesn’t mean a player must possess a fundamentally sound shooting form. It would be an asset if or when Wynn improves her form but it doesn’t disqualify her from using her elite athleticism and skillset to be effective at the 2 spot right now.

Marta played the spot 4 on a team that didn’t have Puckett, Dye (graduate transfer) who improve that position this year, Rickea (5⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️ 22-23 transfer) who is a flat out baller, and Pissott (5⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️ ‘cruit).
So maybe you should readjust your thinking process if possible..

Hold on now young lady! I don’t want to assume but I have a good idea of your mindset! However, I’ll ask you this one question. Give me a sound answer!

Have you ever played this game, on any level?

Being a shooting guard doesn’t mean a player must possess a fundamentally sound shooting form. It would be an asset if or when Wynn improves her form but it doesn’t disqualify her from using her elite athleticism and skillset to be effective at the 2 spot right now.

Marta played the spot 4 on a team that didn’t have Puckett, Dye (graduate transfer) who improve that position this year, Rickea (5⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️ 22-23 transfer) who is a flat out baller, and Pissott (5⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️ ‘cruit).
So maybe you should readjust your thinking process if possible..
Yes I played basketball and I’m not sure what that has to do with ANYTHING and is usually a question that people pose to make their argument seem a little more superior since they played the sport but you know….go off. Was that sound enough for you?

Now that we’re past that, the primary role of the 2 spot or SHOOTING guard is to what…..shoot! It doesn’t disqualify her but essentially it doesn’t behoove Wynn to play in a position that’s not suited to her strengths. She’s a slasher, with no outside shot whatsoever. Now once she develops that outside shot, the 2 could be a good position for her to play.

Also we can agree to disagree, I think Marta should and could start at the 4 next year and that’s that. I don’t care who we have coming in.

My starting line up has Jackson playing the 3 (Rae’s spot) not the 4! Not that it matters cause I’m not the coach but my starting line up would be

1 - Powell
2 - Horston
3 - Jackson
4- Suarez
5 - Key

I would not ask Tess to change her game make no sense. That`s like tell SC Beal to change her shooting style and shoot the ball more not gonna happen.
Tess does need to change her shooting motion.the majority of the time she shoots from the chest and pushes up that's why it's hard for her to get a shot off when closed out on and when she tried to quick shoot the young lady from Louisville blocked it out of bounds now I see why she rarely shoots when covered where as Puckett shoots at a higher release point and with her wrists which helps her when closed out on like that 3 pointer.so Tess does need to make that correction if she can of releasing the ball higher to get her shot off quicker

Yes I played basketball and I’m not sure what that has to do with ANYTHING and is usually a question that people pose to make their argument seem a little more superior since they played the sport but you know….go off. Was that sound enough for you?

Now that we’re past that, the primary role of the 2 spot or SHOOTING guard is to what…..shoot! It doesn’t disqualify her but essentially it doesn’t behoove Wynn to play in a position that’s not suited to her strengths. She’s a slasher, with no outside shot whatsoever. Now once she develops that outside shot, the 2 could be a good position for her to play.

Also we can agree to disagree, I think Marta should and could start at the 4 next year and that’s that. I don’t care who we have coming in.

My starting line up has Jackson playing the 3 (Rae’s spot) not the 4! Not that it matters cause I’m not the coach but my starting line up would be

1 - Powell
2 - Horston
3 - Jackson
4- Suarez
5 - Key

I strongly disagree! Kaiya is one of the most athletically gifted freshman I watched in WBB this season. She’s a flat out athlete! I can live with her lack of shooting prowess as a 1-2 yr SEC athlete! As long as she plays with great energy on both ends of the floor. With her skillset, there’s no doubt in my mind the shooting technique and efficiency will improve between yr 2-3.
Now as for Marta, she could be your preference due to the small sample size during her freshman yr. I hope she does well.
But you mean to tell me you’ve actually watched Rickea Jackson and don’t see her filling the role Alexus Dye just thrived in as a graduate transfer.. and despite the remarkable success Snoop had.. Rickea gives the LVs a dimension from a talent aspect they hadn’t had in years! With Rickea, she takes this role and enhances it! Do you hear me LadyVol1908?!!!
It fits her abilities and she has proven herself in the BEST WBB conference in the country the SEC!!!
If by chance Rickea fills another position, then Puckett and Striplin will battle for the 4 spot. Now again there’s always uncertainty due to injury. We won’t know any time soon but you better believe when I speak about this it all is based on realistic expectations.

