Next yr starting 5

My lineup, but we know all will get playing time, and the lineup will always change during the games, Justine is possibly going to get more minutes as time goes on, and Wynn may be added for extra defense.

Powell, Walker, Miles, Edie
Horston, Walker, Wynn
Rickea, Tess, Justine, Rennie
Sara, Striplin, Marta, Justine
Key, Striplin, Marta

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Thoughtful. I don't think it matters where you put Horston or Jackson. You could put them at the four or the five, and they're both still gonna be all over the court shooting from the perimeter, midrange, and driving it to the rim. And crashing boards. We know they're gonna start at whatever position you want to call it. I like Sara at the 4, also. She isn't really a perimeter player, but could take her man out to the perimeter when needed to threaten that 3 point shot of hers. She's also a deadly shooter from midrange. Could improve rebounding and defense. I also think Pissott will be the first wing off the bench, and Tess will play when there is a favorable match-up for her defensively. But, like you say, that will probably take some time. And I think you're right to have Marta at the four, though I think she will be first off the bench at the 4 instead of Striplin.

Thoughtful. I don't think it matters where you put Horston or Jackson. You could put them at the four or the five, and they're both still gonna be all over the court shooting from the perimeter, midrange, and driving it to the rim. And crashing boards. We know they're gonna start at whatever position you want to call it. I like Sara at the 4, also. She isn't really a perimeter player, but could take her man out to the perimeter when needed to threaten that 3 point shot of hers. She's also a deadly shooter from midrange. Could improve rebounding and defense. I also think Pissott will be the first wing off the bench, and Tess will play when there is a favorable match-up for her defensively. But, like you say, that will probably take some time. And I think you're right to have Marta at the four, though I think she will be first off the bench at the 4 instead of Striplin.
Yes, I tried to separate the positions into point guards, slashers, outside shooters, stronger players who could play under the basket but also make outside shots, and post players. Horston and Rickea can play almost anywhere which effects the other player choices. With several players who can play more than one position, plus players such as Marta and Justine whom we cannot really know yet how well they play, or how ready they are to play, plus Powell is also a bit unknown, it’s just too soon to pin down the lineup, but it is fun to speculate. There’s often big improvement from Freshman to Sophomore play and I am expecting that, but with three new players plus one we haven’t seen play in quite some time, Marta, there are just a lot of unknowns here, especially when 3-4 of those players may be expected to be starters. Then, there’s which players play best together, also an unknown. 🙂
I know one thing though, Kellie will see all the possible lineups play together in games and will know which players she wants on the court in crunch time.

Last edited:
I love the versatility and depth we should have next year. It makes it fun to speculate how it will play out. However, I think all the starters except one are already penciled in barring injury or unforeseen problems. Almost everyone here has agreed that Key, Horston, and Jackson will be starters. I think with just slightly less certainty that Powell will start at point. She is our first point guard in years that has already fully developed the requisite skills for a potentially great point guard: several assists a game, good assist:turnover ratio, a good 3 point shot, often scores in double digits, can penetrate and create her own shot, and decent quickness for both offense and defense. She also showed these skills as a Freshman and Sophomore in a talented and competitive conference. Yes, the Big Ten is fun to diss but they have done better than the SEC in the NCAA tourney lately. Given her unique point guard skill set and our depth at all other positions except for Center, there is no reason for her not to start at point guard. Given Kellie's preference to substitute liberally, our other point guard candidates will have opportunities to get the experience they need to further develop their skills. The cliché that most teams need a talented and experienced point guard to go far is true! Well, we now have one to guide our deep and talented team for an exciting year!!!

I love the versatility and depth we should have next year. It makes it fun to speculate how it will play out. However, I think all the starters except one are already penciled in barring injury or unforeseen problems. Almost everyone here has agreed that Key, Horston, and Jackson will be starters. I think with just slightly less certainty that Powell will start at point. She is our first point guard in years that has already fully developed the requisite skills for a potentially great point guard: several assists a game, good assist:turnover ratio, a good 3 point shot, often scores in double digits, can penetrate and create her own shot, and decent quickness for both offense and defense. She also showed these skills as a Freshman and Sophomore in a talented and competitive conference. Yes, the Big Ten is fun to diss but they have done better than the SEC in the NCAA tourney lately. Given her unique point guard skill set and our depth at all other positions except for Center, there is no reason for her not to start at point guard. Given Kellie's preference to substitute liberally, our other point guard candidates will have opportunities to get the experience they need to further develop their skills. The cliché that most teams need a talented and experienced point guard to go far is true! Well, we now have one to guide our deep and talented team for an exciting year!!!
Yes, I have Powell as point guard, too. The interesting thing, even with 4 expected starters, is that the fifth player can be at position 2, 3, or 4, depending on where Horston and Rickea are counted, so the missing player could be Walker, Tess, Sara, Marta, Striplin, or if/when ready, Justine. 😀

