More upgrades have officially started inside Neyland

That highlighted bit, though....

This is what's wrong with Gen Z and part of the Millennials. Throughout history, until them, younger folks used to appreciate the insights and wisdom earned by hard life experience. They didn't necessarily agree, but they at least listened to and learned from those who came before, who had seen and experienced more than they.

But not you, right? It's all "okay, Boomer" for you, isn't it?

It’s all about “the feelings” with you, isn’t it? Not everything in life is some “listen to your elders” moment, nor is there wisdom to be found in every thought from an elder. And bragging about stadium capacity is one of them. You can deny it all you want, but the reality is happening before your eyes. We are literally reducing capacity at the moment to guess what… improve game day experience and modernize. Joe Biden and all those dopes in Washington are elders too, how much are you liking their “ wisdom” right now lol..

Reactions: kcvols1
Tell me, are we currently in the process of removing seats and modernizing the stadium to improve game day experience? Sounds like you may be struggling to accept reality. I’m sure when the current renovations are done the pretend announced number will still be like 100k so people like you don’t have a stroke on us though.

I think you quoted the wrong person?

We are literally reducing capacity at the moment to guess what… improve game day experience and modernize.

To be clear, Tennessee is reducing capacity to maximize profits over a long-term window. I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad move given how drastically the in-home viewing experience has improved since the first capacity decreases back in 2006, which in turn bears at least some responsibility for dwindling attendance alongside program mismanagement and increased game day costs, but a trendy social deck and additional legroom for a limited number of attendees doesn’t necessarily equate a better overall game day experience.

Reactions: murfvol1
To be clear, Tennessee is reducing capacity to maximize profits over a long-term window. I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad move given how drastically the in-home viewing experience has improved since the first capacity decreases back in 2006, which in turn bears at least some responsibility for dwindling attendance alongside program mismanagement and increased game day costs, but a trendy social deck and additional legroom for a limited number of attendees doesn’t necessarily equate a better overall game day experience.

It’s not a bad move at all. I think all of these things they’re doing are great, even the light show deal they added and the vols signs eventually returning. Need to keep modernizing neyland, it has become way behind other venues in many areas.

Reactions: b_gann and AshG
We shall see, I know several season ticket holders that have been grandfathered in until this year now must pay a seat fee. The excitement of Heupel and Bama and Florida coming here tipped the scales toward renewal. A 9 or 10 win season might be required to sell as many season tickets next year

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I’d rather pray for the wisdom to recognize it and not force my opinions on everyone else while blindly saying “obey your elders”.
We should all pray we don’t force our opinions on others

We should all pray we don’t force our opinions on others
Excepting involuntary hypnosis (probably not a real thing) and brainwashing (definitely a real thing), it is impossible for any of us to force our opinions on others.

Even tyrants lack that ability. They can dominate people into obedience, affect their behaviors, but can't touch their beliefs. Not against a person's will.

Only the weak-willed need fear such a thing, because they voluntarily surrender their own viewpoints to those around them.

Generally speaking, only the younger generation today widely show fear of ideas, 'cancel' discussions (and whole people), stifle debate. This is the source of 'cancel culture,' and is a serious weakness in society today.

But what do I know, I'm just a Boomer. :)

Last edited:
Excepting involuntary hypnosis (probably not a real thing) and brainwashing (definitely a real thing), it is impossible for any of us to force our opinions on others.

Even tyrants lack that ability. They can dominate people into obedience, affect their behaviors, but can't touch their beliefs. Not against a person's will.

Only the weak-willed need fear such a thing, because they voluntarily surrender their own viewpoints to those around them.

Generally speaking, only the younger generation today widely show fear of ideas, 'cancel' discussions (and whole people), stifle debate. This is the source of 'cancel culture,' and is a serious weakness in society today.

But what do I know, I'm just a Boomer. :)

Everyone is well aware

You know what I'm saying though. I'm talking about seating 100k people in there comfortably with proper spacing, wider concourses, and not having people on top of each other like sardines. It's not a 100k stadium in the sense that it wasn't built to properly accommodate that many people. Not because you can't GET 100k squeezed in there.

I also never said Neyland wasn't better than Michigan's stadium in terms of loudness. In terms of acoustics, yes I do believe Neyland is built to be much louder. That's why I'm not concerned in the least with Neyland being less loud because of the loss of a few thousand seats. 97,000 can be just as loud as 102,000. Look at Autzen Stadium in Oregon. It only seats like 60,000 and it's considered one of the loudest stadiums in college football.

Let's just call this what it really is. There are a lot of Vol fans who considered having a stadium with a six figured seating capacity as a point of pride and something to brag about. Now their egos are being bruised because they view downsizing as taking some kind of "L" which is ridiculous. Trying to make the argument that downsizing Neyland by a few thousand is going to somehow turn it into a library is asinine. If our team is successful on the field, Neyland will be every bit as loud, rude, and raucous as it ever was.

