Mike Leach accepted the UT Job, then we withdrew the offer... Let that sink in

Based on where you and Rickyvol are setting the goalposts, going by conference titles and bowl wins, Butch Jones is a better coach than Jeremy Pruitt, so we should fire Pruitt and rehire Butch.
No, Washington State should acknowledge their failed experiment and hire Butch. At least he can recruit.

Reactions: Behr and AM64
Don’t waste your time, with some people they aren’t wrong if the never admit it. Hates Leach so he sucks, that’s all.
Don’t hate Leach. Was fine with the hire when I thought it was a done deal and a little bitter towards Fulmer. Turns out our AD kept a level head and did right by the program. This whole thread is the byproduct of Shoulda Hired This Guy Syndrome after the disappointing start to the season. Those still justifying it aren’t above inventing facts as their boat sinks. Leach is fun and quotable but doesn’t build legacy programs. Don’t know if Pruitt will, but I like the odds better.

I'm sure it does. Moral victories and participation trophy's are for "fans" like you.
Not accepting the existence of anything positive going forward puts you in a special category. Old bitter sniping “realist” with a BOO pennant. Enjoy the bile you suck out of your own teet.

Reactions: Behr
Sure but some people can't be a Vols fan AND admit that anyone other than Pruitt can coach ball. Hell, I bet Leach wouldn't have lost to Ga State.
False flag.

Lotta of good, some even great coaches out there that could come to Tennessee and win, just not many available or willing when we hired Pruitt. But that isn’t the argument.....the argument is how well Leach would do at Tennessee or any top flight P5 or SEC school. But we’re never gonna know because none of those teams are ever gonna hire him.

He’s a colorful guy and a great offensive mind, and that’s about it. You can speculate that he would’ve been amazing at Tennessee, but the proof and evidence of his career strongly suggests otherwise. And yeah, he probably would’ve lost to GaState seeing as how he has two 3 win seasons in 8 years at Washington State on his resume.

Not accepting the existence of anything positive going forward puts you in a special category. Old bitter sniping “realist” with a BOO pennant. Enjoy the bile you suck out of your own teet.
Lol. You keep harping on not accepting something positive. I never complained about the defense, thats something you've fabricated in your own little world. Not sure what a "BOO pennant" is but then again I'm not drinking prune juice and Geritol cocktails.

Sure but some people can't be a Vols fan AND admit that anyone other than Pruitt can coach ball. Hell, I bet Leach wouldn't have lost to Ga State.
Haven't you heard?? If you don't support Pruitt 110% then you're a Bama plant and should root for someone else! Blind faith only!!

The internet is a great place to see how people like Jim Jones was able to thrive..

Reactions: JuicyBrucey
Programs like Alabama, Tennessee, Southern Cal, Oklahoma, and Ohio State should win more games than programs like Vandy, Mississippi State, Washington State, Texas Tech, and Northwestern regardless of which conference they’re in.
That has nothing to do about what he would faired in the SEC. He is a failed lawyer trying to coach football. His team this year , in his 5th year at WSU is worse than our 2nd year coach who started with a dumpster fire for a team. That jerk is where he needs to be.

Reactions: AM64 and Rickyvol77
Haven't you heard?? If you don't support Pruitt 110% then you're a Bama plant and should root for someone else! Blind faith only!!

The internet is a great place to see how people like Jim Jones was able to thrive..

Such fans have been on the internet for as long as the internet has been around. It's okay to acknowledge that Steve Spurrier was a good coach, Urban Meyer was a good coach, and Dan Mullen is a good coach without putting on jorts and being a Florida fan, but some of our fans do the thing where they say, "Then maybe you should start pulling for Florida if you think they're good coaches!!!" It's impossible to acknowledge that Saban is a good coach, or Swinney is a good coach, or James Franklin, or even coordinators like Bud Foster without some fans taking it as a personal slight against whoever is coaching the Vols at the time, whether it's Fulmer, Kiffin, Derek Dooley, Butch, or Pruitt. It's comical, especially since there can be more than one good coach. It isn't mutually exclusive where saying one coach is good means another one is incompetent. There can be multiple good coaches out there, but some fans go, "Stop saying Dabo is competent! I'm happy with Pruitt!" as if Dabo's good coaching has any bearing on whether Pruitt is or isn't competent himself.