Last edited:
Well, you can either make improvements to your game, or just stay the same. I would guess she wants to improve. Sorry to disagree, but anybody can obtain a tight handle if they work on it.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Well, you can either make improvements to your game, or just stay the same. I would guess she wants to improve. Sorry to disagree, but anybody can obtain a tight handle if they work on it.

It`s all good i like when we agree to disagree without question she can improve her ball handling skills. But first she needs to work on creating her on shot and i think.

I strongly disagree! Kaiya is one of the most athletically gifted freshman I watched in WBB this season. She’s a flat out athlete! I can live with her lack of shooting prowess as a 1-2 yr SEC athlete! As long as she plays with great energy on both ends of the floor. With her skillset, there’s no doubt in my mind the shooting technique and efficiency will improve between yr 2-3.
Now as for Marta, she could be your preference due to the small sample size during her freshman yr. I hope she does well.
But you mean to tell me you’ve actually watched Rickea Jackson and don’t see her filling the role Alexus Dye just thrived in as a graduate transfer.. and despite the remarkable success Snoop had.. Rickea gives the LVs a dimension from a talent aspect they hadn’t had in years! With Rickea, she takes this role and enhances it! Do you hear me LadyVol1908?!!!
It fits her abilities and she has proven herself in the BEST WBB conference in the country the SEC!!!
If by chance Rickea fills another position, then Puckett and Striplin will battle for the 4 spot. Now again there’s always uncertainty due to injury. We won’t know any time soon but you better believe when I speak about this it all is based on realistic expectations.
Wynn isn’t a shooting guard and Marta should start at the 4 next year with Jackson at the 3. 🤝

There is a long time and lots of potential player development before next season. So it's hard to say for sure what the rotation will look like. I think it would be a big surprise if the following doesn't end up being true:

Powell at the 1
Horston at the 3
Jackson at the 4
Key at the 5

Then we have some flexibility with who is the best fit along with those 4. That group of 4 has very limited ability to score from the perimeter and force the defense to spread out. Darby would be the player most capable of extending the defense and giving more space for the others to operate. But she is very limited with every other part of her game. Walker could start with that group and she is much more versatile than Darby. And she would be better when she is not the 1. But she doesn't spread the floor because she can't shoot. You could start Puckett with that group and you would add shooting. That would move Horston to the 2. Honestly, as I type that out, that is probably our best offensive 5. Horston can guard a 2. Jackson can guard a 3. Puckett can guard a 4. Wynn is basically a more athletic Walker. You can't be a guard and shoot under 50% from FT line. That points to serious issues with your mental approach to shooting. And her offensive IQ/shot selection needs lots of work.

Having options with lots of talented players is certainly a better spot to be in though. We have legit competition and it's going to force the cream to rise to the top. Love it!

VolNation has a lot of low basketball IQ posters.. it’s easy to sit here and say what a player can’t/won’t/shouldn’t do behind a computer. Fact is, she played it this year. She will play it next season. Deal with it.

Reactions: Rickster
I am hopeful that KJH brings in a monster center. So far, that has been the weakest offensive position.

I don't know what you mean by "monster center", but we could use another athletic forward who can board, move, play defense. Another Jackson, basically, even if she doesn't have Jackson's scoring skills. That is the type of player we should be recruiting.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
VolNation has a lot of low basketball IQ posters.. it’s easy to sit here and say what a player can’t/won’t/shouldn’t do behind a computer. Fact is, she played it this year. She will play it next season. Deal with it.
Do you include yourself in the number of low basketball IQ posters? Let me guess you don’t because you played basketball right?

Reactions: Bret178 and glv98
Since this thread is focusing on Wynn as a shooting guard, I have to agree, she has shown me nothing that has shown she could be an effective shooting guard....The girl can slash to the basket, but a consistent effective outside shot she does not possess, at least at this time...

I was very surprised at her lack of outside shooting skills...She is cat quick defensively, but so far, her outside shot is a big work in progress...Someone needs to really help this girl if she is ever going to be a major contributor to the team...
10704308.jpg

She really needs to develop a shot this summer. If she can use her speed and shoot the ball she’s dangerous.
She at least needs to be able to hit free throws if she wants to play very much basketball. In fact, I think every on on scholarship needs to shoot 300 foul shots every day even without any coaches around.

VN Store

Back