Yes, I tried to separate the positions into point guards, slashers, outside shooters, stronger players who could play under the basket but also make outside shots, and post players. Horston and Rickea can play almost anywhere which effects the other player choices. With several players who can play more than one position, plus players such as Marta and Justine whom we cannot really know yet how well they play, or how ready they are to play, plus Powell is also a bit unknown, it’s just too soon to pin down the lineup, but it is fun to speculate. There’s often big improvement from Freshman to Sophomore play and I am expecting that, but with three new players plus one we haven’t seen play in quite some time, Marta, there are just a lot of unknowns here, especially when 3-4 of those players may be expected to be starters. Then, there’s which players play best together, also an unknown. 🙂
I know one thing though, Kellie will see all the possible lineups play together in games and will know which players she wants on the court in crunch time.

Very thoughtful analysis. You're right that there are too many unknowns to feel comfortable with any one particular depth chart, and you're also correct that speculating is a lot of fun!! :)

There’s no way (with the exception of injuries) that Rickea and Jaz don’t start. No way. Also, what have you seen that puts Marta in the starting line up over Sara or Rickea?[/QUOTE
Nothing is given. I believe those who work the hardest will crack the starting line up. Not because of what they have done on another squad. Also team chemistry matters who plays best with who. Which line up scores the most together. We haven’t had dialogue about it but I team needs to be much better shooters and the offense needs to be much more fluid than it was a year ago.

I see

Powell
Horston
Darby
Jackson
Key

we will have a super quality dupe lineup of

Walker
Wynn/Miles
Pissott/Suarez
Puckett/Suarez
Striplin/additional post

I think Tess will get the starting nod, at least early. She proved herself last season and carved out a spot for herself and her play. I gave her such a hard time the first 10 games or so of the season. She turned a corner with her defense and her shot really came on in SEC play. It became pretty obvious we look better with her on the floor. Right now that is her spot to lose.

Justine has the skillset to win that starting spot from Tess eventually IMO. From what I have seen she can shoot, handle, will post up and rebound. She has size on Tess as well so would present a huge matchup problem. Defensively I think Tess is better at the moment but only for having had two years in Kellie’s system. Justine can be a defensive stopper for us as well.

With some of our forwards it may simply come down to who practiced better that week. Puckett will get her minutes for sure. Depending on who else we bring in players like Suarez and Striplin are really going to have to earn their PT. Something I think they are ready to do.
What if Horston came off the bench for us? I wonder what that would do for the second line up.

What if Horston came off the bench for us? I wonder what that would do for the second line up.

More likely the other jordan would come off the bench for us since Horston has been starting since her freshman year. No doubt it would give out bench a lift but don't see it happening. Next year a player like Puckett coming off the bench should be a big shot of energy in the arm. After seeing Horston on the bench this year i don't wanna see her on the bench again unless it's a game where we have a big lead.

The big unknown to me is Marta. She seemed slow to me her freshman year. She was having foot problems even then so I imagine that impacted her speed. There maybe a couple on the roster who are as fast or faster who are taller and good shooters. Don’t remember how she rebounds.

Isn't it GREAT to have sooooo many options?

Tamari Key at the 5. Jackson at the 4. Jordan Horston at the 1, 2, or 3. There are 200 minutes a game. These three will get around 30 minutes each. that leaves 110 minuets for the rest of the team. It will be up to Kellie Harper to decide who gets them. There will be a dog fight for them. I love all 4 of the freshmen that will be Sophomore next year. Powell, Brooklynn Miles and Jordan Walker will work very hard to be at the 1, the other will probably be at the 2. This will be the deepest bench in years for the Lady Vol's. I'm very excited for the team and fans next season. As always go Lady Vol's.

Tamari Key at the 5. Jackson at the 4. Jordan Horston at the 1, 2, or 3. There are 200 minutes a game. These three will get around 30 minutes each. that leaves 110 minuets for the rest of the team. It will be up to Kellie Harper to decide who gets them. There will be a dog fight for them. I love all 4 of the freshmen that will be Sophomore next year. Powell, Brooklynn Miles and Jordan Walker will work very hard to be at the 1, the other will probably be at the 2. This will be the deepest bench in years for the Lady Vol's. I'm very excited for the team and fans next season. As always go Lady Vol's.