Such fans have been on the internet for as long as the internet has been around. It's okay to acknowledge that Steve Spurrier was a good coach, Urban Meyer was a good coach, and Dan Mullen is a good coach without putting on jorts and being a Florida fan, but some of our fans do the thing where they say, "Then maybe you should start pulling for Florida if you think they're good coaches!!!" It's impossible to acknowledge that Saban is a good coach, or Swinney is a good coach, or James Franklin, or even coordinators like Bud Foster without some fans taking it as a personal slight against whoever is coaching the Vols at the time, whether it's Fulmer, Kiffin, Derek Dooley, Butch, or Pruitt. It's comical, especially since there can be more than one good coach. It isn't mutually exclusive where saying one coach is good means another one is incompetent. There can be multiple good coaches out there, but some fans go, "Stop saying Dabo is competent! I'm happy with Pruitt!" as if Dabo's good coaching has any bearing on whether Pruitt is or isn't competent himself.
Some fans live vicariously through all things UT. So to acknowledge that the team and/or coaches are anything less than omnipotent is in their minds you slighting them. Another reason I only go to bowl games, I find they have less of the crazies.

Don’t hate Leach. Was fine with the hire when I thought it was a done deal and a little bitter towards Fulmer. Turns out our AD kept a level head and did right by the program. This whole thread is the byproduct of Shoulda Hired This Guy Syndrome after the disappointing start to the season. Those still justifying it aren’t above inventing facts as their boat sinks. Leach is fun and quotable but doesn’t build legacy programs. Don’t know if Pruitt will, but I like the odds better.
Leach is entertaining. I think his eccentricities and unpredictability have cost him consideration at big time programs. I didn’t think he was a good fit for Tennessee. I think he would have success at the right program.
Personality fit is very important in my mind. I think UCLA would have been right. If I was Miami or FSU I’d look him up.

Reactions: kbear01
That has nothing to do about what he would faired in the SEC. He is a failed lawyer trying to coach football. His team this year , in his 5th year at WSU is worse than our 2nd year coach who started with a dumpster fire for a team. That jerk is where he needs to be.

Pruitt stepped into an easier job at Tennessee than Leach did at Texas Tech and Washington State.

When Leach was hired at Texas Tech, Texas Tech had finished ranked only seven times in its entire 75 year history. Texas Tech finished ranked in five of Leach's last six seasons there. Tommy Tuberville took over after Leach was fired and finished unranked in all three of his seasons there. That shows how hard it is to win at Texas Tech. Tommy Tuberville went undefeated at Auburn in 2004 and finished with a 52-30 SEC record, but he had losing conference records in all three seasons at Texas Tech. The last time Texas Tech finished the season ranked was Leach's final season.

Leach stepped into an even bigger rebuilding job at Washington State. The previous coach's record was 9-40 and Washington State had gone eight straight years without a bowl. The program's only Rose Bowl win was in 1915, but people think winning at Washington State is as easy as winning at Southern Cal. Going 11-2 at Washington State, even if it was two seasons ago and not this season, is quite good. That's the program's only eleven win season. He hasn't taken WSU to the Rose Bowl, but in Washington State's 125 year history, Mike Leach has taken the Washington State Cougars to 37.5% of the bowls they've ever played in.

Pruitt stepped into a program that won three bowl games in the previous four seasons before he was hired and finished ranked two of the previous three seasons before he was hired. Plus, it's a lot easier to recruit players to Tennessee than it is to Texas Tech and Washington State. Look at the history of the programs. Look at the stadiums. Look at Pullman and Lubbock on the map. Those towns are a thousand miles from nowhere and coaches have to develop three star recruits in order to compete with the teams with four and five star recruits. There's a reason why Washington State hasn't won a Rose Bowl in over 100 years and Tuberville couldn't replicate his Auburn success at Texas Tech. It's so hard to win at those schools. It's rarely done.

And again, saying Leach is a good coach doesn't mean that Pruitt is a bad coach. It actually is possible for both of them to be excellent football coaches. It isn't the mutually exclusive, either/or scenario a lot of people on here are making it out to be. I think they're both good coaches. I feel like Leach probably has a better mind for the game, but Pruitt is probably the better head coach since he's smart enough to surround himself with capable assistants on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:
It can not be argued that Mike Leach is offensive genius and a good coach. He and Mumme revolutionized the game. He has accomplished amazing things with lesser talent.
WSU is probably one of the most difficult FBS programs to be successful. He has been their most successful coach ever. They never have winning seasons, Mike Price had a few good years there but that’s it.
This year he lost his starting qb to suicide. And still won half his games. If he were to ever coach at a top program he would adapt his coaching as he has always done and exceed expectations.
As far as Tennessee, I don’t think his personality would have been a fit. But Lord help us all if he ever gets elite talent.
1. Sure looks like, after 18 seasons as a D1 head coach, that he’s never gonna that shot to coach at a “top program”.....cause none of the top programs want him as their head coach. Wonder why?

