More upgrades have officially started inside Neyland

still wish they would have added more seats in the same area and no chair chairbacks. would have been instantly louder, more fierce and more intimidating.

Decent chance field noise would’ve been better with the other guys idea, if they do it properly they could use the north and south end zone upper deck coverings to reverberate sound and make the field much louder with fewer butts in seats.

Decent chance field noise would’ve been better with the other guys idea, if they do it properly they could use the north and south end zone upper deck coverings to reverberate sound and make the field much louder with fewer butts in seats.
I like strength in numbers and the psychological affect of having a higher capacity stadium on paper. Neyland Stadium should hold more people than any other sporting stadium/arean on the planet

I like strength in numbers and the psychological affect of having a higher capacity stadium on paper. Neyland Stadium should hold more people than any other sporting stadium/arean on the planet

Realistically, Neyland Stadium is an 80-85,000 seat stadium that crams 100k+ into it from time to time. It has NEVER been a genuine 100K seat stadium like the big house at Michigan or Happy Valley.

Besides, Neyland didn't officially break the 100k mark until around 1996 I think. Are you telling me that before then, Neyland was this quaint, botanical garden of a stadium where peace and solace was enjoyed but by a few? Come on, don't be ridiculous! Neyland was just as loud and raucous in 1989 as it has been since then. A few thousand isn't going make much of a difference.

Reactions: Bret178 and AshG
Realistically, Neyland Stadium is an 80-85,000 seat stadium that crams 100k+ into it from time to time. It has NEVER been a genuine 100K seat stadium like the big house at Michigan or Happy Valley.

Besides, Neyland didn't officially break the 100k mark until around 1996 I think. Are you telling me that before then, Neyland was this quaint, botanical garden of a stadium where peace and solace was enjoyed but by a few? Come on, don't be ridiculous! Neyland was just as loud and raucous in 1989 as it has been since then. A few thousand isn't going make much of a difference.
I've never been to a game at Michigan ... but I have been to 3 games at Beaver Stadium. They cram people together every bit as much as Neyland does.

Realistically it's a 100k seat stadium because it has 100k seats. And the footprint of the stadium is what makes it better than Michigan and PSU. Michigan's stadium is basically flat. Ours goes up. That's like saying a 1-story 2000 sq ft building is designed to hold more people than a 2-story 2000sq ft building.

Realistically it's a 100k seat stadium because it has 100k seats. And the footprint of the stadium is what makes it better than Michigan and PSU. Michigan's stadium is basically flat. Ours goes up. That's like saying a 1-story 2000 sq ft building is designed to hold more people than a 2-story 2000sq ft building.

Pretty sure it doesn’t actually have 100k seats. Definitely not 102

I was using his wording but no stadium has as many seats as it's occupancy.

Agree everyone inflates the numbers, but he’s probably correct that Michigan actually holds over 100k fans while neyland is in reality upper 90’s. Doesn’t matter anyways, capacity bragging is dumb.

Reactions: volfaninky
Agree everyone inflates the numbers, but he’s probably correct that Michigan actually holds over 100k fans while neyland is in reality upper 90’s. Doesn’t matter anyways, capacity bragging is dumb.
I don't think it's dumb. I think it helps with recruiting and it's a point of pride that we can fill a stadium that big and 100 sounds better than 99k.

You know what I'm saying though. I'm talking about seating 100k people in there comfortably with proper spacing, wider concourses, and not having people on top of each other like sardines. It's not a 100k stadium in the sense that it wasn't built to properly accommodate that many people. Not because you can't GET 100k squeezed in there.

I also never said Neyland wasn't better than Michigan's stadium in terms of loudness. In terms of acoustics, yes I do believe Neyland is built to be much louder. That's why I'm not concerned in the least with Neyland being less loud because of the loss of a few thousand seats. 97,000 can be just as loud as 102,000. Look at Autzen Stadium in Oregon. It only seats like 60,000 and it's considered one of the loudest stadiums in college football.

Let's just call this what it really is. There are a lot of Vol fans who considered having a stadium with a six figured seating capacity as a point of pride and something to brag about. Now their egos are being bruised because they view downsizing as taking some kind of "L" which is ridiculous. Trying to make the argument that downsizing Neyland by a few thousand is going to somehow turn it into a library is asinine. If our team is successful on the field, Neyland will be every bit as loud, rude, and raucous as it ever was.

I don't think it's dumb. I think it helps with recruiting and it's a point of pride that we can fill a stadium that big and 100 sounds better than 99k.

LOL in 2022, recruits do not give a rat's ass about seating capacity. Again, I'll use Oregon as an example. Autzen seats 60,000. They don't seem to be having any issues with recruiting.

Last edited:
Lol recruits don’t give a fu** about capacity

Recruits don't, but a lot of fans do.

If we accept that Neyland's current 102,455 capacity is a reflection of estimated individuals present during a sellout as opposed to an actual seat count, then it stands to reason that finding a way to keep this capacity estimate above 100,000 (which seems, to me, as easy as simply picking a number greater than 100,000) would be a good move for Danny White.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

If we accept that Neyland's current 102,455 capacity is a reflection of estimated individuals present during a sellout as opposed to an actual seat count, then it stands to reason that finding a way to keep this capacity estimate above 100,000 (which seems, to me, as easy as simply picking a number greater than 100,000) would be a good move for Danny White.