I see 25 minutes per game for each of them to keep their legs fresh and to keep them aggressive. In big games I can see those minutes being higher of course but we should be beating most teams pretty handily. 18-20 each for Walker and Powell and about 87 minutes to split between 7 players for a little over 12 a game for a team vying for a final 4 and hopefully more?

I think happy days are here again if indeed it all pans out for us to be as great as I think we will be.. unlike a lot of the other top teams(Maryland, NC State, ND, Stanford) we’ve not lost anyone we weren’t expecting to lose going into next season(Rae/Alexus/Keyen/to some extent Emily) and are only gaining valuable pieces, that consistency is huge.. the players getting the 10 a game are important pieces for the future and I think all would understand the plan(or the blueprint as Justine said) let’s fricking go!

Last edited:
What kind of defenders are Powell and Jackson? If they're not fairly quick/active and hard-working, I see the same problems the Vols had last year--opposing guards/forwards blowing past our defenders. Horston is not exactly a tenacious defender, Puckett has quickness issues, as does Key. You pull Key away from the basket, as everyone does or tries to do, and opponents are going to be taking the ball to the rim--a lot. Marta, Striplin = the same defensive issue.

What kind of defenders are Powell and Jackson? If they're not fairly quick/active and hard-working, I see the same problems the Vols had last year--opposing guards/forwards blowing past our defenders. Horston is not exactly a tenacious defender, Puckett has quickness issues, as does Key. You pull Key away from the basket, as everyone does or tries to do, and opponents are going to be taking the ball to the rim--a lot. Marta, Striplin = the same defensive issue.
You lost me at “Horston is not exactly a tenacious defender”……she’s one of the best defenders we have! 🥴

Do you watch women's basketball much? If not I would try YouTube. Them two are great defenders. Especially Jackson. She is long, rangy, and full of energy. They both stated in their interviews they love playing defense. They are up in your face aggressive defenders. We are loaded next season

🤐 do not say the name that must not be spoken! it's been quiet around here 👀😂

Several of these vol “fans” actually seem to be fans of other teams masquerading as Lady Vol fans on here so they don’t get booted. Just like you noted in the Burrell WNBA thread…seems quite a few don’t actually support the ladies when it counts but they are right in the middle of any negativity around here…

Several of these vol “fans” actually seem to be fans of other teams masquerading as Lady Vol fans on here so they don’t get booted. Just like you noted in the Burrell WNBA thread…seems quite a few don’t actually support the ladies when it counts but they are right in the middle of any negativity around here…

i wasn't trying to say anyone poster just was making an observation on what's already been talked about ...

Reactions: VolBall09
Wynn is the wildcard next season. She has to change that ugly shot she has, but her athleticism is on a level with any other player. If she finds the ability to be a consistent scorer she will play a lot next season. Or on the reverse not play a lot if she can't become a better shooter.

Wynn is the wildcard next season. She has to change that ugly shot she has, but her athleticism is on a level with any other player. If she finds the ability to be a consistent scorer she will play a lot next season. Or on the reverse not play a lot if she can't become a better shooter.
Hopefully, Kaiya will have a similar progression as Rae, getting better and better each season. We will see if Kiya makes that jump in her sophomore season, as I believe Kaiya will get more minutes to show that she is a budding LV superstar.

Hopefully, Kaiya will have a similar progression as Rae, getting better and better each season. We will see if Kiya makes that jump in her sophomore season, as I believe Kaiya will get more minutes to show that she is a budding LV superstar.
Well it is up to her cause she has huge competition for playing time. She has the athletic ability to be great we'll see if she can develop the basketball skills to be a factor.

You can see the challenges on the roster if Rivers becomes a Lady Vol that would be Rivers vs Wynn for the rotation although both could make it at someone's else expense. I can see Stripling and Suarez as the same player so who win that battle. Then you have four Puckett, Darby, and Pissott seemingly playing for a backup role to Jackson at the three position or one of them in as the three point shooter. Key right now has no competition at the five we certainly need to get her some. Horston looks like the two guard then you have Walker and maybe Justine also looking for time here. I think Powell will win the point guard and then there is Miles who will play some as well.

PG- Powell Miles
SG- Horston Walker Pissott Rennie
C- Key Striplin
PF- Puckett Suarez
WF-Jackson Rivers Wynn Darby

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back