2. If he can’t pull any “elite talent” after 18 years of coaching where he’s shown to be an offensive genius in the Big 12 and PAC-12, why should anybody believe he’d do it in the SEC, at Tennessee, recruiting against Florida, Georgia, Auburn, LSU and Alabama?

I get it. Similar to what BDP posted. LSU has the #9 defense in the SEC. Leach could win this conference. JMO, of course.
If he had Joe Burrow, and that supporting cast, on offense, then yeah. But, LSU's success come from being somewhat balanced, in their play-calling. I realize the bulk of the yardage comes through the air. But, LSU consistently pounds the ball at you, and forces you to respect their run game. Which opens up the downfield passing attack.
I refer back to a 96 UT team, that decided to go just 60-40 pass to run ratio. That team underachieved, and was soft, offensively. The defense took a beating, due to being on the field too much. A team, full of future pros, only managed 10-2, losing to Florida and Memphis. Had that team been slightly more balanced, and featured Jay Graham, a bit more, I feel they could've been undefeated. But, we bought into the hype, and pushed the Peyton Manning Heisman Campaign, and sacrificed a possible title shot. JMO, of course.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Lol. You keep harping on not accepting something positive. I never complained about the defense, thats something you've fabricated in your own little world. Not sure what a "BOO pennant" is but then again I'm not drinking prune juice and Geritol cocktails.
Crapping on the Mississippi State wIn is crapping on the defensive effort that won it. And you’ve never read ME crow about competing with Alabama so that’s YOUR strawman...you PHONY. It took a while to get there, but this staff got the best out of this team by the end of the season. But Great Fan On A Board with his belly hanging out and smoking a cig feels it’s too late to appreciate that, so anyone who does isn’t a “real fan”. Wallow in your misery and pray it keeps sucking enough so you can keep this pathetic act going.

Reactions: Behr
Pruitt stepped into an easier job at Tennessee than Leach did at Texas Tech and Washington State.

When Leach was hired at Texas Tech, Texas Tech had finished ranked only seven times in its entire 75 year history. Texas Tech finished ranked in five of Leach's last six seasons there. Tommy Tuberville took over after Leach was fired and finished unranked in all three of his seasons there. That shows how hard it is to win at Texas Tech. Tommy Tuberville went undefeated at Auburn in 2004 and finished with a 52-30 SEC record, but he had losing conference records in all three seasons at Texas Tech. The last time Texas Tech finished the season ranked was Leach's final season.

Leach stepped into an even bigger rebuilding job at Washington State. The previous coach's record was 9-40 and Washington State had gone eight straight years without a bowl. The program's only Rose Bowl win was in 1915, but people think winning at Washington State is as easy as winning at Southern Cal. Going 11-2 at Washington State, even if it was two seasons ago and not this season, is quite good. That's the program's only eleven win season. He hasn't taken WSU to the Rose Bowl, but in Washington State's 125 year history, Mike Leach has taken the Washington State Cougars to 37.5% of the bowls they've ever played in.

Pruitt stepped into a program that won three bowl games in the previous four seasons before he was hired and finished ranked two of the previous three seasons before he was hired. Plus, it's a lot easier to recruit players to Tennessee than it is to Texas Tech and Washington State. Look at the history of the programs. Look at the stadiums. Look at Pullman and Lubbock on the map. Those towns are a thousand miles from nowhere and coaches have to develop three star recruits in order to compete with the teams with four and five star recruits. There's a reason why Washington State hasn't won a Rose Bowl in over 100 years and Tuberville couldn't replicate his Auburn success at Texas Tech. It's so hard to win at those schools. It's rarely done.

And again, saying Leach is a good coach doesn't mean that Pruitt is a bad coach. It actually is possible for both of them to be excellent football coaches. It isn't the mutually exclusive, either/or scenario a lot of people on here are making it out to be. I think they're both good coaches. I feel like Leach probably has a better mind for the game, but Pruitt is probably the better head coach since he's smart enough to surround himself with capable assistants on both sides of the ball.
Put this on a Texas Tech board and don't clutter our board with this nonsense.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

While I agree, to certain degree, I'd also point out that expectations at Tech were, and still are, much lower, than UT. 8 win seasons will keep you around for a while, at Tech. consistent 8 win season, in Knoxville, will get you run out of town.
So, while it is more difficult to win, at Tech. The expected level of consistent winning in Knoxville, is much higher. To get to that level, again, is a painful process, of hiring great assistants, and recruiting great players, up and down the roster.
Leach, could never attract great RB's, at Tech. Because they knew they would be role players, and pass catchers. However, he did attract some blockbuster WR's and QB's. Pruitt will attract and recruit players to fit his scheme, of balanced, efficient offense, and aggressive, disruptive play-makers, on defense.
Is this the formula for success? It was, once. I am no longer sure. LSU seems to be doing quite well. But, even they aren't as pass happy, as Leach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickyvol77
Put this on a Texas Tech board and don't clutter our board with this nonsense.