I’d wager most fans don’t care about being above 100k these days. Given the choice, between 100k or a better game day environment with actual seats, bet you more would choose environment. Which is why seats have been taken out to improve our game day experience in the stadium this very off season.

I’d wager most fans don’t care about being above 100k these days. Given the choice, between 100k or a better game day environment with actual seats, bet you more would choose environment. Which is why seats have been taken out to improve our game day experience in the stadium this very off season.
Nothing compares to the in house game experience. Many times in my life have the roars of the crowd and pounding of feet left many to believe the stadium was coming down on top of them. As a fan you get use to it but opposing teams are often shocked at the constant roar of the crowd.... An environment unmatched.
Proven to be a great recruiting tool...

Reactions: feathersax

I’d wager to say that many if not most fans that actually buy season tickets and attend games would prefer them cut it down under 100k so that Tammy Lynn doesn’t get her seat and mine too.

Reactions: 615vols

There's a large contingent of fans in all of these renovation threads who are outspoken regarding their desire to have Neyland's listed capacity remain above 100,000 and, if it's simply an issue of keeping an already-estimated number above 100,000, there's no reason that Danny White can't do some quick math (seat decrease being slightly offset by Social Deck SRO capacity/increased concessions employees/more customer service and medical staff) to keep posted capacity in the six digit range.

You might be wrong about the "most fans" bit.

The vast majority of Tennessee fans only irregularly attend games in person. It's just math: there are millions (probably between 4m and 10m, but no one knows for sure) Volunteers fans worldwide. That's somewhere between a 40-to-1 and 100-to-1 ratio of TV watchers to Neyland watchers.

And not a single one of those TV watchers care too much about how tight the seating is. The more the merrier, from their perspective. And 100,000 is just a number, but it's one of those boundary numbers that carry outsized significance.

In the entire world, there are only about a dozen sports stadiums (for any sport) that hold above 100k. Being in that small group has some cache.

And I don't know how recruits feel about it, I've never talked with any of them to find out, but I certainly know it's one of the talking points the university uses with them. Play in front of 102,455 screaming crazed fans who are there to support YOU.

So yeah...you'd probably lose that wager. Most Vols fans do care, even if only mildly for some.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

Nah, most don’t care. They’re literally reducing capacity as we speak. They have to improve the experience to make the cost worth it compared to watching at home in 4k. Chairbacks will happen eventually. I know a lot of older fans feel a sense of pride in bragging about our stadium claiming over 100k, but no one else cares. And give me a break on recruits. Recruiting is about $, and nfl potential. Not stadium capacity lol…

I’d wager to say that many if not most fans that actually buy season tickets and attend games would prefer them cut it down under 100k so that Tammy Lynn doesn’t get her seat and mine too.

I agree. This was our experience when we had season tickets in FF. Obese people sitting in half our seats on each side, people digging their knees in your back because of the 6 inches of space between rows, and rusty metal and piss troughs lol.

There's a large contingent of fans in all of these renovation threads who are outspoken regarding their desire to have Neyland's listed capacity remain above 100,000 and, if it's simply an issue of keeping an already-estimated number above 100,000, there's no reason that Danny White can't do some quick math (seat decrease being slightly offset by Social Deck SRO capacity/increased concessions employees/more customer service and medical staff) to keep posted capacity in the six digit range.

Yeah I mean I’m sure they can pretend the stadium holds over 100k if it makes people feel proud or whatever, they do that now. But I think the reality is that the capacity will continue to shrink while they try to improve the game day experience, because most care more about that than bragging about fake numbers.

Reactions: JacketVol
Seems like there are always 25K people in line in the west concourse getting food and drinks 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: JacketVol
Nah, most don’t care. They’re literally reducing capacity as we speak. They have to improve the experience to make the cost worth it compared to watching at home in 4k. Chairbacks will happen eventually. I know a lot of older fans feel a sense of pride in bragging about our stadium claiming over 100k, but no one else cares. And give me a break on recruits. Recruiting is about $, and nfl potential. Not stadium capacity lol…
That highlighted bit, though....

This is what's wrong with Gen Z and part of the Millennials. Throughout history, until them, younger folks used to appreciate the insights and wisdom earned by hard life experience. They didn't necessarily agree, but they at least listened to and learned from those who came before, who had seen and experienced more than they.

But not you, right? It's all "okay, Boomer" for you, isn't it?

That highlighted bit, though....

This is what's wrong with Gen Z and part of the Millennials. Throughout history, until them, younger folks used to appreciate the insights and wisdom earned by hard life experience. They didn't necessarily agree, but they at least listened to and learned from those who came before, who had seen and experienced more than they.

But not you, right? It's all "okay, Boomer" for you, isn't it?

Sounds like a boomer struggling to grapple with their diminishing importance in the world.

I agree. This was our experience when we had season tickets in FF. Obese people sitting in half our seats on each side, people digging their knees in your back because of the 6 inches of space between rows, and rusty metal and piss troughs lol.
that causes you to be pissed and to stand the whole game. exactly.what we need. not chairbacks

VN Store

Back