Mike Leach accepted the UT Job, then we withdrew the offer... Let that sink in

I generally agree with your assessment of ML, but the fact is he did win a three way tie for big 12 championship when he had Harrell and Crabtree.
My bad. They only tied for Big 12 South title, so your comment was accurate that he never won conference titles

BYU ran the run and shoot, Air Raid combined the vertical stretches of Sid Gilliam with horizontal stretch concepts in the run and shoot. Who ran no completely no huddle offense before Air Raid? But meth cures cancer, Google it.
BYU’s offense was wide open but nowhere near the run and shoot. South Carolina before they joined the SEC were the first I remember during that timeframe until UH went all in.

And the Buffalo Bills were doing the no huddle as their main offense before it took off in college, and even they stole most of the concepts from Sam Wyche’s Bengals.

Leach has had a long and distinguished/controversial career....
There's no doubt that he knows how to sling the FB all over the field....

But he's NEVER been part of ANY coaching staff as a contributing factor/force in leading a team to be champions...THAT DOES MATTER!

And, as someone else has already said, he has failed to lead either Texas Tech or Wash. State to a conference championship game!!!!

And I'm not just picking on Leach because he went 6-6 this year....
I've always pointed out Leach's deficiencies on this site
He has had poor results in the PAC-12 against the better programs....
He's nothing more than a dang novelty in the game of FB....funny to watch if he isn't YOUR COACH!

You just have to be completely STUPID to ever think that Leach could lead ANY SEC program to a conference championship.

I’m sure someone probably said he would/could.....but I didn’t.

I also stated during the coaching search that I didn’t want him at Tennessee....I preferred someone else.

BYU’s offense was wide open but nowhere near the run and shoot. South Carolina before they joined the SEC were the first I remember during that timeframe until UH went all in.

And the Buffalo Bills were doing the no huddle as their main offense before it took off in college, and even they stole most of the concepts from Sam Wyche’s Bengals.
Wrong. Mumme and Leach were running the no huddle before the Bills. In the 80’s.

I'd rather had Leach than Dooley or Butch. He would have brought excitement and fun for a little while. With a good DC he could have won a lot of games at UT.

Reactions: JuicyBrucey
Gosh I would have loved to have him.
I can be entertained by him wherever he’s coaching, I want wins, and I don’t see him doing that in the SEC as it appears most of the AD in the SEC agree since he doesn’t have a job here

So you're gonna compare him to the worse 10 year stretch in Tennessee history, OK then.
Leach became a head coach in Lubbock, TX just two years after Tennessee won a national title. Tennessee had every conceivable advantage and still has been worse than Mike Leach during his tenure in Lubbock & Pullman.

Leach became a head coach in Lubbock, TX just two years after Tennessee won a national title. Tennessee had every conceivable advantage and still has been worse than Mike Leach during his tenure in Lubbock & Pullman.

Wow.

Turn that on it's head. And it says this instead:

The Vols lived through the darkest decade in our program's history, flitting through 5 head coaches ... and still almost performed as well as Mike Leach in the years he coached:

Vols, '00-''09 and '12-19 : 134 wins, 92 losses
Leach, '00-'09 and '12-'19 : 139 wins, 90 losses

That is not a shining endorsement of Mike Leach.

Something to aspire towards. Better than worse. He has two 3 win 9 loss seasons since 2012. The one 8 loss season in our program’s history was deemed devastating...perspective.

He might have done well here, but he has had losing seasons in 4 of his 8 years at WSU. In 2018, he had a great year going 11-2 and finished in the top ten. He has a 36-37 record in the PAC-12 and is 2-4 in bowl games while in the PAC-12.

They started running it at Valdosta State in 89. Bengals and Bills started in 87.
Maybe the Bengals but not Buffalo. The Bills didn’t start using the no huddle offense until the 1990 season. They did it because during the previous seasons playoff game against Cleveland they got down and had to resort to using a no huddle offense in an attempt to come back. An assistant coach suggested after the game that they make the no huddle offense their primary offense in 1990. So the K Gun offense was born.

Reactions: rikberry31
Maybe the Bengals but not Buffalo. The Bills didn’t start using the no huddle offense until the 1990 season. They did it because during the previous seasons playoff game against Cleveland they got down and had to resort to using a no huddle offense in an attempt to come back. An assistant coach suggested after the game that they make the no huddle offense their primary offense in 1990. So the K Gun offense was born.
Bills started tinkering in 88. Went with it full time by 89 and made the Super Bowl with it in 91.

Last edited:
Bills started tinkering in 87. Went with it full time by 89 and made the Super Bowl with it in 90.
No they didn’t go with it full time in 89. I’ll trust Marv Levy over you. In fact it wasn’t until December 1990 that they went with the full no huddle. Take your L.

No they didn’t go with it full time in 89. I’ll trust Marv Levy over you. In fact it wasn’t until December 1990 that they went with the full no huddle. Take your L.
Get him on the line or I’ll just chalk it up to you misunderstanding the timeline.

Playing a much easier schedule he still goes 6-7 and plays in the Galleryfurniture and Cheez it bowls where he almost always loses. What an accomplishment. He’s had 3 seasons where he had 2-3 loss seasons instead of his usual 4-9 loss seasons. And STILL no real program will even sniff giving him a chance. Because he sucks. Texas Tech fired him. Wash State had to give alumni donations back because of him
Leach has won seven bowl games. Tennessee has won fewer bowls during the same time period.

Your argument that the Texas national championship team with Vince Young was a “dwarf” isn’t a compelling one.

Texas Tech fired Leach because of the Adam James controversy, not because he wasn’t winning games. Other programs are cautious to hire him because they don’t want to deal with lawsuits resulting from the softness and tenderness of American men these days. “Real” programs hire Derek Dooley. “Real” programs hire Butch Jones. That doesn’t mean Dooley & Jones are better coaches than Leach.

You’re right that Washington State lost alumni donations, but UT will be paying Butch Jones for the foreseeable future and only stopped paying Dooley in 2016. We hemorrhage more money on stupid coaching hires than WSU does.

Reactions: rikberry31
December 2 1990 vs the Eagles, not 1989, was when they debuted the no huddle offense as their primary offense. Sorry boomer.
Nothing for you to apologize for...just football disagreement. I forgive you.

Leach has won seven bowl games. Tennessee has won fewer bowls during the same time period.

Your argument that the Texas national championship team with Vince Young was a “dwarf” isn’t a compelling one.

Texas Tech fired Leach because of the Adam James controversy, not because he wasn’t winning games. Other programs are cautious to hire him because they don’t want to deal with lawsuits resulting from the softness and tenderness of American men these days. “Real” programs hire Derek Dooley. “Real” programs hire Butch Jones. That doesn’t mean Dooley & Jones are better coaches than Leach.

You’re right that Washington State lost alumni donations, but UT will be paying Butch Jones for the foreseeable future and only stopped paying Dooley in 2016. We hemorrhage more money on stupid coaching hires than WSU does.
Their program has low buyouts because they hire low end coaches on purpose. Leach has been the best of a sorry lot since Price. High standards stuff. We have more money so we don’t hemorrhage.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

VN Store

Back