You're right. I need to get with the program here.

2007: "Stop sayin' Saban's is a good coach. Our coach is the Great Pumpkin, the ONLY good coach!"
2008: "Fahr Fulmer!"
2009: "Stop sayin' Urban Meyer's a good coach. Our coach is Lane the Great, the ONLY good one!"
2010: "Kiffin's leavin'? Whar's my couch and lighter fluid??! That no good sumbitch!!!"
2011: "Stop sayin' Gary Patterson's a good coach. Our coach is Derek the Great, the ONLY good coach!"
2012: "Fahr Dooley!"
2013: "Stop sayin' Dabo Swinney's a good coach. Our coach is Butch the Great, the ONLY good coach!"
2014: "Brick by brick!!! Brick by brick!!! Brick by brick!!! Brick by brick!!! Brick by brick!!! Brick by brick!!!"
2015: "See, I told you so!!!"
2016: "Champions of Life, baby, YEAH!!! Butch, we love thee!!! Butch, we praise thee!!!"
2017: "Leadership reps!!! Five star hearts!!! Leadership reps!!! Five star hearts!!! Leadership reps!!!"
Later in 2017: "Fahr Butch!!!"
2018: "Stop sayin' Mike Leach is a good coach. Our coach is Jeremy the Great, the ONLY good coach in college football history since Neyland!"
2019: "See, I told you so!"

Reactions: I40flyer
Leach is entertaining. I think his eccentricities and unpredictability have cost him consideration at big time programs. I didn’t think he was a good fit for Tennessee. I think he would have success at the right program.
Personality fit is very important in my mind. I think UCLA would have been right. If I was Miami or FSU I’d look him up.
Honestly, I was more than a little excited to hear that Mike Leach was about to be hired. But, after the initial excitement, my very next thought was "Who the hell is coming in as defensive coordinator?" And, "He'd better better be a freakin' magician".

I'd have to say that the shine is a bit off CML after this season. I'm still a fan, but he's going to need to show he can work a turnaround in the post-Minshew era (so to speak)

While I agree, to certain degree, I'd also point out that expectations at Tech were, and still are, much lower, than UT. 8 win seasons will keep you around for a while, at Tech. consistent 8 win season, in Knoxville, will get you run out of town.
So, while it is more difficult to win, at Tech. The expected level of consistent winning in Knoxville, is much higher. To get to that level, again, is a painful process, of hiring great assistants, and recruiting great players, up and down the roster.
Leach, could never attract great RB's, at Tech. Because they knew they would be role players, and pass catchers. However, he did attract some blockbuster WR's and QB's. Pruitt will attract and recruit players to fit his scheme, of balanced, efficient offense, and aggressive, disruptive play-makers, on defense.
Is this the formula for success? It was, once. I am no longer sure. LSU seems to be doing quite well. But, even they aren't as pass happy, as Leach.
What is crazy is Texas Tech fires a coach that the Arizona Cardinals hires. Get fired as a College HC then get hired as a NFL coach.

Reactions: kbear01
You're right. I need to get with the program here.

2007: "Stop sayin' Saban's is a good coach. Our coach is the Great Pumpkin, the ONLY good coach!"
2008: "Fahr Fulmer!"
2009: "Stop sayin' Urban Meyer's a good coach. Our coach is Lane the Great, the ONLY good one!"
2010: "Kiffin's leavin'? Whar's my couch and lighter fluid??! That no good sumbitch!!!"
2011: "Stop sayin' Gary Patterson's a good coach. Our coach is Derek the Great, the ONLY good coach!"
2012: "Fahr Dooley!"
2013: "Stop sayin' Dabo Swinney's a good coach. Our coach is Butch the Great, the ONLY good coach!"
2014: "Brick by brick!!! Brick by brick!!! Brick by brick!!! Brick by brick!!! Brick by brick!!! Brick by brick!!!"
2015: "See, I told you so!!!"
2016: "Champions of Life, baby, YEAH!!! Butch, we love thee!!! Butch, we praise thee!!!"
2017: "Leadership reps!!! Five star hearts!!! Leadership reps!!! Five star hearts!!! Leadership reps!!!"
Later in 2017: "Fahr Butch!!!"
2018: "Stop sayin' Mike Leach is a good coach. Our coach is Jeremy the Great, the ONLY good coach in college football history since Neyland!"
2019: "See, I told you so!"
Coulda just wrote “I’m a ragin troll” instead of proving it in chronological order. 😏

Or a Georgia, or a Florida, or a Kentucky ...

VN Store

Back