LOL in 2022, recruits do not give a rat's ass about seating capacity. Again, I'll use Oregon as an example. Autzen seats 60,000. They don't seem to be having any issues with recruiting.
97k is a lot different than 80k with all chairbacks. And Oregon recruits well due to things that separate them from teams on the west coast like facilities, uniforms, etc. Not to mention they've been winning. I didn't say stadium size was the only reason a recruit would commit here but it is one point that can help make us unique.

Neyland is always gonna rock and we’re gonna be packing it out pretty good in the years to come. We needed to modernize the stadium some especially bathrooms and concourses. I am glad we are staying around a 102 thousand capacity. I am glad we are bringing back some of the old Vol Signs to flank the Jumbotron you can modernize and keep and add traditional things as well as new. Having comfortable seating will also make the fan have more energy, I like the open area that will be coming at some point. Neyland is always going to be a loud rowdy place. GBO!!!!

We shall see, I know several season ticket holders that have been grandfathered in until this year now must pay a seat fee. The excitement of Heupel and Bama and Florida coming here tipped the scales toward renewal. A 9 or 10 win season might be required to sell as many season tickets next year
The grandfathered tickets existed since 1986. It was well past time to end that and have everyone pay the same amount for the same seats.

Those who had grandfathered tickets might want to remember the past 35 years when they weren't paying market value for their seats.

Reactions: AllVolinGA
My father was one of the original grandfathered ticket holders in section E. He died in 2014 and my mother died in 2021 so the ending nor the move was not too much of a surprise. I had purchased 2 tickets of my own for several years in F. Moving to section D at the new price means I`ll only buy 2 tickets but really look forward to this season.

You might be wrong about the "most fans" bit.

The vast majority of Tennessee fans only irregularly attend games in person. It's just math: there are millions (probably between 4m and 10m, but no one knows for sure) Volunteers fans worldwide. That's somewhere between a 40-to-1 and 100-to-1 ratio of TV watchers to Neyland watchers.

And not a single one of those TV watchers care too much about how tight the seating is. The more the merrier, from their perspective. And 100,000 is just a number, but it's one of those boundary numbers that carry outsized significance.

In the entire world, there are only about a dozen sports stadiums (for any sport) that hold above 100k. Being in that small group has some cache.

And I don't know how recruits feel about it, I've never talked with any of them to find out, but I certainly know it's one of the talking points the university uses with them. Play in front of 102,455 screaming crazed fans who are there to support YOU.

So yeah...you'd probably lose that wager. Most Vols fans do care, even if only mildly for some.

Go Vols!
Naw

The grandfathered tickets existed since 1986. It was well past time to end that and have everyone pay the same amount for the same seats.

Those who had grandfathered tickets might want to remember the past 35 years when they weren't paying market value for their seats.

I am one of those that was grandfathered in due to my contributions to the University thru the Alumni Association, and whose tickets now cost 33% more. Not sure your definition of market value, but with all the empty seats, the product on the field most years, and the cost of the tickets on the street before a game, all season ticket holders were paying above market value.

Reactions: Wireless1
Nothing compares to the in house game experience. Many times in my life have the roars of the crowd and pounding of feet left many to believe the stadium was coming down on top of them. As a fan you get use to it but opposing teams are often shocked at the constant roar of the crowd.... An environment unmatched.
Proven to be a great recruiting tool...

Damn Skippy !!! You're not supposed to be sitting down anyway.. you are supposed to be standing ... yelling at the top of your lungs... giving your all.....creating an intimidating hostile environment for the opposing team to exist in.... and who gives two damns about what they do if freakin Autzen Stadium.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Damn Skippy !!! You're not supposed to be sitting down anyway.. you are supposed to be standing ... yelling at the top of your lungs... giving your all.....creating an intimidating hostile environment for the opposing team to exist in.... and who gives two damns about what they do if freakin Autzen Stadium.
Huh? Check your Quoted Msg....wrong Quote I do believe....

Last edited:
Reactions: Sudden Impact
Neyland is always gonna rock and we’re gonna be packing it out pretty good in the years to come. We needed to modernize the stadium some especially bathrooms and concourses. I am glad we are staying around a 102 thousand capacity. I am glad we are bringing back some of the old Vol Signs to flank the Jumbotron you can modernize and keep and add traditional things as well as new. Having comfortable seating will also make the fan have more energy, I like the open area that will be coming at some point. Neyland is always going to be a loud rowdy place. GBO!!!!

Huh? Do you know something I don't? It was my understanding that the new renovations would bring Neyland's capacity below 100,000. Did Danny White announce something about that?

Given the price of fuel by September, I anticipate we'll see a lot of bus packages, even if tickets are not part of the package.

I wonder if the new traffic patterns to the stadium can handle those increased numbers?

VN Store

Back